5.1 or 7.1, and how to run the cables...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys, hope you can help.me.

I am just coming to the end of a house renovation and im just finishing off the living room. I have mounted my cables for the surround sound in the ceiling so the wires cannot be seen.
I have Cambridge audio minx speakers and sub, running through an onkyo tx-sr608. My dad has some mordaunt short ms 3.10 speakers that he is letting me have and im just wondering; is it better to use them as the full left and right channel and go for 7.1 surround, or just stick with what i have got and keep to 5.1?

Also, if i go 7.1 i am in a connundrum as to how to run the cables to the stand mounted mordaunt shorts. i am putting wooden floor down, so i have to either get some flat and thin cable to run under the floor, or some very small cable to run around the room. i am against running it over the floor as it is untidy,and rife to playful cats! Lol.

Any help is much appreciated.

Chris

A

Anonymous

As always, it depends. If you're now using Minxes for front L+R then going with the larger Mordaunt Short will most probably improve stereo sound. But at the expense of your movie experience, because the center speaker will now sound distinctly different from the other front channels. How much the mismatch bothers you depends on your amp, speakers and ears. Having heard neither, I can't say.

Regarding 5.1 or 7.1: if you have the space, 7.1 is the way to go. But in most living arrangements, it simply isn't an option to place speakers 3-5 feet behind the listening position. If you can, just run the wires through the ceiling again. I hope you realize it isn't an either-or question: you can stick with 5.1 and still use the MS speakers as fronts.

A

Anonymous

The minxs are currently mounted in the top corners of the room near the ceiling, the mordaunt shorts are on stands and are to be placed on the floor either side of the tv, and the cable will either need to be run under the wooden floor which is to be put down, or around the edge. i guess if the mordaunt short left and right channel over power the centre i could always get a new centre?

TRENDING THREADS