Yamaha RXV-A820 decided, but which speakers MA BX series or RX?

christotten

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
Folks I've been on here before looking at the cheaper award winnnd 673 amp from Yamaha but decided against in the end, not for any reason other than I need to guarentee what I get is good for music as well as whang bang cinema effects and the Aventage amps seem to get great write ups.

Problem is speakers - I can't audition easily, only in a very small area, so need to go on what other people are advising - not ideal I know but live in NI and HiFi shopping here is bloody terrible.

Ive narrowed it down to the Monitor Audio range for definite, they seem to be a great match for the Yamaha amps in general - and was looking at the Bronze MX series, BX5 floorstanders for front, Bx1 for rear, BX centre and MXW10 for sub (evenually, might not get day one)

However I'm wondering if I should spend a bit more and get the Silver RX range - the RX6 and co? Would it be a good match for the 820 Amp, or overkill for it? I've heard great things about the BX range and am upgrading from a 15 year old (at least!) pair of Tannoy Mercury M2's (and Pioneer A300x Sereo Amp!)

All advise welcome especially from lucky folk who have decent listening facilities - dealer comments welcome also.

Thanks in advance

Chris

chris hollands

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Hi christotten,

Yea , a really good match, i auditioned the BX range and the RX pretty comprehensively when i purchased my gear and the RX is a definite step up in quality, however, you will pay quite a premium for it !!

If your room is not too big you may find the BX is adequate ?

I would also recommend you look at alternative makes of subs as i think this is a slightly weak link in the Monitor Audio range, and possibly save money there!

Good luck with your search and as always, do not take my word or any one elses as gospel, have a good audition of the different ranges and brands and enjoy the buying process.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi christotten, after studying the reviews (and without a demo) I went for the BX2 5.1 range. My hifi is a separate system (although sharing the same room) so I only needed it for HC and to be honest that was about as much as I could afford. Even without the sub (currently looking at other makes of sub to complete the 5.1) watching films is a joy (my room is 5m x 4m with little furniture). I also use the internet radio a lot (using direct mode) which also sounds very good.

However, if I was going for one system I would be looking at the RX range. Eventually I will upgrade my hifi amp and speakers taking the combined cost over that of the RX6 av12 set up. It all depends on your room size and budget.

christotten

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for your useful comments guys, room size is about 410 cm deep by 410 cm wide but open at one side into a dining area / kitchen, ultimately (when some work done on house) might move into a bigger room - this is like a family room.

The 820 looks like a stunning amp, but some people saying that I should get the older gen 1010 or even 2010 instead, they don't have Airplay integrated (and no 4K support) but I have an Apple TV unit already and hear it's better to use that - you get album art etc, what do you think?

The problem with both the older Yamaha 1010 and 2010 AV amps and Silver RX range is that I'm not sure my local Richer Sounds have them - in fact RS don't seem to do the RX range at all or am I mistaken? (their web site doesn't list em)

I'm waiting on a new tely stand arriving to accomadate the height of both the AV amp and a centre speaker, after that it's decision time..! I don't mind waiting for subs and rears, so would like to order up at least the amp, then front L & R, then centre (or all at once funds / choice permitting) - I definitely want to get something that I'm happy with for music and the old movies.. mnnnn decisions

Thanks again

Chris

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
The BX is not in the same league as the RX. In comparison it lacks the control and assertiveness of the RX series when playing music or watching films.

RX without a doubt.

christotten

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
OK RX it is - to be honest I'd more or less decided to spend the bit extra, I hate that I can't listen to them in person but people seem to have nothing bad to say about them.

On the 820 versus 1010/2010 what do you think? The decision might be made for me if I can't find the 2010/1010 anywhere, will have to go hunting later, but happy to spend on the RX now and do the cinema thing bit by bit f necessary, or funds permitting get the lot (sans Sub) now. The Amp is the big decision now.

Anyone own RX speakers with either Yamaha 820, 1010, 2010 or similar Aventage amps and any experience, particular when upgrading? Did you notice a big difference moving up the range?

Thanks again guys, input is invaluable.

Regards

Chris

david_tring

Jan 20, 2008
Visit site
chris hollands said:
Hi christotten,

Yea , a really good match, i auditioned the BX range and the RX pretty comprehensively when i purchased my gear and the RX is a definite step up in quality, however, you will pay quite a premium for it !!

If your room is not too big you may find the BX is adequate ?

I would also recommend you look at alternative makes of subs as i think this is a slightly weak link in the Monitor Audio range, and possibly save money there!

Good luck with your search and as always, do not take my word or any one elses as gospel, have a good audition of the different ranges and brands and enjoy the buying process.

Hello to Chris Holland (and to jonathanrebbecca) - sorry if this is off-topic but I'm considering the MA RX6av12 that you show in your list of kit and so am interested in your comment about their sub. What problems do you have with it and what would you replace it with?

Regards - David

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi David,

I have the MA BX2 5.1 setup but without the sub - I haven't bought it yet.

I started to pick up some 'luke-warm' comments about them. The BXW10 retails for £450 (£400 in some sales recently). But I started reading reviews of the BK Electrics range - the XXLS400 can be purchased for £425 and has a higher spec with great reviews. I'm also interested in the potential of the High & Low level capabilities.

Saving my pennies at present, Jonathan

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts