Advice for a good amp + wi-fi streaming with Totem Sttaf

Hi all,

I am new to the forum and I came here to ask for guidance to build my first hi-fi system.

With some luck, I managed to get a pair of Totem Sttaf and I would like to use my mac book air (early 2015) as audio source. My wish is to set-up a stereo system that allows me to stream audiophile-ish sound to my Sttaf. I believe I need a good sounding amplifier and, if needed, a streaming box. My budget is 700-800 euro and I am happy to consider second hand equipment.

I would like to compromise as little as possible the sound quality for some versatility (wireless audio streaming from laptop). I have been researching for a while and decided to avoid Airplay technology (Airport Express, Apple TV, etc.) due to unwanted upscaling or poor in-built DAC, Bluetooth Aptx (NAD D3020) due to signal instability. I only heard about Arcam r-Link, Bluesound node and Chromecast Audio but, not knowing much, I am afraid of looking in the wrong direction.

Which set-up would you suggest?

Thanks,

Marco

Marco Piovesan said:
Hi all,

I am new to the forum and I came here to ask for guidance to build my first hi-fi system.

With some luck, I managed to get a pair of Totem Sttaf and I would like to use my mac book air (early 2015) as audio source. My wish is to set-up a stereo system that allows me to stream audiophile-ish sound to my Sttaf. I believe I need a good sounding amplifier and, if needed, a streaming box. My budget is 700-800 euro and I am happy to consider second hand equipment.

I would like to compromise as little as possible the sound quality for some versatility (wireless audio streaming from laptop). I have been researching for a while and decided to avoid Airplay technology (Airport Express, Apple TV, etc.) due to unwanted upscaling or poor in-built DAC, Bluetooth Aptx (NAD D3020) due to signal instability. I only heard about Arcam r-Link, Bluesound node and Chromecast Audio but, not knowing much, I am afraid of looking in the wrong direction.

Which set-up would you suggest?

Thanks,

Marco

Welcome Marco.

The biggest problem are your speakers. The Totems are wonderful but need top notch amplification... one thing your budget doesn't allow for - even with s/hand I'm struggling to suggest a suitable amp.

With your Mac you'll need an amp with digital connectivity, and other than budget amps or higher end...: The former won't do your speakers justice and the latter isn't attainable with your budget.

If you can source one then Cambridge 840 would have all the connectivity without adding a Dac. You might want to look at Abrahamsen amplifiers, although the entry-level model is still a little over budget.

You'll need to find what brands are available locally to you, and find which ones make those Totems sing, and find how short you are to your prefered budget.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
That chromecast Audio reads terrific.

You can then spend the rest on a good amp perhaps with built-in DAC. That way you probably have more choice than looking for all the required features in one unit.

Hi plastic penguin,

Thanks for your tips! I will see what I can find around here.

For what I know, my macbook air only offers a 3.5mm headphone jack as audio output (beside the Mini DisplayPort output) so, I was keen to bypass the internal apple conversion by using an external box though, I am still uncertain about the quality of those, like Chromecast, for instance.

How much would I have to stretch my budget to get a decent ampli with digital connectivity?

So far, I only tried a Marantz PM6005 and it was able to drive the speakers but, I am not sure if it does justice.

TRENDING THREADS