8 way exension socket

Miker

Jul 26, 2007
Visit site
I would welcome advice on a suitable 8 way socket to connect my hifi set up below to one socket of a double switch
on a ring main which is a given as I am not into ripping up floor
boards and rewiring. The other switched socket has a table lamp plugged into it. At present I am using a bog standard 4 way socket and a Tacima 6 way, both of which I am planning to move to a replace a jumble of sockets powering my TV and PC equipment.

I did think of buying another Tacima but a previous thread warned of reduced hifi performance.

CD8SE/Psxr and LP12/Rega Fono - Prevs2/Psxr - 2*XPower - Spendor S5eCyrus interconnects and Nordost Super Flat Bi-wire speaker cable

A

Anonymous

Hi

Check out Russ Andrews website mains extensions.

They do the Powerblock, which is a quality 8 way - they may do some others too, but not sure if their others stop at 6 ....

Sonic Dreamer

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Andrew Everard:I've used mains blocks from Sound Fantastic in the past with good results. An eight-way is just under £100

Andrew, "used" implies you may use something different now, if you do what is it and were there any performance related reasons for the strategy shift?

Cheers,
SonicD

Miker

Jul 26, 2007
Visit site
The eight-way Sound Fantastic seems to fit the bill. However, can anyone explain in simple terms where it scores over the Tacima, apart from having two more sockets obviously?

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I use a Russ Andrews 8-way Silencerblock to good effect.

Not cheap mind and don't forget you have to budget for a mains cable with a 16amp IEC.

Miker:

I would welcome advice on a suitable 8 way socket to connect my hifi set up below to one socket of a double switch on a ring main which is a given as I am not into ripping up floor boards and rewiring. The other switched socket has a table lamp plugged into it. At present I am using a bog standard 4 way socket and a Tacima 6 way, both of which I am planning to move to a replace a jumble of sockets powering my TV and PC equipment.

I did think of buying another Tacima but a previous thread warned of reduced hifi performance.

CD8SE/Psxr and LP12/Rega Fono - Prevs2/Psxr - 2*XPower - Spendor S5eCyrus interconnects and Nordost Super Flat Bi-wire speaker cable

Hi Miker

At the moment i am using extension blocks (on some very expensive equipment) in my shop from Wilkinson stores at around £5 each.

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Miker: I did think of buying another Tacima but a previous thread warned of reduced hifi performance.

Some peple will hear a difference in mains distributors, some won't. Some systems will benefit from mains distributors, some won't. The best thing you can do is pop into your local dealer and get a loan of one and see if it gives you what you're expecting. Doesn't hurt to try one out, regardless of it's price.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:
Miker: I did think of buying another Tacima but a previous thread warned of reduced hifi performance.

Some peple will hear a difference in mains distributors, some won't. Some systems will benefit from mains distributors, some won't. The best thing you can do is pop into your local dealer and get a loan of one and see if it gives you what you're expecting. Doesn't hurt to try one out, regardless of it's price.

I found that my Tacima (in both AV and Hifi) robbed my receiver / amp of dynamic scale, almost throttling it. I would definitely recommend supplying the high power components from a separate surge protected supply

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:

David do you have a mains distributor for your equipment??? if you do what has been you impression so far!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Sonic Dreamer:Andrew, "used" implies you may use something different now, if you do what is it and were there any performance related reasons for the strategy shift?

No such implication intended: I meant used in the looked at, played with, sense. And no strategy shift...

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
benharlley:David do you have a mains distributor for your equipment??? if you do what has been you impression so far!

Where my equipment is, I don't really have room to start messing about with larger mains distributors (if I was to, it's be something serious like an Isotek substation or something). I use a couple of cheap mains distributors, but my amplification runs into it's own mains socket. I've played about with a few bits before, but never been bowled over by them. I have tried some mains cables - and they made a difference, just not a difference I preferred.

If it was my money, I'd urge people to get an isolated mains spur for their equipment (if possible) before looking at mains products.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts