5* amp & speakers? - Yamaha A-S500 & Monitor Audio BX2

TobesEtc

Jan 16, 2007
Visit site
Here's the scenario - I'm in the market for a stereo amp and bookshelf speakers for a smallish room. I have a budget of about £500. I had identified (ok, I just picked the 5* award winners!) the Yamaha A-S500 amp and Monitor Audio BX2's as my favoured pairing, and can find several dealers who would sell me that set for £500. First problem - no one has the Yamaha A-S500 in stock at present (at least in Black). Secondly, a couple of dealers suggested that the pairing isn't that good. I'd assumed (call me old cynical!) that this was because they did have a different pairing in stock... but, I could be wrong. Am I? The source will predominantly be a Logitech Duet streaming Apple Lossless through a DACMagic. Is there a better amp/bookshelf combination to be had for about £500? (the speakers will actually stand on a low (18") fitted unit that runs along one wall). Oh, and I may also use a Denon CD/SACD, also through the DACMagic.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
TobesEtc:First problem - no one has the Yamaha A-S500 in stock at present (at least in Black). Secondly, a couple of dealers suggested that the pairing isn't that good. I'd assumed (call me old cynical!) that this was because they did have a different pairing in stock...

Not cynical at all. A lot of shop assistants will say whatever they need to to flog what they have in stock at the time.

Hold out until you can demo what you want against some good alternatives. You are the one who will be living with it for the next few years or more.

You say they don't have it in black. Demo the silver model and order the black if you like it.

tj27

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
As chebby said,

Yamaha & MA are really good together & will make a great combo, just audition & listen to see if you like it
emotion-21.gif

pretty sure you will though
emotion-11.gif

TRENDING THREADS