108mph Plasma TV (One for fellow mathematicians and physicists).

proffski

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
When I point my 'Pocket Radar Speed Gun' http://www.krunker.com/2009/12/29/pocket-radar-the-portable-speed-gun/ at my Panasonic Plasma TV it shows that the TV is doing 54mph in standard definition and either 54 or 108mph when displaying an image in HD mode. I suspect that that the unit is seeing the TV plasma being established at some high frequency. This frequency will pass straight through the gun electronics and appear as a doppler sideband related to the speed that I am observing. It should be possible to work out the high voltage power supply frequency of my TV knowing the frequency of the pocket radar which is 24.125 GHz. Any ideas anybody? [*-)]

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
proffski:When I point my 'Pocket Radar Speed Gun' http://www.krunker.com/2009/12/29/pocket-radar-the-portable-speed-gun/ at my Panasonic Plasma TV

Like you do...

emotion-2.gif
Good form today Andrew, made me laugh, first one this morning.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
proffski:

When I point my 'Pocket Radar Speed Gun' http://www.krunker.com/2009/12/29/pocket-radar-the-portable-speed-gun/ at my Panasonic Plasma TV it shows that the TV is doing 54mph in standard definition and either 54 or 108mph when displaying an image in HD mode. I suspect that that the unit is seeing the TV plasma being established at some high frequency. This frequency will pass straight through the gun electronics and appear as a doppler sideband related to the speed that I am observing. It should be possible to work out the high voltage power supply frequency of my TV knowing the frequency of the pocket radar which is 24.125 GHz. Any ideas anybody?
emotion-42.gif

You are Nick Freeman, the lawyer who gets celebrities of speeding charges with ridiculous defences and I claim my £5. I can see the new market in plasma installations for limos developing as I type.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
See, all you'd have to do is drive around with a 46in Panasonic on the front passenger seat, and you could do up to 108mph anywhere you wanted with total impunity.

Look forward to seeing you on Police Plasma Action sometime soon...

large_size_Police_InterceptorsB-640x360.jpg

proffski

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Ok, I give up, it is a fair cop... just one reason as to why limousines driving footballers use LCD TV in the back rather than Plasma!
emotion-1.gif

John Duncan

proffski:
When I point my 'Pocket Radar Speed Gun' http://www.krunker.com/2009/12/29/pocket-radar-the-portable-speed-gun/ at my Panasonic Plasma TV it shows that the TV is doing 54mph in standard definition and either 54 or 108mph when displaying an image in HD mode. I suspect that that the unit is seeing the TV plasma being established at some high frequency. This frequency will pass straight through the gun electronics and appear as a doppler sideband related to the speed that I am observing. It should be possible to work out the high voltage power supply frequency of my TV knowing the frequency of the pocket radar which is 24.125 GHz. Any ideas anybody?
emotion-42.gif

I'm a mathematician, and I can confidently state that your television is actually standing still.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:I'm a mathematician, and I can confidently state that your television is actually standing still.

Or moving at about 800mph*, depending on how you look at it.

(*But then so is everything else)

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

JohnDuncan:I'm a mathematician, and I can confidently state that your television is actually standing still.

Well if you are going to include rotation, we might as well throw in 66000 mph as the earth orbits the sun.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
hammill:Well if you are going to include rotation, we might as well throw in 66000 mph as the earth orbits the sun.

Ah yes, but one is actual speed, and the other purely spin. That being said, 98mph in Bushy Park is pretty impressive, JD...

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
hammill:Andrew Everard:

Well if you are going to include rotation, we might as well throw in 66000 mph as the earth orbits the sun.

...and don't forget the rotational speed of our solar system around the galactic centre!
emotion-3.gif

scene

I am (or was!) a physicist - everything is moving at the speed of light in space-time, just some objects move at the speed of light in time (hadrons - us), some stand still in time and move at the speed of light in space (like photons)...

But try explaining this to a judge when you've been clocked doing 60MPH in a 30MPH zone
emotion-5.gif

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Diamond Joe:hammill:Andrew Everard:

...and don't forget the rotational speed of our solar system around the galactic centre!
emotion-3.gif

I hadn't. Nor how fast we are moving away from the centre of the universe due to the big bang.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
"Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour,
That's orbiting at nineteen miles a second, so it's reckoned,
A sun that is the source of all our power.

The sun and you and me and all the stars that we can see
Are moving at a million miles a day
In an outer spiral arm, at forty thousand miles an hour,
Of the galaxy we call the Milky Way."

On which subject, it seems that, just as all those old ads used to tell us, Milky Way really is full of bubbles

scene

Andrew Everard:
"Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour,
That's orbiting at nineteen miles a second, so it's reckoned,
A sun that is the source of all our power.

The sun and you and me and all the stars that we can see
Are moving at a million miles a day
In an outer spiral arm, at forty thousand miles an hour,
Of the galaxy we call the Milky Way."

And as we have now reached the Monty Python stage, shall we draw the curtain on this? (Humming the tune as I type)

TRENDING THREADS