Advice on speaker choice considering room size and speaker placement

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi I need some advice on choosing my new speaker set.

I've been wanting to upgrade my speakers (Jamo X510) for a long time, since I'm fairly sure they are the weakest link in my current setup (Cambridge Audio 640A & C).

So I've been reading some reviews and checked local stores and the two candidates it has come down to are.

Monitor Audio RX2

B&W 685

With the size of my room (3m x 4,6m) (9.8ft x 15.1ft) and the fact that the speakers will be standing on shelves no further than (80mm) (3.15") away from the wall I am worried that I'll get trouble with bass dominating the sound.

From what I read in reviews I'm actually leaning towards the RX2s, but they are rear ported where the B&Ws are front ported. So I guess to minimize the possibility of bass issues the B&Ws would be the safest choise. What do you say?

Another thing I'm unsure about is if those speakers in spite of being book shelve / wall-mount speakers are actually too big for my rather small livingroom. So maybe I'll get a better result from smaller speakers. Any thoughts here?

Here are pictures of my room and how the speakers will be positioned.

Room1.JPG

Room2.JPG

A

Anonymous

Forgot to mention I will be using them mostly for music. Mainly progressive rock (Yes, King Crimson, Porcupine Tree etc.) and all sorts of metal (Opeth, Necrophagist, Gojira etc.).

I appreciate a very clear and detailed sound with depth and seperation betweend different instruments.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Not disimilar to my room, I think the speakers are a tad high and 'bookshelf' is best termed stand mounts. That or small floor standers. I'll mention bass traps and try to keep speakers a little away from the walls. Others will recommend specific kit to consider.

A

Anonymous

Well could without too much trouble lower the shelves 130mm ... 5.12" and maybe get a pair of foam pads like these to angle the speakers slightly downwards.

supreme-speaker-pad-sp5-akustik.jpg

I looked for the Focal Chorus 705V but no local stores have them. What if I went for the smaller speakers like the Monitor Audio RX1 or B&W 686. I would be able to get them further from the wall, but they will probably not have the same dynamic range.

What do you think?

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I had the RX1's for a while but found they had too much bass in my room corners. I wouldn't advise them for near the wall use. Maybe the BX2 (front ported) or the smaller BX1 would do but not sure how they would match soundwise with the CA combo.

I have the Dali Lektor 2's which are amazing speakers for the money and are designed for use near a wall.

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi

The speaker position looks a rather high. Assuming the settee is your listening position I would have the speakers either side of the PC desk on 50cm or 60cm stands so that the tweeters are at ear level when seated. Would need to shift the amp/cd a little to fit the stand in.

With this arrangement one speaker would be in the corner and may create a little boom but the curtain may help there. Speaker wise I would say front ported as they're fairly close to the wall but would avoid any bright or forward sounding speakers for the CA combo.

The B&W 685's do need a bit of space around them and are quite a deep cabinet. Dal Zenzor 1 although rear ported may be ok but could be on the bright side with the CA amp & CD. Possibly the Focal 705 as they're front ported and not overly bright but can sound a tad 'polite' which may not suit rock.

Hope this helps.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for taking the time to advice me. I read other places that the RX1s are indeed too bassy if not properly removed from the wall so that's a no go then.

The Dali Lektor 1 or 2 seems like a good suggestion considering my limitations.

But I just came by a pair of used Monitor Audio Bronze B2s for a really good price. I read somewhere that they are a good match for my Cambridge setup. And they are front ported.

Any thoughts on the Monitor Audio Bronze B2 speakers?

!!d6g7m!!mM~$(KGrHqMOKiMEtlDM2+q5BLiuWmW8lg~~_35.JPG

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi, I agree the RX2's could be a bit too close to the wall on a small shelf. I own a pair of Dali Lektor 2's and they work well by the wall. These would be my choice along with Monitor Audio BX2.

Best not to discount the Dali Zenzor 1's either as they are highly praised. Theres always the Tannoy Revolution DC4. If you don't mind placing your speakers on stands slightly further away from the wall why not try the excellent Boston Acoustics A26 speakers.

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Plenty of choice there. The B2 I think is the original from the Bronze series from MA. Then it became the BR2 and now the BX2. Very good speakers and each model improves on the previous. Good bass from these with the 5" driver. I do prefer a smaller, slightly bass light speaker though for nearfield listening as my speakers are in room corners which can create unwanted bass frequencies and waves. My Advanced Acoustics bass traps help with that.

A

Anonymous

I think I'll go for the B2s. The price (110£ for the pair) is too good not to try. If I run into trouble with the bass I guess I can try port plugs or the EQ on the amp.

davidjt

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I, too am looking to upgrade my speakers, as possibly the weakest link: bel canto CD player; Cyrus Pre-XPd + PSX-R; Quad 909; PMC GB-1s. Having just tried a pair of Spendor A5s, very disappointed with the absence of any 'sparkle'. I was hoping for a more articulate sound, and do think the 3-way set-up maybe conveys a shade more mid detail, but the presence just isn't there. Listening is mainly classical and jazz and the room not that large. Beginning to think the PMCs are not that bad - any views on (for example) MA Gold Signature GS60s, or should I stick with what I've got? Upper limit is around £2K, not necessarily new.

Any advice much appreciated.

DJT

bluebrazil

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
i wasnt a fan of the gs range, especially the tweeters.

things improved a lot with the gx's and the ribbon tweeters but its only my opinion and i never compared the 2 side by side. if you can get an audition of the ma's they have got to be worth a try.

i think the main thing at this price point is to get a home demo as room interaction, as eluded to in the main post, is just as important as system matching. its finding a balance that works for your existing kit and room and all the recommendations that you get can only be seen as well meaning banter.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
bluebrazil said:
i wasnt a fan of the gs range, especially the tweeters.

things improved a lot with the gx's and the ribbon tweeters but its only my opinion and i never compared the 2 side by side. if you can get an audition of the ma's they have got to be worth a try.

i think the main thing at this price point is to get a home demo as room interaction, as eluded to in the main post, is just as important as system matching. its finding a balance that works for your existing kit and room and all the recommendations that you get can only be seen as well meaning banter.
Zackly.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts