your first cd player and discs

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
hi i have been into cd since its launch and bought a sony cdp 101 it cost £550 way back in march 19-83, i
also bought dire straits love over gold ,and phil collins face value, and rickie lee jones cd they cost £12.49
at the time very expensive, so when did you get your first cd player and the first discs you bought
to play also the names and if you still have anything left ..

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
First cd player was a JVC bought in 1990ish? Can`t remember exactly when. Cost £220. I still have the catalogue from that time and if I can find it I shall post the model number.

First cd`s were bought in Woolworths in Queensbury and they were Abba`s Greatest Hits vol2. and The Eagles Greatest Hits 1971-75. Cost £5 each in the sale. When I played `Desperado` on my headphones I realised how far cd`s still had to go. The hiss almost drowns out the piano intro.

I still have both the player (in the loft) and the cd`s.

A

Anonymous

I had a Mission DAD 5 CDP. I had a stack of CDs including War of the Worlds, Huey Lewis and the News (fab!) & Belinda Carlisle! Many, many hours spent enjoying that CDP, enhanced later on by a QED Qunex 2, my first foray into cables.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Bought a Philips CD650 (WHF 5*) cost me £400 in 1986. It was the first of the 16 bit 4 times oversamplimg machines and it was still going strong until I bought my Arcam off E-Bay in December. Would not like to guess how many times the trays been in and out and it plays everything, even reads stuff the Arcam cannot.
CDs to go with it were Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms and Sting "Dream of the Blue Turtles" which I still play today .

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
dvdaudio:hi i have been into cd since its launch and bought a sony cdp 101 it cost £550 way back in march 19-83, i
also bought dire straits love over gold ,and phil collins face value, and rickie lee jones cd they cost £12.49
at the time very expensive, so when did you get your first cd player and the first discs you bought
to play also the names and if you still have anything left ..

Got a JVC XL-V450 in 1985/6 mainly using Diners Club points.It is has never stopped working and is currently in the kids room playing mp3 and wma tracks without problem.God knows what cds were bought,Eurythmics and Jackson spring to mind ,also Fleetwood Mac but I haven't kept the receipts.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Denon DCD-480.

I waited for a few years until I jumped in the CD pool. It sounded great at the demo and for about a week after I got it home.

After that I began to realise just how poo CD sound really was because I just went off my whole hifi. Sold it soon afterwards (along with the twenty or so discs I had purchased) to a colleague - who thought I was mad - and bought an Audio-Technica MC cartridge for my Rega Planar 3 and a Sony WM6-DC Walkman 'Pro' (the nicest tape deck I ever had.)

T

the record spot

Marantz CD52 MkII in 1992 - first discs were Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells II and Tom Robinson's Living In a Boom Time I think.

A

Anonymous

the record spot:Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells II
I forgot about that one. I must have played that disk through the Mission DAD5 more than any other disk. Superb. Tubular Bells (original) was better though.

manicm

Was a vinyl collector until 1990 when I got a Technics CDP SL-P202, and never looked back, was still in my late teens. I loved it and in our already 6-year old Technics system it sounded great, even compared to the excellent turntable we had. This CDP was an 16-bit, twin DAC design, pre MASH gimmickry, and just 4x oversampling! And no remote-control either.

I never seemed to experience the common perceptions of CD hardness but rather revelled in the transparency and timing of the music, and there was not a trace of sibilance and fatigue, I could listen all day long, just great clarity. Our amp and speakers also helped in this regard, there was great synergy.

Oh, I think the first 3 CDs I got was Led Zeppelin IV, Prefab Sprout's Jordan: The Comeback (still one of my all time greats), and Beethoven's 5th Symphony.

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
chebby:

Denon DCD-480.

I waited for a few years until I jumped in the CD pool. It sounded great at the demo and for about a week after I got it home.

After that I began to realise just how poo CD sound really was because I just went off my whole hifi. Sold it soon afterwards (along with the twenty or so discs I had purchased) to a colleague - who thought I was mad - and bought an Audio-Technica MC cartridge for my Rega Planar 3 and a Sony WM6-DC Walkman 'Pro' (the nicest tape deck I ever had.)

Nice one Chebs!

A

Anonymous

In 1986 a denon ? cd player. cds- INXS, Shaboo Shabaa; English Beat, Special Beat Service; REM, Murmer. Soon after filed records under delete. Any regrets? Yes and no. System- NAD 3020, Nakamichi ? Speakers, EPI 120, Turntable Dual 714q.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
My first CD player was a Yamaha CDX100 in 1991 from Richer Sounds. Great sound but could be a bit tizzy. What I have now would wipe the floor with it.

ÿ

I was a late starter. I only bought my first CD player in 1999, a Rotel RCD 975, s/hand from my manager at the time. It retailed at £500 and it cost me £150. I loved the sound of it, married well with my Arcam Alpha 7R.

The first cd's I bought on the same day was Blur's single Tender. With that I also purchased Lennie Kravitz album 'Let Love Rule'.

Andy H

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
Mine was a Technics cd player bought about 1983, can't remember the model number but I remember it was about £550.
The first cd was Thriller. The first time I played it there I was, all excited as you are with a new bit of kit. Turned the volume up and pressed the play button.

I nearly jumped out of my skin, no hiss/crackle or pops and the music was very loud. Turned down to a normal volume I couldn't believe what I was hearing, I was immediately converted from vinyl to cd.

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
My first CD player was a second hand front loading Matsui for £10 in 1990. It sounded pretty bad like most of the earlier players did.

My first disk was Tori Amos - Under The Pink found on the pavement. A great album at a great price. The first CD I bought was Van Morrison - Moondance, 2nd hand again for not very much. First new CD was a 2 disc Django Reinhardt CD for £5.

matthewpiano

My first CD player, in about 1989, was a Saishio CD-X200 and the first CD was a recording of Jeno Jano playing Schumann (which I still have). I very quickly upgraded to a Sony CD-P110 which was followed by a CDP-597.

The Saishio used to make strange 'swishing' sounds in teh background when playing piano music. Cheap rubbish!!

A

Anonymous

First CD player was bought in Dec 1990 from KY West One, a Meridian 206B. I still have it although it did need a repair a few years back. Still sounds great.

Not sure what my first CD was, since I had 12" before then. First album was Supertramp - Paris.

A

Anonymous

I was 13 when I bought a Sony portable player off a friend in roughly '91 for £50. It was square and surprisingly small considering the era. I plugged it into a hand-me-down Hitachi silver Mini system which no doubt sounded pants. I then started reading WHF and upgraded to a Philips "Bitstream" CD920 CDP in about '94, which I still have. It works sporadically.

First discs were pretty awful....Duran Duran Ordinary World single, Erasure Pop 20 (No idea where this is now!), Counting Crows - August and Everything After (great album, may play it today)

A

Anonymous

Mine was a Philips back in the mid eighties can't remember model or price I think it was only 14bit. It came with an offer for I think six free CDs not much choice I got Brothers in Arms, Cameo Word Up and some classical.

idc

It was 1998 and a Sony something, recommended by What Hifi and auditioned in Richer sounds against a Marantz I knew I could not afford. Thankfully the salesman left me on my own as it was obvious which one was better. The Sony was OK, but as soon as I could it was upgraded, with another audition at Richer sounds with an Arcam and a Marantz, and the Arcan Alpha 7 won.

As for CDs I bought about 50 at the same time, financed by the sale of my record collection, shiver! But I got a very good discount. It was primarily Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Yes, Peter Gabriel solo and with Genesis.

A

Anonymous

The first CD player I heard was in Royal Station Hotel whilst at University in Newcastle in 1983.

Philips were doing a demo.

Me and a mate were sat in a room with a dozen strangers (all with beards & rucksacks! - but not us).

The sound quality was amazing in comparison to vinyl.

26 years later I was sat in a room in Bristol Marriott Hotel (WHF Sound & Vision) with a dozen strangers (all with beards and rucksacks) listening to how mains cables affect sound quality.

I wonder what I'll be doing in 2035.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
In 1989 I bought a marantz cd65 and the welcome to the Pleasuredome cd by Frankie GTH. I played it side by side with the LP version on a rega planar 2 with ortofon cartridge. I couldn't distinguish them musically. The cd did have less background hiss tho'.

A

Anonymous

A Cyrus dAD 3 with the Cyrus Straight Line amp and matching power amp (can't remember the name of it!) and Mission 753's.

It'd taken weeks to save for it aswell with the crappy job I had at the time.

A

Anonymous

hi arw77 i also still use the mission 753 speakers i still love the sound they make
i was also wondeing if any of you prefer cd or turntable sounds
i myself think both have their merits.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts