2nd system (floor-standing based)

afterworks

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Ok so my main system is pretty much complete.

You can see on my sig what I've got and obviously like. That system is my main one. It's based in my home office/studio and is the ony I will always use most.

However, I do want to setup a 2nd system for my front room. This time floor standing speaker based.

Now, I LOVE my Focus 110's. However the Focus floor standers cost more than I'm budgeting for my 2nd system.

I'm looking at some Dynaudio Excite X32's. Thoughts?

I want to spend around 4k in total. Thats just for speakers and amp. Source will be ATV or PS3. I'll sort a DAC out later.

I already have surround sound so don't look at this as something that needs to 'work later on'. This is just for music.

Thanks

B

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

That is a good budget, would you go secondhand and maybe try a different route.

You can get some great high end kit on ebay, Sugden Masterclass, Naim pre/power set ups , I am sure you are in the right place to get loads of good advice.

If you don't mind trading a bit to find something amazing get to listen to loads of different kit and hopefully find something special.

I am doing a bit of this but much less budget and enjoying listening to different items at home .

I have heard the X32's as they were on a shortlist I had, they are quite lively and good bass, not as sweet sounding as PMC GB1i but they live up to their name quite well they do come up on ebay but with your budget I think you could find better.

Also will depend on which amp you put them with, enjoy your new journey and have fun .

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
If i had that buget, huuum...

Amp

Audiolab 8200A

Creek Evolution2

Roksan K2 or M2

Speakers

KEF R range 500 or 700

Epos Epic 5 best speakers under 1000£ by hi fi choice

Sonus Faber Toy towers

I would make an Audition with this items, and i would cross them...

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Before someone else says it, It would be worth trying to arrange a demo of the AVI floorstanders, which would be wihtin budget and include a DAC.

If you prefer the separates route (or have heard and dont like the AVI way of doing things), then I would be looking at something like an ex demo Cyrus Dac XP, either X power or mono X's depending on what you can find them for second hand, and either PMC Fact or Kef R series floorstanders, whichever ones you could fit in the space and that you liked best.

I know you said you didnt nead the dac, but at that budget I would be going pre power anyway, and thats what I would buy :)

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I have had my share of floorstanders and this day I would not think twice about buying an R500 or R700 depending on the room. They are worth any good amp out there.

Regarding amplifier, I have had my share of fun with HK990 but due to unreliabiity (first one had fan noise, second one burst into smoke second day etc etc) I would look at alternative Class A amplifiers like XTZ. With such a combination I am sure the sound will be at the top of the Value for Money market (IMO)

On a slightly higher budget I would go with Anthony Gallo Reference 3.5. These are one speakers which takes the boxy quality of the R series away (though R series is good it has box coloration and that is where the Reference series shines!) but the AG are not for every one. It takes a good 2 -3 weeks to get into their sound and afterwards there is no going back (if that rocks your boat!)

I also would think Pathos Logos / ethos depending on the price is a very thing to buy.

It looks / feels like I am writing over my future system :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
You have set the bar high with the Electro amp and there are only a few amps that you might be happy with after owning it.

Aside from getting another one, I would look at Lavardin, Pathos, Sugden, Audio Analogue and possibly Musical Fidelity.

For speakers: Dynaudio, Sonus Faber, Proac and Kef R Series.

If you can let us know what brands you have access to, it will be easier to give specific models.....£4k is a healthy budget. The only problem I see is this.....the better the amp and speakers you get, the more it will be crying out for a similar quality source.

Cno

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
This recommendation is just a touch predictable coming from me but I am not going to appologise for it because it will sound great :)

Electrocompaniet ECI 3 integrated amp at £1925

http://www.audiodestination.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_18&products_id=1187

And a pair of Ex dem PMC FB1i signature speakers at £2250

http://www.zinc-ht.com/pmc-fb1i-signature-speakers-ex-display.html

Yes it is £175 over budget but well worth the extra small amount :grin:

The ECI 3 will drive the FB1i's easily due to a combination of their 8 ohm load and 90db efficiency and the powerful 70 watts and 60 amps of current delivery of the ECI 3, I have heard this combination an I can tell you it wonderfully musical and natural and very dynamic .

The only downside is that you might prefer this combo to your main system ;)

afterworks

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Cno, you've kinda hit the nail on the head. Because of my main system I don't really want to loose to much in quality on the 2nd. But at the same time I'm not looking to better it, as after all it is a 2nd system.

Maybe I'm over budgeting. As I've said in previous post's I spend most of my time in my home office/studio where the main system is. But then I'm not really in the business of buying something 'to get me through' I'd rather go in deep first and be happy for a long time.

I also did pretty well with exdemo deals on my main.

Electro your idea of the ECI3 seems solid.

But then, something that occured to me this weekend however is that I only have a 'off the shelf Currys' type surround sound system. I just wonder whether I should future proof and look at that?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
afterworks said:
I also did pretty well with exdemo deals on my main.

Ironically, thats your problem.....get this wrong and all it will do is annoy you, leaving you wishing you had got a cheap solution.

TRENDING THREADS