Your favourite Punk albums

• Thread starter BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW
  • Start date
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

While we're at it, how about Punk?

The Ruts - The Crack (the best punk album)

Discharge - Hear Nothing See Nothing Say Nothing

Anti-Pasti - The Last Call

The Clash - The Clash

The Stranglers - No More Heroes

Stiff Little Fingers - Inflammable Material

and I suppose I'll have to include:-

Sex Pistols - Never Mind The B******s

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
In no particular order:

The Sex Pistols - Nevermind...

Nirvana - Nevermind

Green Day - American Idiot

The Descendents - Everything Sucks

Foo Fighters - Foo Fighters

" " - The Color And The Shape

Bad Religion - Stranger Than Fiction

" " - The Process Of Belief

3 Colours Red - Pure

Dead Sara - Dead Sara

Seems I haven't heard or don't like a lot of what folk call punk. Mind, I've just seen a list of punk albums with a Justin Timberlake album on it (I think his first solo album).

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
While we're at it, how about Punk?

The Ruts - The Crack (the best punk album)

Discharge - Hear Nothing See Nothing Say Nothing

Anti-Pasti - The Last Call

The Clash - The Clash

The Stranglers - No More Heroes

Stiff Little Fingers - Inflammable Material

and I suppose I'll have to include:-

Sex Pistols - Never Mind The B******s

I would add 'In The City' by The Jam and The Ramones self-titled album and Green Days 'Warning' album.

philipjohnwright

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
That's easy........errr................none.

And that's as one who is 52 and therefore lived through the height of punk. An almost complete lack of anything vaguely musical. Which is perhaps the point, it was all about capturing the anger of youth wasn't it? I wonder how angry Mr Weller is these days?!!

All of which is my personal opinion, if others like it (as indeed a lot of my contempories did) then fine, each to their own (another way of saying don't flame me please!)

Phil

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

philipjohnwright said:
An almost complete lack of anything vaguely musical.

Sorry, you're entitled to your opinion, but you're wrong in this case. I suggest you listen to The Crack by The Ruts, all three musicians were top drawer.

philipjohnwright

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
BBB

OK, it's on Qobuz so I've just favourited it and will give it a listen - never let it be said I've got a closed mind. Now can I interest you in some jazz funk?!!! (if yes try Brian Culbertson - Live from the Inside)

Phil

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

philipjohnwright said:
BBB

OK, it's on Qobuz so I've just favourited it and will give it a listen - never let it be said I've got a closed mind. Now can I interest you in some jazz funk?!!! (if yes try Brian Culbertson - Live from the Inside)

Phil

I'll find the time later to have a look. I genuinely like all stylesof music, though I am picky within the genre. Jazz/Funk wise, I like JTQ, Brand New Heavies, I like funky Jazz, like Jimmy Smith, keyboard stuff really, but I'm not too kean on musicians that are technically good, and have to prove it every time they play something though.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I can't say I'm a huge fan of Punk, so making a list of 5 is a non-starter. I do though like The Ramones and a few tunes by The Sex Pistols. I realise that The Pretenders weren't wholey a punk band, but some of their tunes certainly had a punk edge. I'm thinking mainly of their first album, which still remains one of my all-time favourite albums.....

geordie777

May 16, 2012
Visit site
Never MInd The Bo*****s - Sex Pistols

Give Em Enough Rope - The Clash

Rattus Norvegius _ The Stranglers

Black And White - The Stranglers

Separates - 999

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
PS - Seeing all these band names makes me realise I actually quite liked a lot of Punk :)

Try this, you may or may not like the vocals, but the drumming, guitar work, and bass playing is truly awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZX2yd-8Arw&feature=kp

Roundhead 5000

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Good call with Discharge BBB.

There are loads.

Mine are:

The Damned - Machine Gun Etiquette

The Stranglers - Rattusnorvegicus

GBH - City Baby Attacked By Rats

Vice Squad - Stand Strong Stand Proud

Anti Nowhere league - We are the league

I would like to say that Nirvana are not punk, nor are Green Day, not in or from the 'Punk' era that I think the OP is referring to. Or at least not what I consider Punk to be...... And as for Foo fighters - F***k right off. :O

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Freddy58 said:
PS - Seeing all these band names makes me realise I actually quite liked a lot of Punk :)

Try this, you may or may not like the vocals, but the drumming, guitar work, and bass playing is truly awesome.

They obviously know what they're doing, but not really my thing, especially the vocals ;) This is more my thing. I suppose I like something more melodious? I know that a lot of Punk bands went for that 'ballzy' sound, but if I want ballz (so to speak), I normally turn to AC/DC :)

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Freddy58 said:

They obviously know what they're doing, but not really my thing, especially the vocals ;) This is more my thing. I suppose I like something more melodious? I know that a lot of Punk bands went for that 'ballzy' sound, but if I want ballz (so to speak), I normally turn to AC/DC :)

Savage Circle is one of my all time favourite songs, but Babylon's Burning and Staring At The Rude Boys aren't far behind.

Try this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01zIS6oYqec

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Try this Freddy :grin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hyk9HbSSra0

I genuinely love it.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Aye up Big fella :)

I really liked that Jah Wars thingy. Given that I don't really like Reggae, I think the Punk/Reggae thing really works. For some reason, I seemed to get the Clash 'vibe' with that? As for 'The Blood Runs Red', I didn't 'get' it, sorry. I can understand it will be relevant to some, but not to me.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Freddy58 said:

I really liked that Jah Wars thingy. Given that I don't really like Reggae, I think the Punk/Reggae thing really works. For some reason, I seemed to get the Clash 'vibe' with that? As for 'The Blood Runs Red', I didn't 'get' it, sorry. I can understand it will be relevant to some, but not to me.

BTW, I note that 'Jah Wars' is over 6 minutes long, does that nearly qualify it as 'Prog'? :grin:

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:

The Ruts could really play, the bass player and drummer were well sort after as session musicians, and Paul Fox was a brilliant guitar player. Some don't regard them as punk because of their musicianship, but Malcolm Owen's vocal delivery is probably the best of all the punk vocalist. They could turn their hand to anything, reggae was as natural as rock, and after Malcolm Owen died, they became a reggae/dub band.

I can understand you not liking Discharge, not that many people do, but they (in my opinion) started a new genre of music, and any band that starts something totally new has to be respected, if not liked.

This is quite tuneful for them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EGvPwllchw

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Listening to that, I have to wonder, are you a closet 'Metal' fan? :) Again, not my thing. I have to say though, it must have been a real buzz for those fans listening to that live. Live music (I don't mean albums) takes some beating ;)

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Listening to that, I have to wonder, are you a closet 'Metal' fan? :) Again, not my thing. I have to say though, it must have been a real buzz for those fans listening to that live. Live music (I don't mean albums) takes some beating ;)

Don't like metal Freddy.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts