Airport Express Problem

harveymt

Jul 17, 2008
Visit site
Im getting skips with my Airport Express. After thinking it had nothing to do with the network I tried firewalls etc, but turns out it is likely to be the network as when I put my netbook beside the router the skips disappear. The router is up on the 2nd floor and Express on ground floor. I'd rather not move the router as I plug various things into it up there.

I have the Express set up to join my network, if I change that to extend my network will it work exactly the same way? But, by extending the network should that stop the patchiness that I think is affecting my playback?

A

Anonymous

Haven't tried that, though I don't think it would help as it sounds like you need to boost your signal by putting a repeater in before the AE in your network, say around the 1st floor.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
You could buy another airport express and put it in between and configure it to 'extend a wireless network'. I'm not sure what a dedicated wireless extender costs, but another AE is relatively cheap and it may facilitate another zone that you could play music in as a bonus.

A

Anonymous

I you do a google seach for something like airport express skipping I am sure you will get lots of hits. There are a lot of entries on the apple forums. I ended up sending my AE back as the skipping was drivig me mad.

Sorry I don't have a solution for you.

A

Anonymous

Different problem here as everyone has said. This is a strength of signal issue.

John Duncan

Dan Turner:You could buy another airport express and put it in between and configure it to 'extend a wireless network'. I'm not sure what a dedicated wireless extender costs, but another AE is relatively cheap and it may facilitate another zone that you could play music in as a bonus.

You could, but an extender would cost about 30/40 quid, whereas the AE is now up around the 80 quid mark. So if you don't want that extra zone capability, the extender is the better bet.

harveymt

Jul 17, 2008
Visit site
I've had a play with the position of the router. If I place it in the middle floor by the phone point I can get great signal downstairs in the front room on the netbook. As long as the signal strength remains Very Good or Excellent I can stream to Airport Express ok. If I move 3 or 4 metres into the kitchen the signal strength drops and the skips reoccur. Unfortunately, leaving the router here means my desktop upstairs won't connect due to a low signal.

I definately need my signal boosted. My in-laws got the same Sagem router from Sky and their house is exactly the same. You have to pick and choose where you sit to get a connection.

I had planned to get an N router (second hand off auction site is fairly cheap) but after a quick Google it seems that Sky don't let you use your own router? The information is a year or so old, so just wondering if this is still correct? There appears to be a way to get round this which I don't think I can post here but as an alternative workaround can you plug an N router into an ethernet port on the Sky router and connect to the internet through the N network into the Sky router? If that makes sense.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts