2iPad or not 2iPad that is the question

DrizztDan

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
So I got my first hands on with the ipad2 yesterday been holding off tablets for this to be launched.

Me and the Mrs only have the one desktop pc and 2 iphones. So when we both want to browse the internet this can be a problem.

After using my firends ipad 1 and having a good 20 mins hands on with the ipad2 yesterday I have decided an ipad tablet will suit our requirements better than a laptop. (lets face it there past it now).

My dilenma is save £100 and get the ipad 1 for £300 or go for the ipad 2 for £399

thoughts?

Paul.

Hmm, not sure. I have iPad1 32gb wifi. On paper it should be a no brainer to stick as the iPad does everything I want, but the new one is sooooo fast and slick I know it will wear me down eventually.

I think when the new apps start leveraging that mammoth gpu you will kick yourself for not spending 25% extra.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
DrizztDan said:
... I have decided an ipad tablet will suit our requirements better than a laptop. (lets face it there past it now).

They're 'past it' in what way? The cheap and massive storage? The CD/DVD drive? The ability to go on the road with it and plug it into a full blown desk system with keyboad, mouse and screen? The ability to do proper work on it that allows me to work from home? (No tablet can do that.) The raw speed and power? The range - and quantity - of inputs and outputs?

Why do Apple still make (successfully) a range of their own laptops if they are past it?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Paul Hobbs said:
I like the word leverage. Its a good word, fun to say. Current favourite words are bombastic, flippant, and when used in correct context, flange.

Didactical and Exogenous are presently mine.... and Chebby's "vicarious" is up there with the best.

Best phrase- "full to the hoozle" (it's Irish - well it would be, wouldn't it?!) :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Paul Hobbs said:
I like the word leverage. Its a good word, fun to say. Current favourite words are bombastic, flippant, and when used in correct context, flange.

I blame Hobbs for this all going "off piste" :p

A

Anonymous

The rumours when it comes to Apple products are usually wrong. They have specific times when they release/announce products and it wouldn't make any sense for them not to stick to this. iPad 3 will probably be available this time next year, like the iPad 1 was this time last year.

Back to the main question, spend the extra and get the iPad 2, lots quicker, slimmer and the best thing about it: it has a flat back so doesn't wobble when on a flat surface. Only a little thing, but a good improvement.

A

Anonymous

I think u should consider a laptop rather than a tablet. Tablets are very underpowered, and limited in their potential use.

If ur at home - why wouldnt u use a laptop - and tablets are not really portable either - dont fit in your pocket.

Tablets are gimmicky. £400+ for a device than can act as a remote control or browse the internet ? (and only partially at that!)

A decent laptop has 10-20x the power of a Tablet/phone.

A

Anonymous

TechMad, I don't disagree with you nor Chebby, but we headed down to-day to look at the new ipads, in the computer floor of the most well-known department store here.

There were racks and racks of laptops, with the odd browser idly jabbing at the keys. Only one counter had people lined up to take their turn, and that was - you guessed it.

Like it or not, the iPad and its clones are the future, and the Laptop the past. People don't care about all the things you mention, they like the interface, ease of use, handy size and the design. A clamshell laptop can't compete. And the iPads generate real excitement.

While waiting a man in his sixties came up to me, excitement burning in his eyes and said "You have to buy one! I'm a musician, and I've just got one with a piano on it. These things are wonderful." He ran off to tell the next person the same.

You don't see that same excitement about a laptop. The iPad is the computer that works for the masses, doesn't need technical support, doesn't even need the users to think, and that's why it is so good.

Did I buy one? Not this time. I used the pro laptop arguments. But I have to tell you, at some point, I will.

Paul.

Thats kind of like the analogy Steve Jobs used to describe the iPad, that laptops and desktops would become more like pickup trucks as opposed to cars, things you use for work, not everyday stuff.

A

Anonymous

Would someone with a tablet tell me what u use it for ?

Not being funny - just curious. Perhaps I'm missing something, as I dont see how one would benefit me, over what I have.

Paul.

Non work computing stuff. Laptop= aperture, photoshop, dreamweaver, invoices. Laptop stays in my bag when I get home often. iPad= emails, web browsing, dicking around on youtube, music streaming, games. Things that I like doing. I also use iPad for work a lot as a portfolio, and when I can be bothered I stream photos from my camera to the iPad for previews. iPads are much more comfortable than big laptops, much more relaxing at the end of the day.

Its much nicer to use than a laptop, especially if you use public transport. It doesn't do anything a laptop can't, its just more convenient, in much the same way laptops are more convenient than desktops, but a compromise in terms of performance has to be paid.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts