Adam A7X Special Edition

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
adam_a7x_special_edition_2_1.jpg

Hnnggg. Just a 200 pound premium per pair for the pretty finish.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I wonder if Adam are looking at the hi-fi market?

The £200 price differential suggests they might be, pro companies seem convinced that hi-fi customers should pay more than 'professionals'.

One of my favourite speakers, the Unity Audio 'Rock Monitor' has a hi-fi 'version', £400+ extra for gloss paint and a phono input....!

Are hi-fi enthusiasts really that gullible? Looking at some of the prices charged by hi-fi companies, perhaps they are.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure about gullible, but people are prepared to pay a premium for equipment to feel more like furniture. I've considered what options I have to make my Adams more living room friendly (paint job or veneer, even just a wood pattern vinyl).

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
They could provide a magnetically attached grille to hide the fugliness and keep the dust off the drivers.

They also do gloss black which is so out-of-date now that speakers no longer have to match televisions that were (almost) universally made with gloss black plastic back in the old days ...

IS478077-01-02-BIG.jpg

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
ID. said:
I'm not sure about gullible, but people are prepared to pay a premium for equipment to feel more like furniture. I've considered what options I have to make my Adams more living room friendly (paint job or veneer, even just a wood pattern vinyl).

I was speaking more generally here, the A7x in question makes no claims to be anything but a finish option, which is fair enough.

I was thinking more along the lines of expensive dacs and stand alone streamers which seem specifically designed to unburden the unwary of their savings.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
davedotco said:
ID. said:

I was speaking more generally here, the A7x in question makes no claims to be anything but a finish option, which is fair enough.

I was thinking more along the lines of expensive dacs and stand alone streamers which seem specifically designed to unburden the unwary of their savings.

surely we can come up with some semi plausible advantage to machining casework from a single billet of aluminium?

Damping to protect the delicate electronics from vibrations? Your kit will soon me better because it looks sexier.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I did some work for Wadia some years back and their original 2000 dac really was housed in an enclosure milled from solid, not just the front panal or sections, the whole thing in one piece.

Wadia were suficiantly sold on the concept that they developed their trademark fabricated cases using solid, heavyweight panals and proprietory solid cast corner pieces. In the top models, circuitry was then further enclosed in separate enclosures, also using solid metal work.

In their day they made some of the best players available and, as a group, sounded pretty different to other hi-end players of that era. At the time I was pretty convinced, partly because you could see why the cost was so high, you could appreciate the 'material' value.

These days, given the relative ease whith which 'bit perfect' digital can be produced, I do tend to wonder.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
abacus said:
Adam already produce a range of speakers for home audio http://www.adam-audio.com/en/home-audio/products

Bill

We know. Unfortunately not distributed in my market. Not sure that these will make it out here either.

drummerman said:
Ugly but with the grille it should be ok.

Alternatively one could cut a hole in the carton packaging and just leave them in there.

Obviously you haven't seen the carton packaging that they come in. It's a close call, but they would be marginally uglier left in the box.

The grill thing is one I wonder about. There were also some Fostex pro monitors where they did a similar wood veneer thing but once again didn't bother with a grill. It's not like it would've been particularly pricey to implement, especially considering the markup they are seeking for the veneer.

The piano black edition seems pointless to me too. As far as I'm concerned it's basically no different to the standard black finish except that it shows up fingerprints. I don't get the attraction of speakers in a glossy black finish, although I understand some people like it.

chebby said:
Chord used to make remote controls for their amps that were suspiciously similar in size and shape to their Chordette cases...

Having said that, I love the Chordette Gem look with a choice of anodised coloured finishes and that magnifying porthole and the glow from within ...

Luckily I have the self control to eschew such blatant appeals to my inner lizard.

May I say I admire your self-control when it comes to all things nice and blingy.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
davedotco said:
I did some work for Wadia some years back and their original 2000 dac really was housed in an enclosure milled from solid, not just the front panal or sections, the whole thing in one piece.

Chord used to make milled from solid remote controls for their amps that were suspiciously similar in size and shape to their Chordette cases...

517049-chord_cpm2600_integrated_amplifier.jpg

Having said that, I love the Chordette Gem look with a choice of anodised coloured finishes and that magnifying porthole and the glow from within ...

Luckily I have the self control to eschew such blatant appeals to my inner lizard.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
chebby said:
davedotco said:

Chord used to make milled from solid remote controls for their amps that were suspiciously similar in size and shape to their Chordette cases...

Like you, I am partial to the 'milled from solid' look and feel but fortunately I have no problem resisting it whan it comes to hi-fi, I have everything hidden away anyway.

Now Mrs DDC's iPhone 5s and my vintage Tag Heuer.......*kiss2*

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Jota180 said:
Got a pair of these coming soon.

Don't need no grills!

I'd be very interested in a mini-review if you're able to once you've got them hooked up. They look like a largely well-thought out flexible package.

I was looking at the specs though; some of the interconnects seem a little short. Ok for desktop use but if you intended to position them on stands in a living room, it means they'd need to be sited fairly close together (if you deduct 2 x the height of a typical stand, say 2 x 600mm). But maybe it's possible to just get some after-market interconnects that would work.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Leeps said:
Jota180 said:
Got a pair of these coming soon.

Don't need no grills!

I'd be very interested in a mini-review if you're able to once you've got them hooked up. They look like a largely well-thought out flexible package.

I was looking at the specs though; some of the interconnects seem a little short. Ok for desktop use but if you intended to position them on stands in a living room, it means they'd need to be sited fairly close together (if you deduct 2 x the height of a typical stand, say 2 x 600mm). But maybe it's possible to just get some after-market interconnects that would work.

All standard connections as far as I can see, network cable is a standard Cat 5 'ethernet' cable and the signal is a regular balanced XLR.

At least you can get up and running with ehat is in the box, then buy whatever lengths you need, computer shop for the network cable, music shop for the audio. Neither expensive.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
ID. said:
abacus said:
Adam already produce a range of speakers for home audio http://www.adam-audio.com/en/home-audio/products

Bill

We know. Unfortunately not distributed in my market. Not sure that these will make it out here either.

drummerman said:
Ugly but with the grille it should be ok.

Alternatively one could cut a hole in the carton packaging and just leave them in there.

Obviously you haven't seen the carton packaging that they come in. It's a close call, but they would be marginally uglier left in the box.

The grill thing is one I wonder about. There were also some Fostex pro monitors where they did a similar wood veneer thing but once again didn't bother with a grill. It's not like it would've been particularly pricey to implement, especially considering the markup they are seeking for the veneer.

The piano black edition seems pointless to me too. As far as I'm concerned it's basically no different to the standard black finish except that it shows up fingerprints. I don't get the attraction of speakers in a glossy black finish, although I understand some people like it.

I loved the look but they are a nightmare to keep clean and show up every dust particle.

My next speakers will look like wood for sure

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts