Adding a power amp benefits

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I am sure this has been asked several times in the past but I going to receive my new power amp soon. What a true benefits of adding it to me Roksan intergrated. I could either bi-amp which brings the obvious advantage of more power but what else? or use the pre outs and let the power amp drive the the speakers and the intergrated used for the controlling of the volume. Has anyone tried both?

Regards,

Me

The main benefits of adding a power amp is it gives the integrated greater control, bass definition and midrange detail. However, given the power amp is the same wattage as the integrated there won't be any noticeable increase in power*.

*A purer current means a sweeter delivery

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Plastic Penguin. I will be trying both options of course but for some reason my gut is telling me just to add the power amp and let it drive the speakers...don't really need more power but want that extrs dimension to an already great sounding system to me :)

ANWKLO

May 12, 2010
Visit site
gbhsi1 said:
Hi,

I am sure this has been asked several times in the past but I going to receive my new power amp soon. What a true benefits of adding it to me Roksan intergrated. I could either bi-amp which brings the obvious advantage of more power but what else? or use the pre outs and let the power amp drive the the speakers and the intergrated used for the controlling of the volume. Has anyone tried both?

Regards,

Me

Waiting for your report :)

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/roksan-caspian-m1-stereo-power-amp#comment-2682151

SteveR750

Does bi-amping really make *that* much difference? I contemplated this with my K2 but the cost of rhe extra amp just to power th tweeters separately from the bass driver seemed poor value for money. I know what Spendor thinks of bi-amping (they ditched the second set of terminals with the A series). I couldn't hear much difference if any, though bridged mono amps were a big change (for the same additional cost).

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
Does bi-amping really make *that* much difference? I contemplated this with my K2 but the cost of rhe extra amp just to power th tweeters separately from the bass driver seemed poor value for money. I know what Spendor thinks of bi-amping (they ditched the second set of terminals with the A series). I couldn't hear much difference if any, though bridged mono amps were a big change (for the same additional cost).

IMO Bi-amping generally makes a decent difference, and if you have the amps already there (eg. The 2 spare on a 7 channel amp), it is worth doing.

....but if starting from scratch, you are usually better getting one amp that's twice as expensive (and save on the extra cabeling).

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
When I added a power amp and bi-amped my speakers, there was a large and impressive improvement across the board.

The questions I can't answer are; whether to use the integrated as a pre and only run speakers from the power amp, (never tried it), or whether you're better off buying an integrated to the same value as your existing int & power.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts