A network streamer that fitts my needs?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Crocodile said:
Maybe it's a generational thing? The idea of listening to albums in their entirety seems to be a concept that is lost on the playlist generation who only cherry pick their favourite tracks.

I never realised that - for instance - listening to comedy and dramas (ripped from CD), or listening to classical, or even listening to live albums was 'generational'?

Not only that, but what is the essential difference between a 'playlist generation', a 'CD multichanger generation', a 'compilation tape generation', a 'listening to the radio generation' and a 'Jukebox and record autochanger generation'?

Not much. Seventy years of technology geared to people - of any age - who just want to play a bunch of tracks in no particular order. It's nothing new.

In my opinion gapless playback is as essential as the ability to make compilations (sorry, playlists) or play tracks randomly, regardless of one's age. My desire to sometimes play music tracks randomly has grown alongside my need for gapless playback of classical music/drama/comedy etc. I didn't 'mature' from one state to another with age. I still want to do both.

Inexcusable not to provide gapless playback.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
chebby said:
Seventy years of technology geared to people - of any age - who just want to play a bunch of tracks in no particular order. It's nothing new.
Never suggested it was anything new.

What may be different though is what appears to me to be a growing trend to only listen to playlists & never to an album in it's entirety. Or indeed have any desire to own an album when you can just download your favourite tracks.

Anyway, we're well OT now & really ought to let the OP have his thread back as he's now stated that gapless isn't important to him.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
I'd suggest you clickety (and read some Gramophone reviews) before suggesting this issue is being ignored
Can't see a date on that article but guess it's relatively recent. So if the light has finally been seen then all well & good & apologies if it is no longer being ignored. As for reviews, I don't have the time or inclination to search the entire archive but I have read the following:

http://www.gramophone.co.uk/editorial/marantz-na-7004-network-player-aims-for-the-future-of-music

http://www.gramophone.co.uk/editorial/nad-c-446-majors-on-sound-not-format-flexibility

http://www.gramophone.co.uk/editorial/rotel-rdg-1520-streaming-capability-brings-this-radio-up-to-date

Can't find a single reference to gapless playback in any of them which leads me to think the article promising all reviews will now specify is recent.

Can't easily recall any mention in WHFS&V reviews either. Latest review of the supposedly 5* Pioneer N50 yet again has no mention of gapless playback:

http://www.whathifi.com/review/n-50

A

Anonymous

kungula said:
If you go for Sonos you need a DAC, if you take any Linn you can live without it. I auditioned just last week to the Linn Majik DSM and it offers all you will need for the next 10 years including HDMI.

:)

I know. The Majik DSM is the all-in-one piece. But I'm hoping to find something a bit more economic.. However I have to admit I'm really tempted... :)

A

Anonymous

chebby said:
Crocodile said:
Maybe it's a generational thing? The idea of listening to albums in their entirety seems to be a concept that is lost on the playlist generation who only cherry pick their favourite tracks.

I never realised that - for instance - listening to comedy and dramas (ripped from CD), or listening to classical, or even listening to live albums was 'generational'?

Not only that, but what is the essential difference between a 'playlist generation', a 'CD multichanger generation', a 'compilation tape generation', a 'listening to the radio generation' and a 'Jukebox and record autochanger generation'?

Not much. Seventy years of technology geared to people - of any age - who just want to play a bunch of tracks in no particular order. It's nothing new.

In my opinion gapless playback is as essential as the ability to make compilations (sorry, playlists) or play tracks randomly, regardless of one's age. My desire to sometimes play music tracks randomly has grown alongside my need for gapless playback of classical music/drama/comedy etc. I didn't 'mature' from one state to another with age. I still want to do both.

Inexcusable not to provide gapless playback.

Well said! +1 on that.

The thing with evolving technology is that it should be an upgrade from the previous technology. Everything I could do on a CD-player should be possible on a digital streamer. If not, it's like taking a few steps back instead of evolving with the new technology.

Dommer

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm using a Logitech (Slim devices) Transporter streamer, and it does have every feature you have just listed, minus the Airplay.

I'm steaming all FLAC files from a NAS drive and I can fast forward/seek tracks. It also supports ALAC, although it has to transcode in real time, so fast forward/seek is disabled.

I use the iPeng app for iPhone and iPad and it's very good and easy to control.

It's a shame that you're not in the UK as I've been thinking of giving the Transporer a new home, and going with an all in one solution like the Naim Unitqute. Only because space is an issue.

A

Anonymous

Dommer said:
I'm using a Logitech (Slim devices) Transporter streamer, and it does have every feature you have just listed, minus the Airplay.

I'm steaming all FLAC files from a NAS drive and I can fast forward/seek tracks. It also supports ALAC, although it has to transcode in real time, so fast forward/seek is disabled.

I use the iPeng app for iPhone and iPad and it's very good and easy to control.

It's a shame that you're not in the UK as I've been thinking of giving the Transporer a new home, and going with an all in one solution like the Naim Unitqute. Only because space is an issue.

It sounds great! Especially the part of "giving the Transporer a new home" ;-)

But I dont think it can play 24/192 files. "Decoders: WAV, AIFF, MP3, WMA, FLAC with 24-bit resolution, and 44.1, 48, and 96 kHz sample rates" (http://www.logitech.com/en-us/speakers-audio/wireless-music-systems/transporter-se)

Dommer

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
Sorry Shutterstrom, you are correct, I believe it only plays up to 24/96. I do have one album in 24/192 so will double check tonight.

A

Anonymous

Dommer said:
Sorry Shutterstrom, you are correct, I believe it only plays up to 24/96. I do have one album in 24/192 so will double check tonight.

Thanks! Pls let me know. Is it playable and downsampled or choped up like the CA Stream Magic 6?

amcluesent

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
As I said back in Post #10 about the Transporter :read:

>* Ability to play high bit music (24/192) from a NAS (Linux) via Ethernet cable. Not natively, but 24/192 will be resampled to 24/96 in realtime by the server<

It uses sox

Dommer

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
yes just like Amcluesent said, the Transporter does play 24/192 files, however they do get down sampled. So no, it does not support 24/192 natively.

spockfish

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Shutterstrom said:
Rich27 said:
Shutterstrom said:
I will look into Naim and see what they have to offer.

You cannot fast forward on the Naim streamers although that may or may not be added with a future software update at some point as yet unspecified in the future!

Interesting.. I thought that Naim would do it if anyone..?

Is it just me or is this something so rarely used that the vendors desided not to implement it? It cant be that hard - Logitech and Sonos have that feature and (for instance) what would all Compact Disc users say it that function was removed just like that? I still think it's a bit shocking... But thanks for letting me know!

The reason that a Squeezebox and Sonos can do that it's because they don't use DLNA technology but their own. Basically every high end streamer uses the same DLNA technology; the result being the sMe poor usability.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts