Advice on new speakers

corum

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Hi. I've got the option to buy a new set of Monitor Audio RX1's for £375 (£50 off the going rate) as an upgrade to my existing system (see signature). I'm happy with what i've read about these speakers but would appreciate any opinions on whether

1. It would make a good match for my amp

2. Would be a significant improvement over my existing 5 star speakers

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

It'd be handy to know what music you generally listen to and also how your system is laid out (i.e. speakers close to wall/ with breathing room etc...)

Also what do you feel that you might be missing from your current speakers that new speakers will settle etc...?

The M/A RX1's are brilliant speakers but the likes of the B&W 685's should be considered as well at that level. If you have a little more £££ to spare then the M/A RX2's, Dynaudio DM 2/6's and the 2/7's should be looked at as well; even the EB Acoustic EB1's should be demo'd too if youre brave to do that...
smiley-wink.gif

From recolection the MS speakers you've got were good but a bit soft and loose with bass when driven well. The M/A RX1's will show none of that; they're solid, gutsy speakers with superb depth of soundstage along with brilliant, punchy bass, well timed midrange and treble

corum

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I listen to pretty much everything in equal measure. Classical, Rock, Ambient/Mellow, Blues, Folk, Ska.....

The speakers have a bit of breathing room behind which should be enough to accomodate for the RX's placement issues which some have reported.

Although my existing 902i's are five star speakers, their price bracket makes me think they are now the weak link in the system. They do seem a little light in the bass dept at times and were somewhat bright (tamed to some extent by a merlin mozart interconnect and van damme blue series speaker cable).

The RX2 et al are unfortunately a stretch too far budget wise and the B&W685's seem to have mixed reviews, so I have excluded from my shortlist (of 1)!

A

Anonymous

corum said:
They do seem a little light in the bass dept at times...

You will love them, they have a very deceptive amount of bass and authority. The RX1's are the first bookshelf speaker to truly shock me with what they can do. Granted they're no subwoofer replacement, but give some 10-12" behind them of breathing air and boy can they kick it out! If you dislike a bright speaker then you really will love them. Instrument seperation was really really good on them. I highly recommend them and I'm not a fan of metal drivers, Monitor Audio in general or bookshelf speakers! Buy with confidence.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts