£10 free iTunes /App store credit

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Clinton Cards is running a promotion - apparantly until 29th August - that gives you 2x£15 iTunes gift cards for £20.

The offer is running in-store and online (though they've taken the offer down from their website right now - too much demand, methinks...)

Ideal if you've got a pricey downloads/iPhone App Store habit!

Dazmb

Aug 26, 2007
Visit site
And if you have any kind of Apple fixation it will be pricey Clare ;)

Apple Itunes: Higher price for less bit rate than competitors - and still people buy from them........

A

Anonymous

Dazmb:Higher price for less bit rate than competitors - and still people buy from them........

That's actually not true. Yes, other download services offer 320kbps constant bitrate MP3s, but Apple's AAC bitrate has the ability to go to 400+kbps for more complicated parts of music, due to it being varial bitrate. It's a much more modern codec, and is also more efficient as lower bitrates are used for less complicated parts of the music. Apple simply state their bitrate is 256kbps so that it's easy to understand, rather than saying 250-400+kbps VBR etc etc.

So all in all, apart from lossless download sites, iTunes is actually the highest quality download store out there.

Dazmb

Aug 26, 2007
Visit site
Suasexed:
Dazmb:Higher price for less bit rate than competitors - and still people buy from them........

That's actually not true. Yes, other download services offer 320kbps constant bitrate MP3s, but Apple's AAC bitrate has the ability to go to 400+kbps for more complicated parts of music, due to it being varial bitrate. It's a much more modern codec, and is also more efficient as lower bitrates are used for less complicated parts of the music. Apple simply state their bitrate is 256kbps so that it's easy to understand, rather than saying 250-400+kbps VBR etc etc.

So all in all, apart from lossless download sites, iTunes is actually the highest quality download store out there.

I'd heard that they'd upped their .mp4 bitrates from what was a paltry 128kb a year or so back. This was done begrudgingly I'd guess, and only because Apple know that competitors like Amazon have finally sorted themselves out and have Itunes in their sights. As they are getting more popular (due to people being fed-up with Apple's 'rip-off the customer' culture as seen in every single product/service they sell), it has forced Apple to make a change. Otherwise I honestly don't think it would have been done voluntarily by Mr Jobs. Look how long it took them to ditch DRM...

And fair play to him, I mean why should he when he has an army of drooling Apple fanboi's just willing to camp outside his shops for days to part with their hard-earned on the latest Apple 'shiney shiney' bling gizmo that costs a lot more than any competitor but with half it's functionality! I admire Apple's business philosophy - just not their products.

And I do take your point about AAC quality, and that's a good thing. Shame they can't do that with standard MP3 format downloads ;) I can get whole albums for £5 at 7 digital @ 320kbps mp3.

* Forgive my rant - You will gather from it's tone that i'm not a big fan of Apple's! We call Apple owners at work 'The pod people'. And pity them their obsession/disease with having to hand over so much of their cash to Steve Jobs and his motley crew. But, it is an illness, and hey they can't help it. Scientists are working on a cure as we speak to rid them of this blight. One day they will open their eyes, and they will see the fact that other (often better) products are available!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts