Adding speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, pretty new to all this and just looking for a bit of help.

Ive got the cambridge audio 640a v.2 and running some mordaunt short 914 floorstanders off it.

Im wanting to add some bookshelf speakers to it also. Just wondering:

1. will my amp be able to run another set of speakers alright?

2. will the sound and volume be affected on the floorstanders?

3. with a budget of around £200 what speakers would be recommended?

Thanks alot.

A

Anonymous

You can certainly connect a second set of speakers to the "B" outputs on the back of your amp. pressing the "B" button on the front will then send sound to both sets of speakers AFAIK.

You may hear some reduction in volume with both sets running and you need to make sure that the speaker impedance is between 6 -8 ohm for all speakers you connect.

There are some great bargins to be had on speakers at the moment but my advice is always to go and listen as choosing speakers is a very subjective thing.

A

Anonymous

Cheers for that welshboy,

How do I make sure that the impedance is between 6-8, will it just say when buying the speakers or is there something I need to set for that.

Thanks for the help.

A

Anonymous

All speakers will have the impedance information in the specs. The dealer should be able to help when choosing. As far as I know the majority of speakers are rated at around 8 ohms. It will only really matter when you are playing both speakers at the same time. If you check the review section on this web site you will find the impedance information on the specs tab for speakers. Good Luck.

A

Anonymous

Cheers for that, will have a look on there and probably pop into richer sounds tomorrow to have a look. Like the look of the M&S 902s because they'll match the floor standers ive already got, thing is though, they say between 4-8 ohms. Is that still alright does it specifically have to say just 8ohms? Decided I dont mind spending a bit more on some decent speakers so also looking at the KEF IQ3s and some B&W 685s.

A

Anonymous

Sorry, just one more question..

Do you think it would be worth it to add bookshelves to my set up? I mean will the sound be improved with 4 speakers or would I be better off replacing my existing speakers with some much better ones?

Cheers.

A

Anonymous

Thought that might be the case. Shame, I like my current speakers and was hoping that adding a couple of bookshelf speakers at the other end of the room would improve the sound.

Messiah

What you have to bear in mind is that the sound is mastered to be reproduced in stereo - just two speakers in front of you. Two speakers in front and behind will sound a lot worse!

The best way to improve the sound is to buy better speakers. Or of you like the sound, stick with what you have.

What improvement are you looking for??

A

Anonymous

Ah right, of course. I should of realised that! Either i'll upgrade my speakers or put the money to better use. Maybe buy a DAC or new CD player.

Thanks for help, appreciate it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts