Advice please on 5.1 system choices

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi people.

I have just upgraded the TV to a Panasonic TX-P42V10 and now need to look at a decent sound system to compliment it.

SkyHD+ box. Sony BR player.

This is for a normal domestic lounge not a home cinema room so I need to excercise some visual restraint when is comes to the kit!

I have available - Cyrus 2 amp. Monitor Audio R352 speakers on Foundation Stands. Rel Strata11 subwoofer, all or none of which can be used.

I would like help and advice as to what to go for in terms of speakers and an amp to compliment the visual set up. I am not a gamer so the primary uses are for good day-to-day audio quality as a TV and for a good film experiance using the BR.

A

Anonymous

Any idea of a budget for the new kit? Make sure you also factor in the cost of speaker cables, hdmi cables, speaker stands etc.

A

Anonymous

1. What is the source of your music - you did not mention a cd player?

2. The Q Acoustics is about as good as any system for under £500.00. You could match this with an equally good AV amp from the likes of Denon - AVR1910, Sony - STR-DH800, Onkyo - TX-SR607 for under £400.00. Your choice of amp will depend on your listening taste, so choose carefully.

Visit www.hispek.com to get some ideas about set-ups and prices - I don't work for them, btw.

A

Anonymous

Many thanks for this - really helpful.

TBH I don't use the current separates at all these days so no CD player in the mix.

It is possible to get a 5.0 system as I already have the REL or does that immediately mean buying all the speakers as separates?

If the latter then is it worth even considering using my R352's at all these days and just adding a centre and rear speakers?

Sorry for all the questions!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The amps already mentioned would seem a sensible shortlist.

The main problem with retaining your current speakers will be getting a centre speaker to match them - in tonal terms. For that reason I think you'd do better to buy a new set of speakers - a centre, and two pairs for front left/right and rear left/right duties, though you could at a pinch get away with using your Monitor Audios as rear speakers in the short term.

Almost all the speakers available from the big brands as packages are also available to buy separately: for example, the components of the Q Acoustics 1010i 5.1 system you'd need would be two pairs of 1010i speakers, at online prices from £80 a pair upwards, and a single 1000Ci centre, for about the same money. Or you can buy a five-channel 1020i package, without a subwoofer, for £230 and upwards with minimal online searching.

In all these cases, your REL subwoofer will match perfectly well with these speakers.

A

Anonymous

Aren't you guys wonderful - thank you so much for pointing me in theright direction on this.

I shall go and have a look around. Excellent.

R

A

Anonymous

Just an update to let you know I have ordered a Denon AVR2310 and QAcoustics 2020 front/rear speakers and centre. This worked out just within my budget.

Let's hope they are as good as the reviews!

Thanks again for your help.

R

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts