Aktimate maxi Booming

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Happy owner of Aktimate maxi for the last 4 months, however, having just moved flats and space being of a premium in the living room, wherever I place my maxi's they are somewhat closed in by wall cabinets. Not so much at the back (30cm's) but on the sides (3cm's) and unfourtunately this is causing alot of bass booming especially with bass heavy tracks. Any suggestions as to how i can minimise this problem. Moving them is not an option as I said, this is a tiny flat and the wife understandably doesn't want speakers in the middle of the room. They are on dedicated speaker stands. cheers.

A

Anonymous

I guess as they are rear ported and have to go in the position they are in then try port bungs in the rear......foam.....or rollled up socks.

D

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
brittondave:I guess as they are rear ported and have to go in the position they are in then try port bungs in the rear......foam.....or rollled up socks.

Err, one of the speakers has an amplifier in it.

I don't know for sure, but it's possible that the ports are also part of the ventilation for the amplifier.

Check with your instructions and/or the manufacturer before stuffing socks or bungs in them.

A

Anonymous

Yes understood. ........if instructions say it's ok then it could well solve the problem.

northernsoul

May 7, 2010
Visit site
brittondave:Yes understood. ........if instructions say it's ok then it could well solve the problem.

I experimented rolling up a pair of socks to eradicate a similar problem I am having with the mini's and whilst it did reduce bass bloom it also robbed the speaker of a fair bit of dynamic heft and left the sound a little flat on some recordings!

A

Anonymous

jeepers..............it's only a suggestion. It will either work or it won't!

A

Anonymous

Presumably the speakers are in or near the corner of the room. If so, try putting some soft furnishings into the corners, temporarily, to see if the booming reduces. For example, a couple of pillows in each or a cushion from your settee in each. If this helps then you need to consider what sort of bass trap you can implement on a more permanent basis.

A

Anonymous

Also, if the stands are filled can you unfill them?

Another thought, you can try placing the stands on granite slabs with spike shoes, perhaps a pair of supermarket saucepan stands (usually a tenner). I found that this made the bass a little more lean when I had bass issues.

dave_k

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
Wish you had tone and balance controls
emotion-5.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts