A Tag or a Pioneer ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My lovely lady found out she has a job in a few months (needs to finish Midwifery degree first) and says she wants to buy me a Tag Monaco as a thankyou for getting her through 5 years (2 years pre nursing at college first) financially. I have always loved the watch and while she shops she can usually find me looking at one in the nearest jewellers..

The thing is, I haven't worn a watch for 10 years and I'd really rather have a Pioneer 5090.My 37'' Panny was only an interim measure and after a year is ready to be moved into her lounge.

50'' is the biggest I can have (10 feet from TV) but a 46''er may do.

I only run a PS3 at the mo and have a 606 and M Cubes for sound so is the Pioneer overkill ?

And is it still the best for the money or
would I get nearly the same performance for a little less ? I feel the Pioneer plasma window closing and am beginning to fear I may end up 'What if-ing'

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
We had much the same debate at home as significant birthdays loomed, but decided TV prices will only keep falling and quality improving, so we'd wait until we really really needed a new TV.

I got the Breitling instead...

Mind you, if you haven't worn a watch for ten years, you presumably have no intention of starting to do so, and thus the TV might well get looked at a lot more.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
The new Monaco Calibre 12 is stunning. I've just been doing some work on it. The blue faced version is lovely. And you already have a TV; what's the point in being able to see Jack Duckworth on a 50" when you already have a 37".

I have a 42" actually, but won't change it until it breaks I shouldn't think.

A

Anonymous

Exactly, Andrew. The watch is really a luxury and will be rarely used. The tv will be used and, as both the ladies in my life are as blind as mice and squint at the tv, a bigger one is needed.

Will the prices and quality inevitably fall Mr E ? I meam it's over a year and nothing comes close to the Kuro yet. If no one makes a tv as good I will def be frustrated.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I think they're getting closer, and when normal service is restored on the economic front I think the price pressure will continue.

Yes, if I had to buy a TV now I'd probably go for a Kuro, but some way down the line I think the gap will narrow, if not vanish altogether.

But well done on managing to have a partner willing to splash the cash on a TAG; mine bought me my watch because she said she was ashamed of me wearing the Shenzhen market fake Breitling I'd been wearing for years - a distress purchase as my own watch got smashed on a press trip there years ago.

The fake's still going, by the way...

A

Anonymous

Plus the terminal nature of stock has led to prices going up and up.Best I can see is 2k with a 5 year warranty!!

So do I buy one then ?

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:

But well done on managing to have a partner willing to splash the cash on a TAG; mine bought me my watch because she said she was ashamed of me wearing the Shenzhen market fake Breitling I'd been wearing for years - a distress purchase as my own watch got smashed on a press trip there years ago.

Willing is a strong word. 'Guilt driven' may be more exact.

Andrew Everard:

The fake's still going, by the way...

My mate bought me a fake Tag in China and it was so good a jeweller thought it was real in a shop ...until closer inspection obviously. That's still going as well. Although I had to open a drawer to check...it's been there since the strap broke twice in the first 2 weeks of ownership over 2 years ago.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

We had much the same debate at home as significant birthdays loomed

Gosh, you certain don't look 70!
emotion-5.gif

I've got a Kirium Chrono (a 21st birthday present, and it still looks good 10 years on), and I really like the TAG Carrera, but one thing really annoys me about most modern watches - they've all become maaaaasive. Even the TAGs, which have (by modern standards) a modest size face have a huge profile - 1cm deep almost. And as for the remainder of the sports / luxury brands, they're even worse (Bell&Ross look like they're belt buckes!). If you're getting a watch, I'd opt for a vintage. I have a pre-war Omega that was a wedding gift from my father in law - it's a family heirloom and is a really simple and elegant piece. Take a look for an old Omega or Patek, if you're feeling flush!

A

Anonymous

I am 'big-boned' in the true sense of the word and a watch needs to be big for me. The Tag strap only just fits and others don't even reach round. I have wrists bigger than my fiancees's ankles which, bearing in mind I am twice as big as her, is not surprising.

May possibly explain my aversion to watches to start with.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Ditto on the watch-strap problem, but more of my own making than hereditary.

On reflection, and with regard to all the evidence you've presented, I'd buy a Kuro. But hurry up before they're all gone.

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
I have a suggestion for you , let your lovely lady buy you the Tag Steve McQueen Monaco , she will be really happy that she has showered you with love and affection by giving you this gift. You buy the pioneer plasma then you will feel all manly and that you have made a contribution to your household. I can say to you i have the Tag Steve McQueen Monaco and an older Pioneer Plasma and i can assure you that choosing between the two is not possible i would rather loose two limbs than lose either of them. (I am not joking).

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Andrew Everard:Yes, but if you lost two limbs, you wouldn't need the watch, so the OP's problem would be solved...

Ah but i would lose my right arm and my left leg , so i would have the watch on my left arm and i can hop to watch TV , i would also be counter balanced.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Seeing as you admit to not having worn a watch of any description for 10 years IMHO you have to go with the Kuro.

I have never been too fond of TAGs myself and currently have 3 Omega's with my daily watch being the Seamaster (as worn by 007) automatic naturally not the nasty quartz model
emotion-41.gif

A

Anonymous

I think it all depends what you like most. I'm not a big watch man. My mate is and he has about 8. Dont get me wrong if someone gave me a tag I'd love it but personally I would get more pleasure from a nice new TV.

I've just bought a Kuro and they are fantastic.

A

Anonymous

JamesPianoman:... but then why all the window shopping at jewellers, when you could just as easily be looking at TVs in electrical shops..?

Don't get bothered by sales staff looking in the window.

A

Anonymous

In the end I got.......neither.

A TV it will be, but I find it really hard to justify paying 2000 for a Kuro panel when one with stand and speakers was around 1600 a few months ago. I nearly got 1 from a shop in Brum but was at work all that weekend and they sold the last before I could get there.

So I'll be waiting for a Kuro matcher to appear in the next couple of months or so. Had to slake my thirst for tech buying a 28'' Hanspree to use as a monitor. Sitting in bed on the PC as I type
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

It troubled me too. I'm not 'at the pc'as it's 5 feet away but I agree Mr E that I'm not flexible enough to be 'on' it either. I'm typing anyway and more comfortable than usual.

Any news on the TV front ? You alluded earlier in this thread that the next batch of tvs may be close to the Kuro's standards ?

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
If it was me, I would get both. The only Tag that would tempt me is the new Grand Carrera but the Monaco has always looked good. I have a Tag Kirium Chrono quartz that I have had to have repaired 3 or 4 times now, so I wouldn't buy another Tag. I gave up and gave it to my father and he's had no bother with it. If you're after a good value, good looking watch, have a look at the Stowas or maybe Hamilton Jazzmaster Chrono and then get a Panny plasma!
emotion-5.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts