Advice on good turntables 300-400 and please rate mine I have now?

tbird71

Mar 22, 2023
Visit site
OK, lookin to upgrade my 1980s SG Servo Automatic Technics SL-BD3 fitted with an almost new AT-3472P cartridge and stylus. It sounds great, so my question is, will I be bettering myself if I move up to a 300-400 turntable, or should I just keep this one? I have a Yamaha A-1000 Int Amp and PSB Stratus Gold Speakers. Wht's YOUR opinion if you were me as stated above? Appreciate it...

Welcome to the forum .
i am not familiar with that cartridge but I think you should hang on to what you currently have if it's still working for you as you're going to have to spend more than your budget to get much better.
PS.
having read up.on your cartridge it could certainly be improved but P Mount cartridges are sometimes difficult to come by also conical stylii can be improved on quite easily by replacing with an elliptical one.

tbird71

Mar 22, 2023
Visit site
Yeah, that's about what I concluded as well. Plus mine's dialed in great and works flawlessly any USED turntable may or may not work as good. The Cartridge is an AUDIO TECHNICA.....the old 1984 Yamaha A-1000 at 220 per side is still kickin great and you know what those huge PSB Stratus Golds can do...so you're saying stay on the porch and be happy or move into the 1000 range for a better turntable...

Attachments

• slbd3a.JPG
    slbd3a.JPG
    565.1 KB · Views: 11
  • slbd3b.JPG
    slbd3b.JPG
    535.5 KB · Views: 11

nads

Yeah, that's about what I concluded as well. Plus mine's dialed in great and works flawlessly any USED turntable may or may not work as good. The Cartridge is an AUDIO TECHNICA.....the old 1984 Yamaha A-1000 at 220 per side is still kickin great and you know what those huge PSB Stratus Golds can do...so you're saying stay on the porch and be happy or move into the 1000 range for a better turntable...
I had a Technics SL-DD33 which did me well up till about 2007 when I bought a Project turntable for just short of 1k.
So yes.

Any component can be bettered but how much of an improvement do you want? And will the rest of your system justify that outlay? If you're unsure or answer no, it's best to keep what you have until you can upgrade the lot.

Reactions: Nico69

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
Maybe so but it's still £150 over budget, and that's without the cost of a decent cartridge...
i wouldn´t keep this just because they have no anti-skating ,i also have a turntable without anti-skating , it works good but, some records in the last tracks sound very bad , normally records with more tracks in each side

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
I have since 1974 a pioneer turntable that looks better built than the ones on that year catalog , i used to play records there but if with a bit of more time per side ,the last tracks would sound horrible but a lot of them sounded good ,those with 37 minuts ,this LP´s, maxi-singles played there perfect, and if the stylus was new even better. Still have it working ,it came with the ES-2000 system i bought in japan while working in Africa and only recentely i found a colour brochure for this system , bought it on Ebay coming from Ireland ,i had the original box with instruction but written on the perpendicular(japanese characteres) it seemed a unfolded toilet paper . This was a receiver a turntable and a pair of speakers ,it had the matrix 4 that with an extra pair of speakers ,a pair of celestion ditton from my previous system(it burned while in Luanda, the moist there is impossible ,one only after 3 days can breathe good or almost good ) it had ,like it said on the brochure "the perfect surround"i saw several others in the last 20 years all were reading some records needing adjustment, sorry if i drifted away but it happens with age , and if anyone is interested in knowing this system i refer, it´s on youtube . In my opinion you have more knowledge than me but i would like someone to explain how this anti-skating or non existing one works , mine i have looked at him for several years only notice that where the arm meets it´s hanging point next to the counter weight ,instead of being secure it moves from one side to the other (sorry but i can´t explain myself better in english technical terms)hope you can undrstand what i mean, regards

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts