5.1 Surround Sound system inc Sky HD

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, I'm thinking about getting a 5.1 system on a faily low budget. My requirements are for mainly watching Sky HD movies (and sport), and the odd Blu-ray and DVD. I'm thinking a Jamo speaker package teamed with something like a Sony STR-DH800 or a Denon AVR-1910. I understand the Sony doesn't upscale to 1080p. Does this matter? My Blu-ray player upscales as does my DVD recorder and also my Panasonic G20 TV. So is this something I can cheerfully ignore? Also will the Sky HD box connect to both amps in the same manner in terms of connections? Thanks for any expertise.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Yeah don't worry about upscaling in the amp, it isn't necessary.

For SkyHD you only need a digital optical (or coax) connection, the HDMI doesn't carry 5.1 sound, so if you're ok with two connections to the TV you can just run the HDMI direct to the TV from the Sky box.

A

Anonymous

Thanks, I'm not very clued up with this surround sound malarky. When you say the HDMI doesn't carry surround, does this mean just with the Sky box. Does all my other stuff carry surround by HDMI? I'm sure I've seen somewhere that it's just Sky that functions in this way. So if I've an optical cable connection I WILL get Sky surround?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
DaveGrohl:Thanks, I'm not very clued up with this surround sound malarky. When you say the HDMI doesn't carry surround, does this mean just with the Sky box. Does all my other stuff carry surround by HDMI? I'm sure I've seen somewhere that it's just Sky that functions in this way. So if I've an optical cable connection I WILL get Sky surround?

Yes, to all of the above questions.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts