Accident - Did I damage my amp or speakers ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello everyone,

a couple of days ago I had some friends visiting. My Marantz 5004 + Klipsch RB-81 were playing music for most part of the evening at ambient volume (roughly 8-9 o'clock on the Marantz's volume knob and 75% on the digital source).

During a short period while there was no music playing, my friends' son turned the volume knob of the amplifier at max. When we selected a new track to be played, we heard a few "clicks" and "pops". I immediately turned the amp off out of instinct. Then I saw the volume knob, set it back to the 8-9 o'clock position and stopped the music source. I then took at deep breath, turned the amp back on, and resumed play on the music source. Everything seemed to be OK.

My question is : did something get damaged during those "clicks" and "pops" ? What happened exactly ?

Normally I won't go over 12 o'clock with the volume knob on my Marantz - it's simply MUCH too loud !

Thank you in advance for your advice.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Flying too close to the Sun, I see (sorry, couldn't resist :oops: )

The chances are, if everything sounds OK, it probably is. Make sure there is normal sound coming from the Tweeters and Woofers on both speakers. Also check the volume still works as normal.

Were the clicks and pops coming through the speakers?.....either way, I'm not sure what it was.

A

Anonymous

Hello,

thank you for your reply. Maybe I wasn't 100% clear: this was an accident - I had no idea that my friends' son touched the volume knob.

Yes, the clicks and pops were coming from the speakers.

I did a quick test today: with no sound playing (but everything still turned on) I maxed out all volume knobs. I can't hear any background noise from the right speaker, but the left one does emit a clear "electric" noise. With the volume at normal playing levels there is no background noise.

Of course I checked all 4 drivers and they seem to work OK.

I'm a bit intrigued as of why there was no MUSIC coming out at that point in time, but only those "pops" and "clicks".

Did the amp's output protection get all the beating ? Did the speakers' filters ? Did the drivers themselves ?

Thanks again for your answers.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Yes, I was aware that it was an accident....but just made a reference to your namesake Icarus, who flew too close to the sun and accidently melted the wax in his wings.

A protection circuit may have kicked in, but I don't know for sure......glad everything looks all right.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts