Zone 2 pre outs?

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Hi

I have a feeling my Yamaha AV amp is on its last legs. I use the front L&T pre outs into my hi fi amp to power the front speakers.

The replacement amps I've looked at only seem to have a 'Zone 2 L & R pre out' - have things just been renamed? Can I use this in the setup I need by turning zone 2 on and not connecting front speakers to the terminals?

Thanks

mmg

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
roger06 said:
Hi

I have a feeling my Yamaha AV amp is on its last legs. I use the front L&T pre outs into my hi fi amp to power the front speakers.

The replacement amps I've looked at only seem to have a 'Zone 2 L & R pre out' - have things just been renamed? Can I use this in the setup I need by turning zone 2 on and not connecting front speakers to the terminals?

Thanks

You can, but it won't work as you expect: Zone 2 has its own volume control and source selection, indepentent from the main zone. So each time you adjust the volume or change the source, you will have to do it twice (for each zone). Another problem is that you won't have real surround anymore.

I would really not recommend it. Best is to get a receiver with real pre outs.

mmg

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Denon has pre-outs on the X3000 and better models, Pioneer has them on the new VSX-924 and on the old VSX-1123 and better models.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts