Advice for New TV

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all, first post so please be gentle. My 25" Toshiba is about to throw a leg out of bed following 11 years of faithful service, including several house moves and attacks from my two little lovely daughters. Seems like the ideal time to upgrade to a widescreen/flatpanel tv.

It will be in our sunroom which is south facing and quite bright, so I believe that LCD may be the better option, but I'm open to advice. Think a 40" panel, give or take a couple of inches, would be the ideal size. Probably upgrading everything so will be getting an upscaling DVD and eventually a Blue ray player.

Mainly the use will be Sky Digital and I wouldn't mind getting an XBOX360 to use on my new tv. I'll post in Home Cinema for those recommendations.

Budget would be about £1000 but I'm prepared to pay less if required!

Thanks in advance

Jason

John Duncan

I'd take a plasma over LCD every time, but in bright conditions as you describe, I think it's obligatory. Panasonic plasmas start at 37" for 600 or so, and are worth every penny, to my mind.

A

Anonymous

I know the picture quality on the Panasonics are great, but I had been told that because of the glass screen on Plasmas, it would cause too many reflections. I may be handsome but I don't want to look at myself when catching up on Top Gear!

Anyone any experience of these in bright conditions?

SpiceWeasel

Apr 10, 2008
Visit site
Well if it's any help my old 32" crt was much worse for screen reflections than my new Pany 42" plasma. They do have an anti reflective coating on the glass which seems to work pretty well.

Your best bet is to try and have alook at both types of screen and see what you think.

A

Anonymous

I dont think a conservatory (sun room) is the best place for plasma. They dont look good in bright surroundings (blacks go milky grey..) LCDs would handle this situation a lot better.

My plasma is in a south facing room, with the TV at right angles to the windows. I have to draw half the curtains if the sun shines in, to keep it off the TV. As we dont get too much sun these days, the majority of the time it is fine, and obviously its great in the evenings when most serious TV watching is done. But I wouldnt put it in a conservatory.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts