Advice needed for Tannoy 633 Plus speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I have a pair of Tannoy 633 Plus speakers. I bought them secondhand and am trying to set up a hi fi with them. There seems to be very help available and with the lack of hi fi shops around nowadays a forum like this seems like my only hope!

I am unsure what sockets I need for the back, and there are 4 sockets, not 2 as speakers usually have. Can anybody tell me why this is? Can anybody suggest what type of sockets I need?

Here's a link to a picture of the back of them:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/56430061@N03/5213992495/

Thanks for your help

Joe

A

Anonymous

They're bi-wireable, that's all, just like mine. If you don't want to biwire, make sure the metal strips are as far right as they'll go. At the moment it looks like they're set for biwire.

Once you've pushed the strips to the right, connect them to your amp with two wires per side as usual.

Edit: They take standard banana plugs which you can buy from your local hifi dealer or Maplins .

DavieCee

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
If you are not bi-wiring or bi-amping you only need connect to two. One red and one black. The brass rails then connect the two red connections together and the other connects the two black connections. Red and black should never be connected.

A

Anonymous

Hi DavieCee, yes, that's right, but at the moment they're set for biwire so the metal strips need to be pushed to the right. One connects the two blacks together and the other the two reds. You'll need to tighten up the four plastic nuts tightly otherwise you won't get any sound.

You then connect the wire from the black out on the amp to one of the black ins on the speaker and the red out on the amp to one of the red inputs on the speakers.

A

Anonymous

Thanks a lot for the advice!

I also need to find a suitable amplifier. I think these speakers are 175watt and i'm thinking about getting a standard type of amp, such as a Cambridge Audio one, like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170568902266&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Would anyone be able to advise if this will do the speakers justice? Can anyone recommend reasonable priced speaker wire?

Thanks again!

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
The Cambridge is a good machine, but at 30wpc I'd be looking for something with a bit more grunt for your particular speakers.

Steve's Hi-Fi have a Yamaha AX-630 (85wpc) for £75. Fully serviced and with 3 months warranty.
For more info on the amp look here.

As for speaker cable (and banana plugs) check out ThatCable.com.

A

Anonymous

At the time these Tannoys came out they were often paired with Marantz, as I think they were distributed by the same company. NAD is another option. I haven't tried the Cambridge Audio model you suggest, but I'd think they could take a considerably better amplifier than that.

The 175W figure you mention is the peak maximum, by the way. They should work fine with amps from 20 to 100W. I'd go for 40-50w myself - they're not particularly difficult to drive.

Nice speakers, by the way, and welcome to the forum!

A

Anonymous

Once again, thanks for the help!

This has been really helpful. I'm looking forward to getting them up and running.

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
Grottyash:The 175W figure you mention is the peak maximum, by the way. They should work fine with amps from 20 to 100W. I'd go for 40-50w myself - they're not particularly difficult to drive.
That's correct. The specifications are:

Peak power / channel: 175W
Recommended amp power / channel: 10 - 100W
Nominal impedance: 8 ohm
Minimum impedance: 5 ohm
Sensitivity: 89 dB

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts