A new System for My Sonos Soundbridge

emptage

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I am planning to buy a Sonos Soundbridge to enable me to play the music currently held on my computer as well as cd's. I have a very old system consisting of NAD series 3020 amp, Marantz CD 65II CD player and AR speakers. I feel that this system may not do teh music justice and am thinking of purchasing a new amp and speakers. My current thoughts are NAD 326 or Yamaha AS500, KEF Q100 or Q300 speakers. What are the views on this and is there anything aels I should be looking at. These items are the limit of my budget

A

Anonymous

If you're buying new kit, I'd recommend the Monitor Audio RX1's and the Yamaha A-S500. Perhaps audition the Marantz PM6003 aswell.

Sonos is an excellent choice if you're planning to go multi room. However, if you intend to play music in only 1 room, then why not invest in a network music player?

Look at this, for example: http://denon.co.uk/uk/Product/Pages/ProductLanding.aspx?CatId=Systems&SubId=NetworkMusicSystems

emptage

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
The reason I am going for Sonos is that I have heard such good reports of it, how easy it is to set up and operate. I forgot to mention in the original post that I will want to move all the music to a sperate NAS box rather than keep it on my PC

Yes, Sonos is easy to setup & operate. Remember that you'll have to connect it by an ethernet cable to the router. At least one of the Sonos components has to be hardwired to the router. If your ZP90 is away from your router, you may have to invest in a Sonos ZoneBridge.

I would suggest to consider Sonos ONLY if you're planning to extend your music listening to more than 1 room, either now or in the future. If it's definitely going to be restricted to 1 room, then there are cheaper options.

emptage

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
It will only be used to send music to my lounge where my hi fi is. I intend buying a Roberts Sream i83 for the kitchen. This can easily be moved anywhere else if necessary but this is not likely. My plan was to buy a Zoneplayer 90, a Zonebridge 100 and probably a controller 200 I am concerned that my existing 25 year old hi fi system wouldn't make the best of the Sonos system

emptage

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
bigboss said:
Yes, Sonos is easy to setup & operate. Remember that you'll have to connect it by an ethernet cable to the router. At least one of the Sonos components has to be hardwired to the router. If your ZP90 is away from your router, you may have to invest in a Sonos ZoneBridge.

I would suggest to consider Sonos ONLY if you're planning to extend your music listening to more than 1 room, either now or in the future. If it's definitely going to be restricted to 1 room, then there are cheaper options.

What cheaper alternatives are you thinking of ? I still want the ability to play CD's and connect a tuner which is why I wanted to retain some of my original kit

Sorry missed your earlier post. Every major manufacturer has products like this: http://marantz.co.uk/uk/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=NetworkProducts&SubCatId=NetworkCDReceiver&ProductId=MCR603MelodyMedia

This will satisfy your CD player, amplifier, DAB/FM/Internet Radio and wireless media player needs in one box.

Also this: http://nadelectronics.com/products/digital-music/C-446-Digital-Media-Tuner

Don't get me wrong; Sonos is a brilliant product & you won't be disappointed with it's performance. I'm just giving you more options.

Oh, & to offer you another alernative to Sonos, look at this:

http://www.teufelaudio.co.uk/audio-streaming.html?PHPSESSID=9222197ccf4cff6e3280da4e2809bd15

http://www.whathifi.com/search/apachesolr_search/?filters=tid%3A388%20type%3Ahcmproduct%20is_field_star_rating%3A5&solrsort=created%20desc&retain-filters=1

emptage

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for this. I have already discounted the Logitech Squeezebox solution as there are too many reports of it being difficult to set up and keep working. My favourite is the Sonos, the main problem with it being that the controller costs £280. I know there is an Ipod solution but I don't have an Ipod yet, (December I hope ) and when I do it means if I am out my wife can't use the system. Also, is my system, NAD 3020 and very old AR bookshelf speakers, in need of updating to make the most of the Sonos

I sould say that I mostly listen to Folk, Blues and 1970's rock

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
emptage said:
Thanks for this. I have already discounted the Logitech Squeezebox solution as there are too many reports of it being difficult to set up and keep working. My favourite is the Sonos, the main problem with it being that the controller costs £280. I know there is an Ipod solution but I don't have an Ipod yet, (December I hope ) and when I do it means if I am out my wife can't use the system.

There's a PC controller and also and Android controller if either of you have one of those.

Also, is my system, NAD 3020 and very old AR bookshelf speakers, in need of updating to make the most of the Sonos

No more or less than it would be for any other source (ie CD player, etc).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts