Advice for a wireless setup

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I'm considering redoing my hifi setup and would love a bit of advice from you guys.

What I own: a pair of Jamo Cornet 40 speakers (that I enjoy), an old Technics SU-300 2x30W amp (that I would not regret too much), a Spotify premium account, a macbook air and iPad. I also have a turntable and vinyls but hevn't been using it in a long time.

What I'd like to have: very simple setup that allows to listen to Spotify on speakers in the living room, some mp3s stored locally. I'd also like to be able to listen to listen to music in the bathroom.

What I'm considering:

- Full Sonos setup with Connect:Amp and existing speakers in the living room + Play:3 in the bathroom. It sounds simple, the main drawback I see is lack of versatility for other sources, and also I really like the desktop Spotify app (apps, radio etc) and the Sonos Spotify doesn't seem as good

- Airplay solution either with Apple TV or Airport express. Is the sound quality good? What should I connect between the Apple TV and the amp, is that a DAC? Any recommandations? Also, what shoud I use in the bathroom?

- More traditionnal solution with ceiling speakers in the bathroom, but sounds like too much of a hassle.

Looking forward to hearing your recommendations, thanks!

Vincentim.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Cheapest way is to add an airport express to your amp and use your iPad in the bathroom for playing music pulled from the cloud or the Macbook Air.

Activate homeshare for the iPad/Macbook to do this. Spotify will stream to the Macbook and then to AEX for the living room.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I use a simple bluetooth receiver from logitech to stream spotify to my main stereo from my laptop. Sounds fine. - I believe they also do some battery powered bluetooth speakers if you can't be bothered to properly and safely wire in anything mains powered for the bathroom.

regards

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
vincentim said:
Hi,

I'm considering redoing my hifi setup and would love a bit of advice from you guys.

What I own: a pair of Jamo Cornet 40 speakers (that I enjoy), an old Technics SU-300 2x30W amp (that I would not regret too much), a Spotify premium account, a macbook air and iPad. I also have a turntable and vinyls but hevn't been using it in a long time.

What I'd like to have: very simple setup that allows to listen to Spotify on speakers in the living room, some mp3s stored locally. I'd also like to be able to listen to listen to music in the bathroom.

What I'm considering:
- Full Sonos setup with Connect:Amp and existing speakers in the living room + Play:3 in the bathroom. It sounds simple, the main drawback I see is lack of versatility for other sources,

That'll be fine, the connect and connect:amp have line-in (as does the play:5 thinking about it), any line in can be played on any zone.

and also I really like the desktop Spotify app (apps, radio etc) and the Sonos Spotify doesn't seem as good

There is a new spotify app for sonos just available in the last week or so. No idea how good it is though I don't use it.

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys for you answers.

The Sonos setup sounds fine but would force me to use Sonos application who do not replicate the full Spotify experience (apps etc). Plus I like the versatility of having an amp that can work with any source and will still work in 5 years.

So I'm really considering using Airplay to transmit to an amp + speakers.
Is the quality good enough when connected through Airplay between MacBook or iPad and Airport Express of Apple TV? I could also use a DAC between the AEX and amp, is that necessary?

Thanks.

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
I use an airport express to stream from my PC and iphone directly to my amp. With cd's burnt in lossless it sounds fine, almost indistinguishable from my cd player.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts