8k or 4k?

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
all about the money you need at least 100 hz tv 4k hd 8K is a waste of money in my view , unless buying a 75 inch plus tv. (note my 2011 Plasmas are 60 hz many cheap Chinese junk is only 50 hz you need the latest USB slots and 4 HDMI . Do not put the |TV on the wall because you be stuck where to watch the TV best to have the TV at eye level . And 3D Tvs are getting much harder to find as i know most of the major players have stopped making them one of my Plasma is 3D . Still the question is how much ? Do not pay silly prices for 75 inch TVs they be out of date in 2 years . The next generation of TVs will be out in 2023 16 K tv Sony is out already and soon a 32 k next year . So this means the latest 8 k 75 inch will be out of date , by the end of the year. Thats is why would not spend more than £1000 on any tv. . best thing is to wait for the 2023 models to be on sale and look for the 8k deals to come at Christmas

giggsy1977

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
Forget 8K. As for 16K and 32K - I'm not even going to comment. There is no 8K content out there. Even 4K is nowhere near universal (Sky still charge for HD!). As BB says you need to look for a TV with 4K@120hz. If you're gaming a lot LCD will be 'safer' than OLED with regards potential screen burn. All about budget and distance from the screen to determine the best size.

i8nm3gp

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
By the time there's enough 8k material to make an 8k screen worthwhile, screen tech will have moved on. Too early to adopt.
Looks like 3d laser light technology is the future. It would be awesome to interact with 3d generated images moving around in my room though. The same 3d laser light technology they use at the fifa world cup ceremonies.

i8nm3gp

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
Maybe for gaming - I think it'd make films harder to follow. I suspect that's quite a way off in terms of domestic applications, though.
Would be perfect for movies with a 360 degree viewing experience. Only the rooms would have to be built according to standard including furniture placement. Imagine turning around and looking at a 3d generated image of a tiger for eg. Or sitting in a 3d generated image of a stadium and having a conversation with the 3d generated image of a person(online avatar) sitting next to you.

Films involve you following a plotline and dialogue, and seeing things as you are intended to - without that you could be looking behind you whilst something important to understanding of plot plays out in front. It might work for something crash-bang-wallop, but not for most things.

i8nm3gp

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
Films involve you following a plotline and dialogue, and seeing things as you are intended to - without that you could be looking behind you whilst something important to understanding of plot plays out in front. It might work for something crash-bang-wallop, but not for most things.
What good is a movie if you can't have an interactive viewing experience. Dialogue will ofcourse come from inwalls, its better suited for this kind of application. When the filmmakers are shooting a scene you wana be in that scene, all around you, 360 degree viewing experience, and not watch the scene in front of you on a screen in 8k, 4k etc

manicm

It's a chicken and egg situation, and to a large degree it still applies to 4k, though 4k telly prices are now normalised.

You still need fairly hefty broadband to stream 4k, and on the other hand 4k disc players are dwindling (I'll stay far away from Sony ones).

I maintain my opinion that >= 8k will be for marketing departments, and product videographers who need the ultimate resolution for product promotion, not the end user.

And remember, last time I checked Blu-rays still haven't matched DVD sales.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts