Adam ARTist actives

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

roym90

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Would that suggest that they could be described as bright/harsh? Which is the problem I have with my current system.

I'm keen to try some actives partly to avoid the whole amp and speaker matching thing; with different combinations giving a different sound etc.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
roym90 said:
Would that suggest that they could be described as bright/harsh? Which is the problem I have with my current system.

I'm keen to try some actives partly to avoid the whole amp and speaker matching thing; with different combinations giving a different sound etc.

No, they are neither bright nor harsh, the latest X-Art tweeters are great. Active speakers of this type do not usually have the 'warmth' of many passive designs, once you adjust you will find going back difficult, at the same sort of price level anyway.

All the Adam speakers have a degree of adjustment built in, makes them pretty easy to adjust for (almost) any room, the power amps are connected directly to the drive units, no loses through passive crossovers so ample power unless you are looking at huge studio/club sound levels.

These speakers are in my view, more neutral and transparent than conventional speakers amps at this sort of price, not everyone gets on with this though, certainly as far as this forum is concerned.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
The ARTist 3s are now set up in my study at home. (Their ultimate destination, if I keep them, is my office at work, but the office move has been delayed by a few days.)

The advantage of having them set up at home for a few days is that I can compare them with my study system. OK, an unfair comparison (£550 actives against a £3K passive system) but it could be interesting nonetheless.

I'll report back later.

Matt

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
matt49 said:
The ARTist 3s are now set up in my study at home. (Their ultimate destination, if I keep them, is my office at work, but the office move has been delayed by a few days.)

The advantage of having them set up at home for a few days is that I can compare them with my study system. OK, an unfair comparison (£550 actives against a £3K passive system) but it could be interesting nonetheless.

I'll report back later.

Matt

Sounds like fun, careful how you 'mount' the speakers on the desktop, I use these.....

audioengine-ds2-speaker-stand-wedge.jpg

AudioEngine stands, Adam do something similar.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
Sounds like fun, careful how you 'mount' the speakers on the desktop, I use these.....

I may need a pair of those for the office, when the speakers will actually be on the desk. For now they're pointing forward off a bookshelf, so no risk of reflections immediately in front of them.

Mmm, nice inky blacks in that pic ...

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
matt49 said:
davedotco said:

I may need a pair of those for the office, when the speakers will actually be on the desk. For now they're pointing forward off a bookshelf, so no risk of reflections immediately in front of them.

Mmm, nice inky blacks in that pic ...

What about the gloss finish? I found it to be not the greatest to be honest, what are your's like?

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
In their gloss white incarnation the Adams are smart little boxes. A slight bevel on the front and side edges makes them look neat and may mean they’re less likely to get damaged in the rough and tumble of an office desk. The grilles attach magnetically, which is tidy, though the volume control, 3.5mm input and power switch make the front look quite “busy”. The gloss finish isn’t entirely smooth, so the boxes are a bit less reflective than high gloss would be, which IMO is no bad thing for a desktop.

I have them running via USB from my Windows PC playing ALAC files and using their internal DAC. The L and R are identical, and either can act as master. The speakers connected to one another by a single RCA. There are two “stereolink” sockets on rear for this purpose, input and output, and you connect the output of the master, but oddly not to the “stereolink” input of slave, rather to its standard RCA input. I had to put in a call to dealer to sort this out, as the speakers didn’t come with instructions and the links to the instruction manual on the Adam website seem to be dead.

The SQ is very impressive for the price (£549 new for a pair; the ones I have are £450 ex-dem). In what follows I’m going to be a bit critical, but I do really think these are excellent at their price point and small format.

It’s a cohesive and dynamic sound with tight and controlled bass, although to me the bass doesn’t seem very tuneful. In fact they’re slightly bass heavy, in a rather German way. I grant this may be because of where I’ve sat them on the bookshelf which could give rise to a bit of boom from their rear slot port. (My SFs also have a slot port, but it’s at the front of the box, and they don’t boom at all). I’ll try them in free space on a desk later. It’ll also be interesting to hear them close up: at the moment they’re 6ft away.

They certainly resolve lots of detail and give a clear window on the structure of the music, and they retain this insightfulness even at low volumes. I tried them briefly at high volume and they’re very impressive.

The treble is nicely controlled and generally transparent, just a little bit grainy, so that e.g. hi-hats can seem a tad woolly. In fact there’s a slight roughness right across the freq range, most noticeably with vocals and acoustic instruments (esp. piano) around the 1KHz to 4KHz range. This causes a bit of muddiness with vocals; that’s one of the main differences from the SFs which are clearer and more airy.

In fact the SFs are, as you’d expect given the price difference, more transparent and purer in all departments, without the slightest roughness. They’re on the end of much more expensive electronics though. I wouldn’t say the Adams have a colder or drier sound; just not as clear.

But they do seem remarkable value and quality for £550 new, considering the package includes amps and DAC. A more appropriate comparison would be Q Acoustics Concept 20. I’d also be interested to compare them with the Neat Iotas I have downstairs: I reckon the Iotas’ treble is cleaner, but they’re £700 a pair.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Interesting, not quite what I might have expected.

For what it is worth I like the bass shelving controls that are on the larger models, very useful for tailoring the response to the room, I usually end up with a degree of bass cut.

I find the midrange to be one of their strong points, but then I do not have a pair of Fabers on hand........ :cry:

Love to hear what you make of the comparisons with the other speakers you mention.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
Interesting, not quite what I might have expected.

For what it is worth I like the bass shelving controls that are on the larger models, very useful for tailoring the response to the room, I usually end up with a degree of bass cut.

I find the midrange to be one of their strong points, but then I do not have a pair of Fabers on hand........ :cry:

Love to hear what you make of the comparisons with the other speakers you mention.

I have the Adams and the SF system running exactly in parallel, i.e. playing the same files at the same time, switching between the two. Interesting. I can't do the same comparison with the Iotas as they're mounted high up on the wall in my dining room. I mentioned the Q Acoustics speculatively as a possible comparison, but I don't actually have a pair.

I agree the mid-range of the Adams is excellent, though as I said, I find a slight roughness there. Again quite speculatively, I think this may be more down to the electronics than the speakers. Upstream of the SFs is an MDAC modded by John Westlake. It's a thing of beauty. The output is heavily biased to Class A, and through my Hifiman planar 'phones it's quite extraordinary. Tough competition.

So the Adams have done jolly well. I'll decide tomorrow whether they're keepers.

:cheers:

Matt

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
In that comparison I assume you are running both via the MDAC, is that the case?

Sorry to be a pain and keep quizzing you, but you are doing a few things that I would love to be able to do. While I do not for one instance miss being a dealer, I do miss some of the 'perks' of the job......

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
In that comparison I assume you are running both via the MDAC, is that the case?

Sorry to be a pain and keep quizzing you, but you are doing a few things that I would love to be able to do. While I do not for one instance miss being a dealer, I do miss some of the 'perks' of the job......

No worries at all. I like being asked to think about what I'm doing. I'm learning ... slowly.

The Adams are using their own internal DAC straight from a PC via USB, which is how I'll use them in my office. The other system is:

Sonos ZP90 (modded clock and PSU) --> MDAC (Lakewest level 3 "Toy" upgrade)* --> Cyrus X Power --> SF Venere 1.5.

I could feed the Adams from the MDAC; might try that over the weekend.

You're welcome to come round and play with the kit any time. I'm in W4.

Matt

* this is one of the mods done by John Westlake under his (soon-to-be) Westlake brand.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
matt49 said:
In their gloss white incarnation the Adams are smart little boxes. A slight bevel on the front and side edges makes them look neat and may mean they’re less likely to get damaged in the rough and tumble of an office desk. The grilles attach magnetically, which is tidy, though the volume control, 3.5mm input and power switch make the front look quite “busy”. The gloss finish isn’t entirely smooth, so the boxes are a bit less reflective than high gloss would be, which IMO is no bad thing for a desktop.

I have them running via USB from my Windows PC playing ALAC files and using their internal DAC. The L and R are identical, and either can act as master. The speakers connected to one another by a single RCA. There are two “stereolink” sockets on rear for this purpose, input and output, and you connect the output of the master, but oddly not to the “stereolink” input of slave, rather to its standard RCA input. I had to put in a call to dealer to sort this out, as the speakers didn’t come with instructions and the links to the instruction manual on the Adam website seem to be dead.

The SQ is very impressive for the price (£549 new for a pair; the ones I have are £450 ex-dem). In what follows I’m going to be a bit critical, but I do really think these are excellent at their price point and small format.

It’s a cohesive and dynamic sound with tight and controlled bass, although to me the bass doesn’t seem very tuneful. In fact they’re slightly bass heavy, in a rather German way. I grant this may be because of where I’ve sat them on the bookshelf which could give rise to a bit of boom from their rear slot port. (My SFs also have a slot port, but it’s at the front of the box, and they don’t boom at all). I’ll try them in free space on a desk later. It’ll also be interesting to hear them close up: at the moment they’re 6ft away.

They certainly resolve lots of detail and give a clear window on the structure of the music, and they retain this insightfulness even at low volumes. I tried them briefly at high volume and they’re very impressive.

The treble is nicely controlled and generally transparent, just a little bit grainy, so that e.g. hi-hats can seem a tad woolly. In fact there’s a slight roughness right across the freq range, most noticeably with vocals and acoustic instruments (esp. piano) around the 1KHz to 4KHz range. This causes a bit of muddiness with vocals; that’s one of the main differences from the SFs which are clearer and more airy.

In fact the SFs are, as you’d expect given the price difference, more transparent and purer in all departments, without the slightest roughness. They’re on the end of much more expensive electronics though. I wouldn’t say the Adams have a colder or drier sound; just not as clear.

But they do seem remarkable value and quality for £550 new, considering the package includes amps and DAC. A more appropriate comparison would be Q Acoustics Concept 20. I’d also be interested to compare them with the Neat Iotas I have downstairs: I reckon the Iotas’ treble is cleaner, but they’re £700 a pair.

Interesting write up. Thanks for posting. :)

I'm keen to hear how they'll sound from the MDAC.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Would be interesting to see how they fare driven from the MDAC, I doubt the onboard usb dac is asyncronous, might be a noise issue mucking up the midrange.

Back in the day, when you listened to your system and it sounded like there was muck on your stylus, 999 times out of 1000 there was muck on your stylus.

With digital you really just don't know, on another thread I said I was sure that my Macbook via optical sounded better than via Airplay, Chebby (for it was he) suggested that on his system their was no difference.

That got me delving deep into my software and system preferences to try and make sure it is not my software and the way it is set up that is causing the problem, takes a while, I am no computer expert.

L.L

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi there

I have recently purchased a pair of Adam Artist 3 and as everyone knows Adam sound really good althought something is really bothering me, the silence on this speaker are a continous buzz when it are anything over 10 o'clock on the volume ***. The buzzing sound starts really low but it grows as you increase the volume, It does make a big difference when you use XLR out put instead USB port.

After all I might be wrong if I was unluck enough to get a bad pair but as it has being replaced once as I thought it was fault and still have the same prob I would consider getting another monitor.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
L.L said:
Hi there

I have recently purchased a pair of Adam Artist 3 and as everyone knows Adam sound really good althought something is really bothering me, the silence on this speaker are a continous buzz when it are anything over 10 o'clock on the volume ***. The buzzing sound starts really low but it grows as you increase the volume, It does make a big difference when you use XLR out put instead USB port.

After all I might be wrong if I was unluck enough to get a bad pair but as it has being replaced once as I thought it was fault and still have the same prob I would consider getting another monitor.

It is almost certainly a ground issue. What dac/source are you using and what cables?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts