Advice for speaker cables.

zilli

May 5, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

I'm new to the Hi-Fi world, so bear with me. :doh:

I just bought the Mission MX-5 speakers and now I would like to know which kind of cables do I need to get? Do the cable use banana connectors? If yes, which kind?

FYI, I'm paring the MX-5 with Roksan Kandy K2.

Thank you,
Zilli

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
depends on how much cable you want.

Start with what ever you have at this time then try a reasonably priced cable - my preference is for QED cables try the Silver Annivsary range around 5english pounds a metre and go from there.

TrevC

zilli said:
Hello,

I'm new to the Hi-Fi world, so bear with me. :doh:

I just bought the Mission MX-5 speakers and now I would like to know which kind of cables do I need to get? Do the cable use banana connectors? If yes, which kind?

FYI, I'm paring the MX-5 with Roksan Kandy K2.

Thank you,
Zilli

Ebay do some nice cheap 4mm copper multistrand. Make isn't relevant, as the conductivity of copper is universal..

Hi Zilli

I'll recommend that you should consider using standard standard standard 79 strand OFC or at a push 500 strand OFC speaker cables which you should also be able to pick up from most local electrical stores for little money.

Btw, what source component/s and cable/s will you be using please?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
WTH Steve! Stop implanting bromance, there was none.
316196.gif

iMark

Here's some interesting reading with myths about speaker cable.

http://www.audioholics.com/audio-video-cables/audio-cable-break-in-science-or-psychological

"Interestingly, the New Scientists recently commented on the London Heathrow Hi Fi Show, saying that among the cables selling for up to £30,000 for 6 metres, they found Quad demonstrating their latest speakers to great enthusiasm. The orange cable to the speakers looked oddly familiar. When asked about it, Tony Faulkner, the recording engineer demonstrating them (who'd used the speakers as monitors while recording Saint-Saen's complete works for piano & orchestra, Gramophone's Record of the Year), said of the cables:

"Yes, they would look familiar if you have a garden. Before the show opened we went over the road to the DIY superstore and bought one of those £20 extension leads that Black & Decker sells for electric hedge-cutters. They are made from good, thick copper wire, look nice and sound good to me. The show's been running for three days and no one in the audience has noticed..." - New Scientist Magazine"

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts