2 systems or 1

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a dilema because I've been well served by my old hifi seperates for a long time but its time to start upgrading. I'm trying to get to grips as to whether I should get an AV receiver to deal with handling the usual bits, but also thats capable of driving my old tannoy speakers that I can play my music through. If there is something, then I have the issue of buying a new CD player or a good Blue ray that could deal with the music. I'm no conosseur of music and these days end up listening less and less so really I'm looking to get everything bundled together and not have masses of kit. I've been looking at the Onkyo NR609 to start the ball rolling.

Any thoughts ?

Messiah

I would seriously consider how important the hi-fi aspect is. Generally an AV receiver is no match for a tradirional stereo amp and going down this route may leave you disappointed.

I would recommend taking your speakers to a local dealer and give some equipment an audition and judge for yourseld if you would be happy with the sound.

I used to have a full surround set-up but it never quite hit the spot for stereo and so it has all gone.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
What is your current kit? What is your budget? Room size / layout? And most importantly, what proportion of music / movies do you currently listen to / watch and what proportion do you think it will be in future? You don't actually mention wanting a surround set up. You could consider integrating movies & TV with your stereo. Perhaps a universal player such as the Oppo 93 as a source.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I went for two seperate systems as music is of higher priority to me than movies, but I still wanted a quality A/V experience.

Good thing is I can update my Hi-Fi without affecting the sound/balance of the A/V system. Down side is a lounge with 10 speakers in it.

Would I do it again? Sure.

Timbot

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I've got a fairly entry level AV system at present and also use it to play music through. I find the music a bit muddy and pretty un enjoyable through the AV system. I'd ideally like to get a hi-fi when funds allow. I used to have a 40 odd year old JVC amp which I really enjoyed the sound of. Sadly it stopped working but it was FAR better than my 2 year old AV amp for music. I'm pretty into my music though so it may not be such an issue for you!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts