48 or 50in TV not 3D or Smart for under £500. Any recommendations?

jonbartlett1979

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
I'm looking to buy a new tv, and i want a 48 or 50in screen. It doesn't need to have 3D or Smart abilities. And it has to be under £500. It will be used for Blu-ray films, watching tv and gaming (via Xbox 360). Any recommendations?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I am looking for a similar TV for our new back room.

I want a 50" - the best bet appears to be the Samsung

either http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/samsung/ue50h5000/sams-ue50h5000

or http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/samsung/ue48h5500/sams-ue48h5500

There are no review for the 5000 but reviews for the 5500 are very strong.

The 5000 is bigger though at 50inch - so thats the one I was going to get.

Let me know how you get on or if anyone has experiecnce of either / better??

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Cheers BB - that seemed the best option for me in the 50"

Its only for the mrs and my boys new backroom but I know he likes the 65" - dont want him to think I dont love him getting him too small a tv ......

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I ended up with an LG 50LB650V - from Currys on their special offer

Its pretty good actually

Its not going to win Reference awards but for the money it works really fast - I mean really fast You tube clips are on in a split second - very impressive.

The remote is ok - not brilliantly responsive but not terrible either - its has ISF settings for calibration which is great - I will see how that does in a few weeks when I can be bothered to do it.

Best thing so far for me - is all settings off and the motion its fantastic - very smooth I was expecting it to be lousy

I was all set to get the Samsung but my parents offered to get me this a joint familt Xmas pressie as we have just spent a lot of money for us renovating and extending downstairs - saved us putting it on the plastic so thanks to them

One thing I will say the salesman in Currys was ann outright crook.

Firstly the expected - "thats a good TV you need a better HDMI cable thats gold plated" - my dad laughed in the guys face and said your talking to the wrong man - i.e. me being an avid enthusiast and know he is talking testies.

Then this bit was the killer - " you do know its an LED TV and in time the picture will go wrong so its best to take out £5 a month cover for it".

I understand people have to sell but to blatantly spout pure lies like that to people is disgusting, you can imagine him tricking older people into taking it out with lines like that - sickens me, it really does. So obviosuly I signed up

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Hello ellisdj,

So you got this LG 50LB650 television from Currys. Not a model that I was familiar with, but the price was right, it's quite a good size and most importantly, the performance out of the box is good and I know that you won't be able to resist calibrating it in due course. Its three reviews on Reevoo are pretty positive also. Just one thing, when you do calibrate it, come back and tell us how it compares to your Panasonic 65VT65, please. Of course, it won't be as good as that monster, but things move on, so it might get fairly close perhaps. So now, you and | both have LG televisions! (I have a LG 60PZ950T calibrated plasma television in the kitchen, which I like muchly.)

JonBarlett1979, if you are still looking, I would have suggested the Samsung UE48H6400 television, which has won a host of awards. Or you could buy the same television as ellisdj!

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Like SOSJ said, http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/samsung/ue48h6400/sams-ue48h6400.... this is a stonker of a TV

Oh and don't let the detractors move you, 3D on a decent TV is fab !

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
They had all the above in Currys and there was nothing between them in the shop - especially with the filth they was playing through them all - all the £500ish tv's

Another sales tool - play rubbish through the cheap tv's and play good stuff through the more expensive ones to try and steer people to buy them thinking the cheap ones are rubbish.

Terrible again IMO and insulting to ones intelligence - these trick surely dont work anymore with the internet being so ripe with information, thats like an old school trick in my mind.

- The LG vewing angles are not great - its up on a custom made cabinet at the minute which is quite high - it needs tilting down otherwise there is bleed at the bottom of the screen so need to get it on the wall.

But my mrs and 2 yr old son dont care about that :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts