A headphone Amp

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've gone slightly nuts and bought a set of Grado GS1000 phones, (all the way from US - half price !), these will form the majority of my listening though an old classic Sony ES CD player (modified by Audiocom - Oh so musical) - I'm thinking of buying a Creek OBH21SE headphone amp , I've auditioned the amp with my player and I'm hearing my music as never before - my question is - given the quality of the phones do I need to push the boat out a bit further in my choice of amp or even go as far as a full size integrated (Roksan Kandy or the like)?.

Thanks.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi there,

You lucky man - if you've seen the latest (January) issue you'll have seen we just tested the GS1000s, which earned a well-deserved five stars. They're unbelievably good - even for their UK list price, let alone your clever dollar purchase....

What they do deserve, however, is a suitably superior headphone amp, too. The Creek you mention is a great example, but the Grados are capable of even more if you use a high-end design: we found the Graham Slee Solo (@£600) was a great match.

Happy listening!

A

Anonymous

Thank you Clare, My local dealer did not have the Solo however I'll search it out for an audition.

I could not believe my luck when I found a dealer just outside New York that would supply the GS1000's to the UK ,even adding on the import tax I've saved around £400.

Thanks for your advice.

A

Anonymous

I use the Grado RS-1 and the Benchmark DAC1 USB. The sound is absolutely perfect! I used to have the X-Can v3 and with the Grados that was a great combination. I highly recommend the MF X-CANv3. They are releasing the X-CANv8 in 2008 however.

A

Anonymous

Try the Earmax Pro or Silver Edition. Tubes go very well with the GS-1000s.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts