Active subwoofer not always active

tiffer

Jan 10, 2015
Visit site
Hello all,

This is my first post on this forum and i was hoping someone could shed some light on a problem i'm having. I have recently set up some surround sound speakers with my tv using the following equipment:

Denon ADV700 receiver

Kef HTS 1001 speakers X 5

Q Acoustics Q-AV subwoofer connected with tv coax cable

I am finding that most of the time the sound from the subwoofer is not amplified even though it makes a reassuring amplified hum when I move the cable in and out of the input socket. The other day it suddenly came on really loud as the amp obviously kicked in, but the next day it was back to no volume at all??

Can anybody help??

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
it's probably not a good idea to keep "moving the cable in and out of the input socket" as you may damage either your amp or your sub or even both, all connections should be made with everything turned off.

As suggested above, buy yourself a proper subwoofer cable (ask your dealer if not sure).

This should help correct the problem that you have.

*dance4*

ps. Welcome to the forums.

tiffer

Jan 10, 2015
Visit site
Thank you both. But what is the correct cable for subwoofer signal, i was under the impresssion that the high spec cables are just for reducing hum and audiophile ears but that standard audio interconnects will still carry the signal ok. I don't want to pay out on unneccessary cable just to test whether it it is the sub or receiver that is at fault.

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
will be okay to use, the only reason I called it a subwoofer cable is that they are of a longer length than a standard audio cable and will be a single cable not a twin.

Hope this helps.

*music2*

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
tiffer said:
Thank you both. But what is the correct cable for subwoofer signal, i was under the impresssion that the high spec cables are just for reducing hum and audiophile ears but that standard audio interconnects will still carry the signal ok. I don't want to pay out on unneccessary cable just to test whether it it is the sub or receiver that is at fault.

You probably need to explain what you mean by "tv coax cable" as most people would take that to mean an aerial lead, which doesn't even have the correct connectors on the ends of it (which could explain a lot). You don't need an expensive cable, but you do need one that correctly fits the sockets.

tiffer

Jan 10, 2015
Visit site
I have plugged in with a rca lead and the sound was still very low and a bit fuzzy and then it just went! No sound at all from the speaker, no hum or anything. I will try a different receiver but my fear is that there is a fault with the sub.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Aerial lead makes excellent sub woofer cable - the best would be the type Sky use for their sattelite dishes - CT100 or WF100. It has an overall solid screen which would reduce the chance of hum pickup.

You will need to use the correct connectors to match your equipment - probably phono connectors (also knows as RCA for historic reasons).

tiffer

Jan 10, 2015
Visit site
I used some adaptors with the coaxial cable to enable me to plug into the phono sockets correctly. I only wiggled the connection once when at low volume, could that really damage the components?

I have had my receiver for years and never used the sub connection until now, is it possible that the fault lies there?

I am taking the speaker to test with a friend's receiver to rule out any problem with that part of the set up.

TRENDING THREADS