2011 Upgrade Plans

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Naxos:

If I can find a secondhand HiCap 2 for the Supernait, I could be tempted. Otherwise, a Neat centre speaker would be nice to match the Elites, but I'm really pleased with the system as it stands, to be honest. Mrs. Naxos refuses to believe this, of course.

However, I'm definitely aiming to get a Denon DM-38 for the office to replace the Pioneer NS-7 (I got some Q Acoustics 2010s for Christmas to upgrade the little Pioneer ones, so I'm halfway there - wonderful little speakers).

I got mine from here.

bretty:

With the Gyrodec being slotted into my system this month, my hi-fi journey is complete. I got lucky in that the system and listening room acoustics gelled perfectly. There's genuinely no flaws to the sound that it throws out and as a result, I seriously don't have any upgradeitis. I'll always keep an eye out for another Super VIII, to bi-amp with, but they're so thin on the ground now that I doubt i'll ever get one.

I've neglected the Home cinema part of my set up for the last year or so. This year, i'll look at replacing my Sony receiver and I'll be getting my first projector.

Hi Bretty,

I don't know if this ad is current it seems to be, but could be ancient. You might like to cheak it out

http://www.adpost.com/uk/audio_video_electronics/1531/

Troy62

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I've only been back into hifi for the last couple of months and upgradeitus has set in already big time :) Bought a Audiolab 8000a just before xmas on fleabay. Bought the Quads yesterday and was already talking to the salesman about my next upgrade which will be the Ortofon Blue cartridge I reckon. Plans for this year will be to upgrade to a Rega P3/24 and perhaps look at a power amp to go with the 8000a. Also got my eye a new 42" Panasonic and Pioneer av amp and blu ray player. If all that falls into place I'll eat my own hat lol but if it does then might look at a sub for the Quads and I haven't even heard them yet lol. It's got me bad lol.

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
igglebert:I crashed my plans in December. I bought some AVI ADM 9.1T and an Apple Airport Express. With a Spotify Premium subscription it's the best move I've made for music. The Quad/Spendor/AVI system is excellent but this packaged solution sounds better and makes so much sense.

Last move is a BD player for CD playback and an AVI sub. Not sure I'll fit the sub in this year.

Thats really interesting IB - you reckon the sound from the AVI ADM 9.1 and Airport express is better?

My upgrades for this year will likely be

1. Upgrade my Cyrus 8XPD to the QX version

2. Possibly buy the CD8SE

3. Possibly buy a PSXR to pair with the CD player

I say possibly for 2 and 3 as it depends on whether the QX upgrade on the amp gives me sound comparable to that of the CD8SE. If so, I'll likely just keep the Arcam to use as a CD transport, digital in to the amp (and save myself over a grand in the process).
emotion-21.gif

As IB mentioned above, I have also bought the Spotify premium subscription, and it really is worth every penny (the iPod app itself is worth the tenner in my opinion). The only thing I would really like from Spotify is a ipod remote control app, in the same shape as the iTunes remote control app. Meaning I dont need to have the TV on (with Mac attached) to play music.

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
JamesOK:
igglebert:I crashed my plans in December. I bought some AVI ADM 9.1T and an Apple Airport Express. With a Spotify Premium subscription it's the best move I've made for music. The Quad/Spendor/AVI system is excellent but this packaged solution sounds better and makes so much sense.

Last move is a BD player for CD playback and an AVI sub. Not sure I'll fit the sub in this year.

Thats really interesting IB - you reckon the sound from the AVI ADM 9.1 and Airport express is better?

My upgrades for this year will likely be

1. Upgrade my Cyrus 8XPD to the QX version

2. Possibly buy the CD8SE

3. Possibly buy a PSXR to pair with the CD player

I say possibly for 2 and 3 as it depends on whether the QX upgrade on the amp gives me sound comparable to that of the CD8SE. If so, I'll likely just keep the Arcam to use as a CD transport, digital in to the amp (and save myself over a grand in the process).
emotion-21.gif

As IB mentioned above, I have also bought the Spotify premium subscription, and it really is worth every penny (the iPod app itself is worth the tenner in my opinion). The only thing I would really like from Spotify is a ipod remote control app, in the same shape as the iTunes remote control app. Meaning I dont need to have the TV on (with Mac attached) to play music.

4. Investigate Sonos and possibly get an S5 or two when I move house!

A

Anonymous

Will listen to Primare i32, Moon i3.3, Cyrus 8 Qpd QX + PSR and Linn Majik this saturday. This in combination with the Majik DS

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Alears:bretty:
With the Gyrodec being slotted into my system this month, my hi-fi journey is complete. I got lucky in that the system and listening room acoustics gelled perfectly. There's genuinely no flaws to the sound that it throws out and as a result, I seriously don't have any upgradeitis. I'll always keep an eye out for another Super VIII, to bi-amp with, but they're so thin on the ground now that I doubt i'll ever get one.

I've neglected the Home cinema part of my set up for the last year or so. This year, i'll look at replacing my Sony receiver and I'll be getting my first projector.

Hi Bretty,

I don't know if this ad is current it seems to be, but could be ancient. You might like to cheak it out

Ooh, good spot, Alears! I don't know if it's current, but I just threw an e-mail to the seller. Fingers crossed!

Naxos

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
True Blue:Naxos:

If I can find a secondhand HiCap 2 for the Supernait, I could be tempted. Otherwise, a Neat centre speaker would be nice to match the Elites, but I'm really pleased with the system as it stands, to be honest. Mrs. Naxos refuses to believe this, of course.

However, I'm definitely aiming to get a Denon DM-38 for the office to replace the Pioneer NS-7 (I got some Q Acoustics 2010s for Christmas to upgrade the little Pioneer ones, so I'm halfway there - wonderful little speakers).

I got mine from here.

Oh that looks great - thanks TruBlue: I'll keep an eye out as the year progresses. I'm assuming you found the addition of the HiCap made a significant difference?

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Just slotted in a Rega DAC yesterday and (don't hit me Bretty) straight out of the box my FLAC files sounds better than my Rotal 991.Next up will be a turntable sometime soon.....I'll see if I can get one before yours is up and running Bretts! Happy New Year!

bretty:Alears:bretty:

Hi Bretty,

Ooh, good spot, Alears! I don't know if it's current, but I just threw an e-mail to the seller. Fingers crossed!

Glad to be of service to a fellow forumee.....Well some of them anyway
emotion-1.gif

Let us know how it turns out. It didn't seem a bad little deal if he still has it!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
I'll be upgrading my roof to one that doesn't have holes in it...
emotion-6.gif

On the off-chance there's any money available (I don't even know if I've got a job after June either) I haven't upgraded the AV amp or front speakers for over ten years, so one of those might get done, either that or I'll add a stereo amp for the music sources and leave the AV amp in place, it has the necessary pre-outs. I'd like to go 7.1 but I don't think the missus will accept any more speakers, unless the KEF T-series appears in white, might be able to get away with a couple of those lurking on a wall...

I might get a DAC but it will probably depend on whether I start to accumulate any 24-bit audio.

I can imagine a universal remote being on the cards as well, the other half already thinks we have enough of those, so another one for the stereo amp will do her nut in.

I'll probably be saying exactly the same things in 12 months time though...

A

Anonymous

No tech purchases for 2011. I will be getting a rug, which I guess is kind of related.

A

Anonymous

chebby:
brittondave:No tech purchases for 2011. I will be getting a rug, which I guess is kind of related.
I'm sure a woolly hat would be cheaper and just as effective.
indeed

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I'll be looking at new speakers this year. I don't know whether to stick with large standmounts like the EB2s & M.A RX2s (the M.As would get the nod from The Wife over the EB2s due to the white finish), or a smallish floorstander in the vein of the B&W CM8 or PMC FB1i.

Will undoubtedly upgrade my speaker cable too. Atlas Hyper 2.0 to the tweeters and Hyper 3.0 to the woofers is probably the most likely.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
mitch65:Just slotted in a Rega DAC yesterday and (don't hit me Bretty) straight out of the box my FLAC files sounds better than my Rotal 991.Next up will be a turntable sometime soon.....I'll see if I can get one before yours is up and running Bretts! Happy New Year!

Blasphemer!

What TT you looking at getting, Mitch?

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
bretty:
mitch65:Just slotted in a Rega DAC yesterday and (don't hit me Bretty) straight out of the box my FLAC files sounds better than my Rotal 991.Next up will be a turntable sometime soon.....I'll see if I can get one before yours is up and running Bretts! Happy New Year!

Blasphemer!
emotion-3.gif
Hopefully do a review of the Rega at a later date.

As far as the deck is concerned I'm looking for a Technics SL-1200 (again) simply cannot go down the expensive deck route again (however much I would like to).

A

Anonymous

Just got a pair of AVI ADM9Ts and an AEX. Next up:

• Partington Broadsides
  • BLOK 300
  • AVI 9 subwoofer
  • 4TB NAS
  • Upgrade the RAM in the MacBook to 4GB
  • Install OS X 'Lion' in the MacBook
  • iPad

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
rotel 1066 power amp(for back and side speakers)

new blu ray player(mabe new 7series sony pending review)

maybe that optoma 3d projector converter, for a bit of fun.(again, reviews pending)

and keep working on my media server pc,new power supply,new case and add another apple tv

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Naxos:True Blue:Naxos:

I got mine from here.

Oh that looks great - thanks TruBlue: I'll keep an eye out as the year progresses. I'm assuming you found the addition of the HiCap made a significant difference?

Oh yes!!

T

the record spot

Maybe a new amp...decisions decisions. The rationale is partly driven by having bought a new TV, though to be fair, I can't - as ever - fault the sound of the Sansui. Tricky!

TRENDING THREADS