A maturing taste

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Sorry this is probably ageist towards our younger members.

What artists or genres of music have you only started to appreciate as you got older?

For me it’s classical music. As a teenager in the 80s it did nothing for me. I’m not a hard-core fan even now and opera still leaves me cold, but I can listen to and appreciate many of the more well-known pieces, especially tone poems. Favourites include Dukas’ Sorcerer’s Apprentice, Offenbach’s Orpheus in the Underworld and Mussorgsky’s Night on a Bald Mountain. I’m also a fan of Holst’s Planets, particularly the 1960s Decca recording featuring Herbert von Karajan conducting the Vienna Philharmonic. As a youth I would have preferred to have my toenails levered off than sit though any of that.

I think you are fairly typical MF. Lots of my contemporiies took a while to appreciate music composed in the past, whether that's from 1610 or 1910.

My wife was only persuaded to hear an opera this year, for the first time. She would have sympathised with the toenail threat beforehand! In the closing minutes she literally cried at the tenderness of the singing and the scene (a father forgiving his wayward son from his 'cloud' in heaven), and declared it one of the most moving experiences of her life.

I was lucky to be surrounded by musicians in the family from an early age, both 'classical' and 'rock'. Amongst others I have a cousin who appears on Radio 3 and an uncle who toured the USA with David Bowie. When as a boy I first loved 'The Planets', my cousin was already digesting Mahler; when I heard my first Mahler, he was onto Carl Nielsen, etc.

I'm coming quite late to opera too, hoping I get to hear and become familiar with a few more soon. Ditto choral music, having heard Verdi's Requiem live last month for the first time (CBSO/Nelsons). But I also love talent shows (even X Factor) and other music competitions, etc., where new talent is discovered. And I enjoy quite a bit of newer 'pop' like Adele, and stuff that passed me by, like Keb Mo and Hugh Masakela.

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I was a teenager in the late 70's and was very switched off by most of west coast american music eg Crosby Stills and Nash, Neil Young, I totally didn't get Bob Dylan and was not generally disposed to majority of US artists excluding the likes of Television, Ramones , Talking Heads etc.........

However years roll on and got hugely into Neil Young in the late 80's,CSN in the mid 90's ans a few of their solo albums are among my favourites now and about 6 years ago I finally discovered what all the fuss about Dylan was and Blonde on Blonde would certainly be in my top 40 album list.

I decided about 8 years ago to'discover' a lot of music I switched off to as a teen and have found some fabulous albums but also confirmed some of my previous fears eg most of Deep Purple but still looking to find some more lost classics.

A

Anonymous

Think my take on this is that if its well recorded I'll give anything a go. Had a surround set up for ages andlistening to music took a back seat for years as it was not a nice experience. Ditched that in favour of a decent stereo set up and haven't looked back since. Apart fro I have to say some pretty mediocre CD's I had bought over the years which were dreadful recordings, (mainly pop stuff). Ripped evrything to FLAC so entire music collection sits on a NAS behind the telly. Listen to music loads now and bacuse its all on the NAS means I don't have to get off my a*** every 5 minutes to change the CD. Personally I like the great classical recordings from the 70's/80's, particularly Decca stuff with recording engineers like Ken Wilkinson, John Culshaw etc who simply couldn't put a foot wrong. In many ways they put today's offerings to shame.

A

Anonymous

It's only as I've got older that I'll admit if I like something that is considered naff.

I like x factor. I like James Blunt, Genesis etc.

As well as my favourite genres...post-rock, electronica, idm, indie pop.

Hate most opera and jazz. I'd rather have my teeth pulled.

Gusboll

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
I wouldn't say that my taste has matured but it has definitely expanded as per some posts above. I started out as a total rock merchant but I now love indie, jazz, funk and lots more in-between. However, once it crosses into soul then I'm afraid that is not for me. Classical is generally a no-no; I bought the firebird suite because Yes had it at the start of their concerts, but I don't like the whole piece.

Currently listening to: Eric Johnson - Up Close

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Gusboll said:
I bought the firebird suite because Yes had it at the start of their concerts, but I don't like the whole piece.
I know what you mean. Rite of Spring is a much better bet if you are a prog fan. Unusual time signatures, fantastic dynamic range - a really exciting piece.

Andrew17321

Nov 12, 2008
Visit site
I think everyone's taste changes as they get older, often in a way that would amaze (horrify) their younger selves.

When I was a teenager in the 60s I thought that anyone liking opera or choral music was balmy. Traditional jazz was great, and I could accept classical music of the type MajorFubar is now enjoying, and indeed I still have vinyl recording of these pieces bought in my 20s.

In my 30s, I started going regularly to classical concerts, in my 40s going to Operas as well. By my mid 60s I was loving choral music and now totally enthused by chamber music and baroque, both of which were boring to my 50 year old self, and complete anathema to my 30 year old self.

So, for you younger folk, there is a lot to look forward to, though you wouldn't believe it.

Andrew

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
This younger member has had a broadening of taste. I now enjoy the likes of Frank Sinatra (and most of the Rat Pack), as well as Nat King Cole.....but I've still a lot of aging to do, before I'm likely to tolerate Glen Miller.

Irish Country.....Not Going To Happen....EVER!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
nopiano said:
I'm coming quite late to opera too, hoping I get to hear and become familiar with a few more soon. Ditto choral music, having heard Verdi's Requiem live last month for the first time (CBSO/Nelsons). But I also love talent shows (even X Factor) and other music competitions, etc., where new talent is discovered. And I enjoy quite a bit of newer 'pop' like Adele, and stuff that passed me by, like Keb Mo and Hugh Masakela.

If you haven't got any, I would recommend Wynton Marsalis. For a start, try to get hold of this fantastic Grammy award winning album (only heard it on vinyl):
http://wyntonmarsalis.org/discography/title/trumpet-concertos

matthewpiano

I was very lucky to grow up in a musical household. My Mum has been a musician all her life and has a beautiful voice - the first time I heard 'Dido's Lament' by Purcell was when she sang it, and that sound has stuck with me over the years. My Dad doesn't play or sing but appreciates and listens to a vast range of music. Consequently my interest in being a musician myself was encouraged and nurtured and I was exposed to all sorts of music from a very young age. I appreciated classical music, opera and more 'grown-up' rock and folk music very early on and this music has been a consistently large part of my life. I've always been a musical adventurer but I've also opened up to different styles over recent years. At one time I would never have listened to The Smiths, but I now love them. I love some newer bands as well - particularly Blackfield, Pineapple Thief (both of whom I've seen live), and Midlake. I've also got into Tom Waits, John Martyn, Peter Gabriel, and others more heavily and my interest in Jazz (started by a clarinet teacher when I was younger and developed by playing in a swing band at 6th form) has continued to expand and develop.

Working in a music shop I'm exposed to all sorts of stuff on a daily basis now and it certainly keeps me on my toes! There is always something new to discover.

A

Anonymous

My taste in music has definitely shifted, but I'm not sure it's really from maturing taste. In my case, it's also exposure to much more music. The whole pop/dance scene is wasted on me, my interest in music didn't start until friends at university introduced me to less mainstream artists and genres. Likewise with classical music, the "old greats" rarely interest me. But I do have Dvorak, Liszt and Tartini on my shortlist -- all composers that I've never listened to before my 25th, so I really can't say if it's maturity or exposure. Probably both.

One thing I know for sure: having better listening equipment really did change the way I listen to music. It's a lot easier to recognize technical excellence, and I now listen to pieces that would never have captured my attention. Big bands like Woody Herman's or Maynard Ferguson's are much more interesting if you can hear all the layers in the brass lines.

Maybe I'm just not old enough yet :)

CnoEvil said:
If you haven't got any, I would recommend Wynton Marsalis. For a start, try to get hold of this fantastic Grammy award winning album (only heard it on vinyl): http://wyntonmarsalis.org/discography/title/trumpet-concertos

That's very thoughtful, Cno. I have, and think he's brilliant. Heard him live many years ago (at a Prom I think) and also Hakan Hardenberger. Recently bought an Alison Balsom CD too, though generally don't think of trumpet soloists before piano, violin, cello, horn, clarinet, in fact most instruments!

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi,
Hmm interesting thread.
My musical taste seems to have come full circle... in my younger day I was very much into singer songwriters such as Al Stewart, Stephen Bishop, John Denver Simon&Garfunkal and west coast rock like America, Bread and the Eagles. Then in my early 20's I found artists like Luther Vandross, Alexander O'Neal and Maze.
Now I've come back to the original genre, particularly female artists... Kate Walsh, Laura Marling, Ingrid Michaelson, but the one area I never thought I'd get into is folk, but there are some tremendous artists out there now... Cara Dillon, Karan Casey, Karine Polwart, Kate Rusby to name but a few.
There's only a couple of types of music I definitely won't be getting into regardless of age... hip hop and heavy metal!

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm not too old now but my musical taste has changed over the years definitely. well maybe not exactly changed but more precisely expanded.

as far as I'm remember I was into electronic music and I began my descent into underground/ independent very soon as a teenager. so stuff like minimal, click electronica or dark ambient is nothing new or extraordinary to me. but recently I began to admire all sorts of acoustic music. especially in a small format like small jazz ensambles, small bands of instrumentalists and singers, chamber music and so on. I must admit that since I got myself a proper listening gear appeciating unamplified music is easy and also very addictive :). I also gained much respect for grand classical works but for now I can't really fully appreciate it in my home. it doesn't sound as grand as I would like it to. I guess the speakers are a bit too small. need change (hmmm, how about Dynaudio Confidence C2 or maybe Manger Zerobox 107? :? ) ;). however, I'm far from jumping at everything just because it falls into certain category. for instance Pat Meheny - too easy listening to me, Sun Ra Orchastra or Rober Glasper Experience - yeah baby! Johan Strauss - 19th century pop music, Johann Bach - lov'em. never been too keen on rock, especially pop rock though.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Over the past few years my taste has expanded from 70s rock to include musicals, thanks to my son who must have been in at least 25 different amateur shows over the last few years. Have enjoyed watching Priscilla, Legally Blonde and Betty Blue Eyes on the West End this year and We Will Rock You on tour, hopefully soon we will be watching my son in a professional show.
One show I did not enjoy was Phantom Of The Opera.
Currrently listening to the soundtrack from Nine The Musical, I think they definitely cherry picked the best songs for the film.

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
In terms of radio stations, I began as most younger people do by listening to radio 1, now mid-late 20's I prefer radio 2, 6 musis, Classic FM and Planet Rock. When it comes to bands and other musical groups, I've gone from listening to Radiohead, White Stripes and The Black Keys on my minidisc player to a much broader spectrum of different generes from Malian blues to classical and soul or folk. My cd collection is now a mixture of all sorts of music from different times. I'm still not keen on rap or heavy metal though :)

A

Anonymous

I used to listen to Radio 1, now I listen to Radio 2, and its the same people still DJing...Steve Wright in the afternoon for example! Just wish they'd bring back Mr Angry from Purley :rofl:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Dr Lodge said:
I used to listen to Radio 1, now I listen to Radio 2, and its the same people still DJing...Steve Wright in the afternoon for example! Just wish they'd bring back Mr Angry from Purley :rofl:

.....and Ruth, from Belfast! (at least I think it was Ruth)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts