5.0 with floorstanding fronts instead of 5.1?

OneMoreDave

Jan 3, 2016
Visit site
I recently bought a new TV (Samsung UE48JU7000T) and am now thinking about decent audio. However, I live in a flat, so don't really want a subwoofer; I'm not massively into action movies or very loud volumes, but I would like something that can create decent detail and atmosphere for movies.

Would a 5.0 setup with floorstanding fronts, something like Q Acoustics 3050 / 3090C / 3010, do the job, and would a compact receiver like the Yamaha RX-S601 have what it takes to control them? This route is attractive, as I hope the 3050s could handle music duties when my ageing hi-fi (Musical Fidelity E101 / TDL RTL3) eventually dies (though I might need to look at different amplification options at that stage).

If such setup isn't really going to work well, I have considered the cheap option of a soundbar/soundbase, but the low, wide stand on the Samsung limits my options there (max height for a soundbar to fit within the stand would be <40mm, min width for a soundbase 86cm).

I have also considered just using a pair of Ruark MR1s, with a very small sub to flesh out the bass, if I can find one that would integrate well and not dominate.

jmjones

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Nothing wrong with 5.0 Dave. That's how my system is set up. I don't like things to be too bass heavy, and when I bought my system, the kids slept upstairs and I wanted them to sleep.

In my case, I wanted the best music reproduction I could get from a system that was still capable of surround sound. I originally had a stereo amp and good floorstanders. I tried a 3-channel Yamaha add-on amp for surround. Eventually moved to Tag Mclaren after I'd saved up!

My current system although old, is great for my purposes. Good floorstanders for the music and the rest for surround duties. Additionally, the world of speakers and amplification has not moved on that much in terms of technology. Sources have, and my new-ish blu-ray player acts as decoder for new formats, network player and DAC. It also plays any file format I throw at it (flac, DSD, etc). Some of these functions usually come with the receiver these days.

I recently had a session with a friend of mine where we looked at a Sonos system for surround. Very poor quality and value for money vs. separates. I also thought that if technology moved on, the Sonos systems would be left behind.

if I were you I'd go 5.0. Better flexibility and quality, easier to future proof.

For the specific components you mention, the Yamaha certainly has the wallop to run the show, but I can only give my usual advice. Go listen to them, particularly the speakers. As I remember your TDLs, they may take a bit of beating. Talk to a good dealer.

Hope it works for you, and happy listening.

OneMoreDave

Jan 3, 2016
Visit site
Thanks jmjones, that's very helpful. :)

My instinct is definitely to go for proper separates - soundbars just seem slightly "Mickey Mouse" to me, particularly as I'd be limited to ultra-slim ones. I've read a lot about audio sync problems, ARC not working properly, etc., plus I have doubts about such small drivers handling dialogue. Better to have a dedicated a/v receiver do the audio processing, and proper drive units to voice the results, I think.

Yes, I am quite fond of the TDLs - I used to upgrade at every opportunity, but have stuck with them and the Musical Fidelity for 20 years, so something must be right!

jmjones

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
If you know that's the path you are going to take, I would try buying the amplification, put the TDLs in the stereo position and see what you think. If you did not like the result then buy a full new 5.0 speaker set. If the TDLs appeal, then look for a set of rears and a centre.

People will tell you the latter may be a bad idea, but I had a "mix & match" system for quite a while. It was a Monitor Audio stereo set with Kef surrounds. It sounded pretty good.

I have always taken the trouble to audition speakers comparatively, either by borrowing a set to bring home or hauling mine to a dealer (I once dragged a pair of Kef 104ab's to a dealer. Nearly broke my back), which I think has avoided some expensive mistakes. I recently helped a friend wire up a new set of Linn speakers on to his Cyrus amp. He had never heard the Linns, but his wife wanted something in black. When we cranked them up, it sounded harsh. His Quad 22s reappeared and he is thinking about getting them piano black lacquered. Linns went on eBay.

The moral of the story is obvious, but I was thinking that if you like the TDLs, the 3050s might not be good enough. I think you would have to spend £1k to beat them. They are also a transmission line design with good bass, you definitely would not be missing the sub-woofer. More money available for the rest of the kit too.

Good luck with it.

OneMoreDave

Jan 3, 2016
Visit site
That had occurred to me too, but the hi-fi will need to remain separate from the a/v system for the time being.

I think my next step is probably to audition the Yamaha with the Q Acoustics. That will at least demonstrate if I'm heading in the right direction with a 5.0/2.0 setup, even if I have to up the budget.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Hello OneMoreDave, I don't disagree with anything that jmjones has said. Can I offer an alternative on the 5.0 package front, this system from Eltax, sold by Son Video in France http://www.son-video.com/Rayons/HomeCinema/EnceintesAV/Eltax-Shine.html. You can always add a subwoofer later! I have this package as part of my 8.1 system in the kitchen (supplemented with another pair of the floorstanders and another centre speaker as the single surround back speaker, and an SVS PC12-Plus subwoofer). Oh, I also live in a flat, on the first floor of four floors. Here is a very bad old mobile phone picture of some of these Eltax speakers in my kitchen. You can see the "floor" standers (actually, they're on stands), the front centre speaker, and the left presence speaker.

Image106_2893_kB_21-May-2014_21h12_B70_zps55db0231.jpg

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Whilst floorstanders are more efficient than standmounts speakers, they do require slightly more capable amplification with regards to keeping them under control. I would audition a system using standmounts and one with floorstanders, as they will produce a different perspective of the soundtrack. I currently use five small standmounts speakers, which produce some great detail, and although their bass is nicely balanced with decent presence, they're not the deepest sounding speakers in the world, and really require a sub. Still sound great though, and I'd say it depends what sort of importance you attach to low frequency reproduction. By the sounds of it, I'd guess you may not even need floorstanders - don't forget, that the more bass the speakers will be producing, the more that will be affecting their ability to recreate clean higher and mid frequencies.

Too many people are using speakers that require better amplification than they are currently using though, and have the capability of a much better sounding system than they currently have.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts