Yet another OLED TV panel technology is on the way: is PHOLED the future?

Friesiansam

I couldn't care less about a TV being able to go to uncomfortable brightness levels. What matters is whether it can still suffer from image retention and, will it still deteriorate in the same way as existing OLEDs in long term use, with the accompanying colour shift?

podknocker

Yay! Another panel technology. There must be a dozen now and nobody knows which will be the most reliable and actually corner the market.

I remember a chat with an LG rep, in a John Lewis 2 or 3 years ago and he said the blue does suffer fade much earlier and their panels use white, with red and green filters, so blue is retained. I must read more about this.

It does appear that the blues are difficult to get right, with any panel technology.

With anything OLED related, image retention will be an issue and screen burn probable.

I know there is software to 'reset' the panel and clear much of this, but it still feels there's a long way to go.

TV stuff is exhausting now.

Last edited:
With anything OLED related, image retention will be an issue and screen burn probable.
I've had mine for a couple of years now, and not a hint of either. Previous plasmas didn't get burn but did have some image retention.

Two years isn't a long time (and I watch almost nothing with static images), but I think OLED has been a step forward with these issues in comparison with plasma, as well as being a significant jump in PQ.

Time will tell.

podknocker

I've had mine for a couple of years now, and not a hint of either. Previous plasmas didn't get burn but did have some image retention.

Two years isn't a long time (and I watch almost nothing with static images), but I think OLED has been a step forward with these issues in comparison with plasma, as well as being a significant jump in PQ.

Time will tell.
Yep. Watching constantly moving images will increase the life of the panel. Having static images at very high brightness is going to be an issue. The thing is, you shouldn't need to worry about this. We never did with CRTs.

Friesiansam

Yep. Watching constantly moving images will increase the life of the panel. Having static images at very high brightness is going to be an issue. The thing is, you shouldn't need to worry about this. We never did with CRTs.
Stay with LCD, you’ll never get image retention, ever.

Whatever marketing name they are given, LED, QLED etc, the underlying display panel will be an IPS or VA (eg Samsung QLED) LCD panel and, LCD will not suffer retention.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts