Advice needed for upgrade path.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, i have a Marantz CD6000Ki with a Marantz PM7200 amp, with Wharfedale Pi10 speakers.

I am looking to get more detail from my system and I tend to listen to accoustic indie/folk/rock music. My initial thoughts were on a loudspear upgrade with models such as Epos M5 and B&W CM1. The problem is they need to be placed close to the wall and fill a reasonable size room (5m x 3m, firing along the 5m length), tall ask I know. The wharfedales are resonabley dynamic and full enough but i feel thier is more in the rest of the system waiting to get out.

When i listen through my sennheiser HD595's the sound is far more detailed and articulate and i would like to get some of this quality through the speakers.

Is thier any speakers you would recomend to go with this Amp/CD combo?

Also what are your opinions on clock upgrades for the CD6000KI, as i have seen some on ebay recently, are these upgrades a noticable improvement for the outlay or would investing in a new player be the better option?

Any help / advice much appreciated.

Regards.

Dave

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
B&W are the more of a all rounder but the Epos has plenty of boogie. I wouldn't bother with the superclock mod (I had one), not because it doesn't work but I found money better spend on a new cdp.

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
i had your amp and it will, with the right speakers sing also your cd player is more than good enough to take an upgrade of speaker. mordaunt short are nice and thaiman has pointed out the epos boogie factor, lovely speaker as is the usher 520.on the floorstander front the rega r3 is simply great and i urge all who are thinking of a small floorstander to audition this speaker.good luck,gregory.

A

Anonymous

Gregory, which speakers did you use with the marantz amp? Was it a Mordaunt Short model, if so which one?

I think i may go for the epos, but nor 100% convinced yet. Will the epos fill the room and can anyone comment on thier ability to pick out detail within the mix of the music.

Thanks for the comments guys, all the help i can get is much appreciated.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Hi Dave

You've got a great amp and CD player, and despite their relatively small size, the Epos M5s would be excellent with your electronics. When we last tested them, we gave them five stars and said: "The M5s are musical and communicative to a degree that evades all but the very best speakers at this price..

"...integration between the bass/midrange driver and the metal-dome tweeter is tremendous... although there's no escaping the fact that their physical limitations mean the rib-rattling low-end presence some deem essential isn't available here, but the bass they do generate is taut and solid".

So they'll have no problem picking out detail within the mix and filling your room, but if you want heavy-duty bass, then you might want to consider something else.

Our current Product of the Year, the £380 B&W 685s, might be worth a look (and listen) too.

A

Anonymous

Cheers for the reply Andy.

Just another quickie if i may.

I have recently listened to the Wharfedale 9.1's (coincidence not brand loyality) on my system and while simaler to the pi10 in overall sound they just lacked out and out dynamic presence and that final detail in the midrange and punch. Which just makes me think twice about smaller cabinets and drive units.

How do the Epos m5's compare with the 9.1's (I know the price difference puts them in a higher league but as a bench mark) and where would i sonically notice the differences. Just so i can get it clear in my mind what to expect.

Thanks again.

Regards.

Dave.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts