2.1 Home Cinema Advice Please

bf1

Mar 15, 2008
Visit site
Ive looked at a number of out of the box systems but, for various reasons, they have not been suitable for my (read wife's) specific needs!

Im now looking to piece a system together. Of most importance is the speaker size. With that in mind I have narrowed down to the Tannoy HTS200`s or Morduant Short Alumni 2

The depth of the speaker is most important, due to the location to be sited, and should be as minimal as possible.

I am considering the Morduant Short Alumni 9 Subwoofer.

For the front end I would like the Nad Viso Two.

Is there any reason why this combination wouldn`t perform well or is there any alternatives to the above to consider?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Hi bf1,

If the depth of the speakers is important then have a look at Monitor Audio's Radius HD range - ideal if you (or the wife) want discrete on the wall fitting. The Radius 225 HD's are about 4" deep, sound great and are very plasma freindly. As for a sub then there are many 'small' but good units out there - it is the siting of the sub which sometimes causes problems and affects intergration with other speakers.

http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/products/radius-hd/r225-hd/your-speaker

On the subject of number of speakers - you say 2.1 but to get any sort of descent sound stage then Left, Centre and Right are a must and obviously 2 at the rear for effects. Pseudo surround modes just don't cut it for me but it's all down to yourself in the end.

Hope this is of use -

A

Anonymous

How deep can the loudspeakers be?

If they'll fit, the "Neutron 2.1" system sounded good, as the amplifiers are all built-in to the subwoofer, so no separate boxes required.

bf1

Mar 15, 2008
Visit site
Hi - thanks for your reply.

I can`t have on the wall fitting as the location of the TV in relation to seating doesn`t permit.
Plus, Im not keen on dangling wires or having to channel out walls.

Appreciate your opinion on 2.1 as opposed to 5.1 but I just don`t have the room setup to fit a 5.1 system.

I thought the Sub could be fitted anywhere? Didn`t realise that its placing could have an adverse affect on sound?

Any recommendations on Subs other then that mentioned?

Cheers

soulton:
Hi bf1,

If the depth of the speakers is important then have a look at Monitor Audio's Radius HD range - ideal if you (or the wife) want discrete on the wall fitting. The Radius 225 HD's are about 4" deep, sound great and are very plasma freindly. As for a sub then there are many 'small' but good units out there - it is the siting of the sub which sometimes causes problems and affects intergration with other speakers.

http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/products/radius-hd/r225-hd/your-speaker

On the subject of number of speakers - you say 2.1 but to get any sort of descent sound stage then Left, Centre and Right are a must and obviously 2 at the rear for effects. Pseudo surround modes just don't cut it for me but it's all down to yourself in the end.

Hope this is of use -

bf1

Mar 15, 2008
Visit site
Cheers, had a look at the Neutron but these will be too deep.

About 4-5" in depth is going to be the maximum.

Eddie Pound:
How deep can the loudspeakers be?

If they'll fit, the "Neutron 2.1" system sounded good, as the amplifiers are all built-in to the subwoofer, so no separate boxes required.

A

Anonymous

Hi bf1,

You will find lots of 'posts' on here reference sub placement and it can make or break a sound system. I have tried different places in my room (15'x15') and now have a REL R205 in one of the front corners and a REL Quake which is nearly centre of the back wall - it works for me.

As for subs - I favour REL, it may be worth looking at their 'T' series which are decent and not too expensive, all depends again on your pocket.

If you need your front left and right speakers placed quite close to a wall then bear in mind that you need forward firers and not rear ported as they will just boom. By the sound of things you have accepted that you will need a sub, as unless you go for full size speakers the bass will be lacking. Read some of the What HiFi reviews on set ups like the MA Radius HD 90, Mission M-Cubes etc. I know you will only be buying 2 speakers and a sub but quality of drivers will be the same whether used in a 2.1 set up or 5.1 set up.

Ultimately what ever you decide on will sound better that your TV speakers, but, be warned this site carries with it a virus type contaminent know as 'upgradeitus' - be warned it will strike and then strike again and again ..........

Hope you get sorted and keep the little lady happy! (ouch ! mine just saw me type that)

bf1

Mar 15, 2008
Visit site
Hi Soulton,

Thanks for your reply and advice.

Lots of info to digest and a bit more research required on my part. Cheers for the help.

TRENDING THREADS