A fake ipod Nano

idc

This is what you get buying an ipod Nano from ipodsnanosonline for £59....

5132688551_a794b08e1a.jpg

5133291614_9d02d47648.jpg

idc

The fake one is being sent back to see if a refund is possible. I'll report back what, if anything happens. The ipodsnanosonline site is very clever with a Verisign and McAfee logo, but neither link to anything, as they should. Amazingly if you search to buy a Nano, it is one of the first sites to come up.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Y'see, if it looks to cheap to be true, especially when it's an Apple product...

But yes, if you go to Hong Kong, places like Chungking Mansions are full of rubbish like this...

Wouldn't hold your breath on that refund...

cliffster

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Tell your mate not to feel too bad idc, I'm certain he's not the only one to have been taken in, my wife has been trying to convince me for a couple of weeks now that the Chinese site she has found on E-bay selling Ugh boots is legit
emotion-42.gif
Yeah right, a Chinese site selling Australian boots for a quarter of the UK list price? As Esther Rantzen would say " If it looks too good to be true, it probably is!"

Teach him not to be so tight! Reminds me of when I asked my old man for a Spectrum for my tenth birthday and he got me the 16k one,
emotion-18.gif
!

Cliff.

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
This is the risk Apple took when they start to put their manufacturing line in China. The people in China basically started to use iPhone 4 even before it was launched in the US. :)

Heck, they even have produced an iPod Touch casing that instantly converts the unit into an iPhone.

If paid by a credit card, you should contact your card provider to take up the matter. They should refund the amount. Also, the police should be informed to shut the site down. And finally, I don't know how, but google should be informed that a fake website is putting up an ad there!

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
'Chungking Mansions'-Andrew you crack me up. Due to a hotel booking accident about 10 years ago, I actually had to stay in a hotel there, the police raided at 1 in the morning. That is how dodgy it is.

idc

The police can't just shut down a website, there is no law giving them such a power. That is a big issue with such problems.

Their card details have been deleted from the site, they were able to log back in and do that. They will watch for any more activity.

Antone got any idea how to inform google? Even then, it will hosted elsewhere surely?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
idc:The police can't just shut down a website, there is no law giving them such a power. That is a big issue with such problems.

An email to Apple might be more effective. (With all the details including links to the photos.)

idc

My mate turned it on to charge, which it did, but he does not remember seeing a Apple logo and then left it all day whilst he was at work. When he got home, nothing, it would do anything. We tried the 5 Rs as recommended by Apple to get an ipod going and whilst doing that I realised, when comparing to my older Nano, it was not right.

Reading up on this, fake ones can work, but as USB sticks that you have to drag and drop on to, no synching and then they play as an old original Creative Zen will play.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
shafesk:'Chungking Mansions'-Andrew you crack me up.

Wasn't meant as a joke - last time I walked around the stalls and shops there with someone who works for a consumer electronics company, they were surprised and dismayed to see on sale copies of products they hadn't even launched yet.

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
On my recent holiday I spent 3 days in New York. There were an awful lot of 'Gift Electronic' shops. You know the sort, windows full of cameras, mp3 players and various gadgets. The mp3 players, although not being adertised as Apple, were pretty much identical to the Shuffle and Nano models. The shop assistants were very non-commital when asked if they were Apple ipods and it was only on closer inspection that I noticed they were branded under the name 'Musique'. A 4GB copy of the Nano was going for about £53. Like I say, not being advertised as Apple, but the the shops will certainly let you believe it is an Apple device you are looking at and buying at a really good price.

All made in China of course.

Rich

idc

The site has disappeared now. Using the same search as yesterday and nothing. Trying to access it direct and nothing. All I find now are complaints about them!

cliffster

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
A friend of mine was recently in New York and he visited one of these shops. They do a pretty good copy of the Apple i-pad as well, but for MORE money ! When he brought this to the attention of the store owners they generousley offered to MATCH Apples price
emotion-40.gif

Only in America! (via China).

Cliff

A

Anonymous

My niece received an ipod nano for Christmas and it looks alarmingly like the 'fake' shown in your photographs. I have an ipod nano that i bought from an official retailer and did my own comparison but this has confirmed my suspicions. Just out of interest, did you connect the ipod to see if it did do anything? I plugged it into a seperate itunes library and it did not come up as an ipod but as a generic USB device. Did you receive any feedback from the refund? I think it is awful. I know the ipod i have here was bought because the new updated ipod nano has been lauched and so couldn't be found in the shops. If anyone knows of any reliable shops or websites that have them, i would appreciate your help. Cheers p.s the website it was purchased from was ipodnanostore.com which i can't find - can anyone else?!

idc

Hi, sorry to hear that there has been another victim to the scam. My friends Nano did not do anything when plugged in, it did not even act as a USB device. There has been no feedback or refund.

A

Anonymous

It just makes my blood boil! Apologies i got the web address wrong it is iponanostore.com which is still there! However the McAffee was last 'tested' 18 july and it is merely a graphic and cannot be accessed. Have a quick look at the site and see how crafty they are! The site looks very like the official Apple site. Most alarmingly, the email address given is a hotmail address - what a shock! My neice is gutted. I see you reported to VeriSign and such, how do i do this. I really don't want anyone else to fall into this trap!

Really do synpathise with anyone who gets duped by bogus companies. It bloody annoys me that these scams have been going for years now and yet there seems to be NO protection for the innocent...
emotion-39.gif
It's so easy to try and grab a bargain, and the convenience of internet buying that makes these vultures survive.

I never buy from websites unless I know them or been recommended.

Well aware my post won't help the victims, but just like to lend some moral support.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts