YOUR LAST GREAT ALBUM

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've been listening to Seldom Seen Kid by Elbow for the last week which has made me think less negatively that the quality of contemporary albums are garbage. What’s the last great album you've bought?

A

Anonymous

Just bought NOW 65, dont usually buy compilations but this one seems to have all the current stuff on it and theres some great tracks

A

Anonymous

Spiritualized - Songs in A+E (not sure i prefer it to Pure Phase or Ladies and Gentleman We're FLoating in Space though)

A

Anonymous

No you're not alowed compilations on my list depite how good it is, LOL ha ha!

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
I maybe wouldn't call it great, but I was pleasantly surprised by how good the Duffy album was. I suppose with the people involved, it should be good, but it far exceeded my expectations.

Last great album I bought was INXS, Switch. Arguments about current front man trying to impersonate former front man notwithstanding. But then I'm a big fan of Farriss penned material, so rather biased.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="bigblue235"]but I wasÿpleasantly surprisedÿby how good the Duffy album was[/quote]

When does pastiche stop being pastiche?I've tried to enjoy the Duffy album but ultimately find it a shallow listening experience. I know it's all down to the "definitive strife knot" of personal taste but I'd much rather hear Aretha and Dusty and Cilla and latterly Amy W. than Duffy's slight souffle of an album. That said, I was having a similar mini-rant with a friend last week, en route to see Bruce Springsteen in sunny Manchester, in relation to Fleet Foxes, Bon Iver and even my personal olympians, My Morning Jacket and he pointed out that post-35 years of age, all "new" music seems to over reference older stuff. So yes, MMJ have listened to a stack of Neil Young/John Prine/Lynard Skynard albums and some Prince ones too, it's just that for me they add enough of their own thing to make it interesting, And Duffy sounds like less than the sum of her influences. Great recent albums:1) Evil Urges - My Morning Jacket2)Tragic Songs Of Life - Louvin Brothers**new to me, though released in 1956(?) or thereabouts.

A

Anonymous

Got to be the new Silver Jews album. Out next week but have had an advance copy for a while. Americana with a Johnny Cash soundalike singer. Just shades the new Spiritualized album

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="ianmcg"]Got to be the new Silver Jews album[/quote]

Looking forward to this one.

[quote user="ianmcg"]Just shades the new Spiritualized album[/quote]

Could never "get" this group. I worked at the Roadmender venue in Northampton many years ago and saw Spacemen 3, and felt the same way. Although, all around me people were palpably "getting" it. Big style, as it were. Maybe it's my sheltered caffiene-dependent lifestyle that finds me wanting when it comes to this ICI-music.

A

Anonymous

Cash - live at Folsom Prison

simply superb... i may be a little behind the times here.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
Consolers of the Lonely - The Raconteurs. A good effort and reminiscent of The Who in places when they take their gloves off. Sometimes though, Mr White gets so over-excited, his guitar sounds as high-pitched as his voice. Calm down dear, it's only an album.

A

Anonymous

Schubert's String Quartet No 14, 'Death and the Maiden' played by the Jerusalem Quartet, one of the greatest pieces of chamber music ever written.

T

the record spot

Too many good ones to choose from really, but of late, I've been very impressed with Beth Rowley's debut. Heard the single on early morning radio months ago ("Oh My Life") and the release doesn't disappoint. Super voice and hopefully she'll have a good long career in front of her.

A

Anonymous

Hot Chip - Made In The Dark

I wouldnt say 'great', but decent follow up to the great 'The Warning'.

a91gti

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
Anthrax_Among The Living, a blast from my past and as good as I remembered even if the quality leaves a bit to be desired!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="MENISCUS"]Nicola Benedetti - The Lark Ascending............
[/quote]

Lovely, and a superb recording. But the rest is average though........

Can I do 3 as they are distinctly different:

Sun Kil Moon - April;

Counting Crows - Saturday Night and Sunday Morning; and

Redshift - Last.

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Charlie Jefferson"] When does pastiche stop being pastiche? [/quote]

It doesn't, not in this case anyway, but that doesn't stop me enjoying it for what it is, rather than what it's not as good as.

There's obviously far better albums of it's type, but as the thread is about "your last great album", not best albums of a particular type, I gave it a mention
emotion-1.gif

I'm not a fan of Aretha, Dusty and Cilla, and though I have all of Ms. Winehouse's collection, I can no longer put them in the CD player due to my intense dislike for the woman herself! So Duffy gets a bit of play in this household!

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
As I`ve only played it three times so far its a little early to call it a great album though I would say the best album I`ve bought so far this year of new material is -

`Glass Shadows` - by Mostly Autumn

A

Anonymous

[quote user="survivor"]
As I`ve only played it three times so far its a little early to call it a great album though I would say the best album I`ve bought so far this year of new material is -

[/quote]

Fish won't like it..................

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Graham_Thomas"][quote user="survivor"]

[/quote] Fish won't like it..................[/quote]

You`re right there Graham!

Still, don`t care if he does or doesn`t. It was probably meant light heartedly but when I met him after a Mostly Autumn gig awhile back he gave me a real hard time about only listening to his old stuff and not buying his new albums! I told him I couldn`t keep up with everything especially with my varied taste. What didn`t help was the amount of drink being consumed and his strong accent which I found difficult to follow. Just thought I`d tell you that!

A

Anonymous

If i can sneak in two it would be:
Comicopera by Robert Wyatt (what a man)
Coles corner by richard Hawley

A

Anonymous

Well, at the moment 'Who's Next' by the The Who is what I am digging the most.

Also anything by Opeth, although my favourites are 'Deliverance' & 'Damnation' the new album is out soon, can't wait. If you like sort of 70's sounding acoustic folk mixed with black-metal, it is a must.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts