I'm currently running the following:

Turntable: Michell Tecnodec with Rega RB300 and Pickering XV-15

CD Player: Arcam Alpha 7SE

Pre-amp: Exposure 2010 Integrated

Power Amp: Exposure 2010

Speaker Cable: Van den Hul Skytrack

Speakers: B&W 603 S2's

Interconnects: various Cambridge Audio and Pacific silver

The problem I have is I'm basically unhappy with the sound! It's bass light at low volume and too aggressive and bright anything above quarter volume for my taste.

I'm considering changing the CD player as the tray is getting quite loose and rattly. What's clear and articulated up to £500?

I would also like to get shot of the amps - I used to love the sound of Audiolabs stuff but times have changed and I'm sure there's better stuff on the market now . . . I would like to stay with the pre and power amp set-up but bearing in mind budget of about £800 could be persuaded for an excellent (and bassy!) integrated amp.

I think I also need to consider looking at the speakers as they're a bit big for the room I have now (love them to bit's though!).

Over and top of that I have to look at getting some headphones, and may need a seperate phono amp depending on what winning recommendation comes with!

I could spend up to £1500 on that lot, don't mind going second-hand where necessary.

Many thanks for your help and I'm looking forward to your suggestions!

Toby

A

Anonymous

Change the speakers first, that's always the most drastic impact on sound. You may find your amp is just fine with the appropriate speakers for you, I love exposure gear, I'd leave it personally.

Spend $$$ on the speakers (after some proper in-home auditions) and then the rest on the CD player. I wouldn't recommend a cd player without knowing how you like your sound.

T

the record spot

The B&W's aren't the weak link when it comes to bass I don't think? WHF and others have made this comment frequently and a friend also had a pair which were big on bass thump. Likewise, the Exposure isn't exactly light either. I'd be inclined to change the CD source and the cartridge.

I hear the Cyrus range is tonally lean, so perhaps the Exposure 2010s - which may be a bit too rocky if you like warm and welcoming, but it's got a good bottom end. Secondhand? Linn Genki might be worth a lsiten - should be around £400.

Cartridge: Goldring 1042-GX (about £160) would be a good one to look at - but I think your TDec would handle a better cartridge. Denon DL103R (around £270 I think) might have the bottom end and warmth.

Careful you don't end up with too much bottom end though; that might bring its' own share of problems.

A

Anonymous

Afaik the 600 S2 range of B&W are supeb (got a pair of 601's heading my way this week!).

Id prob look at the cd player myself.

As for cost Ebay is a awesome way of picking up bargains, most audiophiles tend to be genuine people too ive got some cracking deals off there!

A

Anonymous

Some good ideas there, thank you! Any thoughts on a short list of 'must listen's' for a new cd player? I'd be looking for somethng neutral and with clarity.

Ta!

T

the record spot

New options:-

Marantz SA7001 KI Signature (£600) - Cambridge Audio 840C (£750) - Eastern Electric Minimax (£900) - Naim Nait 5i (£750). Thaiman and others will do the higher end stuff!

The Marantz is SACD compatible, the Cambridge is an absolute must listen, the Eastern Electric has valves and has a good write up though might be difficult to find and the Naim speaks for itself going by this month's review!

Don't write off a good used £1000 player. Check out the BADA Marketplace (website) where dealers sell used gear. Some (like Billy Vee in Lewisham) offer a 12 month warranty on used items too, so you can pick up some stunning goods there too.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I would change the cd player. Dare I say get yourself a Exposure 2010 cd player and try to stop your toe from tapping....it could be harder than you think
emotion-2.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts