Yamaha RX-V1065 set up

stealth1980

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Ive had the above amp for about 18 months and find it great. Ive just upgraded from my old Mission 7.1 set up to The Monitor Audio BX5.1 set up including 4x BX-FX the BX5 and matching centre speaker. I pre-out the front channel into My Arcam A85 amp which i still use for listening to CDs.

So to my question, there is 3 settings im not quite sure about with regard to the amp and speakers. The rears are set up as Di-pole iaw the MA instructions, when looking through the Yamaha settings im unsure about a few settings:

Speaker size for rears and centre - Small or Large ?

Should i use the Auto PEG or select one of the other settings? think its gep ?

The setting for Front, flat or Natural, it says use Front if the fronts are superior quality, which i have but ive read people saying that this can give muffled results

When i use the auto setting with the mic it keeps setting the cross over for the sub to 160hz, when i would of thought it would need to be around 80hz?

thanks

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
If you set the speaker size to small for all & the sub crossover to 100 Hz it would still be ok. Bear in mind that the dedicated LFE channel has signals as high as 120 Hz being sent to it by DD Tru HD & DTS MA HD according to both of their websites. You can always alter it to suit your personal taste. The fronts i would experiment with, personally I use Natural on my Yamaha amp.

Regards ...

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Intereating f1 that dd may send 120hz to lfe. I would welcome the reference for that one. I have mostly set fronts large, others small and 80hz crossover but recently tried 100hz to good effect. PEQ is good for starters imo, but I always switch to eq to tweak. Centre and sub always need adjustments. I recon the room acoustics will alwaus effect the settings, especially crossover so recommendations will always sayexperiment to take these factors into account

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Plus 1 with usually upping the centre & Sub a few notches, i found a SPL meter was worth the investment for me & then added just a notch of gain on both. DD can go up to around 120 Hz, i was refering to True HD rather than DD although it can get close.

The following extract from Dolby’s website....

Dolby Digital 5.1-channel audio is composed of five full-bandwidth channels (left, right, centre, left surround, right surround) and one bass-only channel, called the LFE, or low-frequency effects, channel. The LFE channel is used for extra bass in Dolby Digital soundtracks, and is band limited to frequencies less than 120 Hz.

If you want the link Clicky to read the whole article. Yes i appreciate it applies to games on the extract i have picked.

Regards .. Paul

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
stealth1980 said:
Ive had the above amp for about 18 months and find it great. Ive just upgraded from my old Mission 7.1 set up to The Monitor Audio BX5.1 set up including 4x BX-FX the BX5 and matching centre speaker. I pre-out the front channel into My Arcam A85 amp which i still use for listening to CDs.

So to my question, there is 3 settings im not quite sure about with regard to the amp and speakers. The rears are set up as Di-pole iaw the MA instructions, when looking through the Yamaha settings im unsure about a few settings:

Speaker size for rears and centre - Small or Large ?

Should i use the Auto PEG or select one of the other settings? think its gep ?

The setting for Front, flat or Natural, it says use Front if the fronts are superior quality, which i have but ive read people saying that this can give muffled results

When i use the auto setting with the mic it keeps setting the cross over for the sub to 160hz, when i would of thought it would need to be around 80hz?

thanks

Stealth, when you say the 5.1 set-up do you mean 7.1 (4 x BX-FX?) or are you using the second pair for front height?

I use a 5.1 set-up with the silver range (with the RX-FX as surrounds, set to dipole), and the auto-set up on the pioneer amp set all speakers to 'large' with the sub cross over set to 80hz, as you expected with yours. 160hz is definitely not right so something's going wrong with the auto set-up process somewhere.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Agreed MrM. 160 seems high. I have run auto as a base line and it gives various xovers from 40-60 usually. I seem to remember it once gave an odd high but I reran it. Always from the same position but cant workout why it changes. 80 is recommended but with 'big' fronts I would think 60 may work. In fact I find 100 better. I put it down to room acoustics but ears work best imo. Speaker position ofcourse can play a huge effect inc toe-in. Auto peq always sounds dull and recessed to me so I use it only to set distance & phase. I then compare eq with no eq for my preferred balance.
Finally I would say dont be worried about trying 'less than recommended' settings since different rooms, equipment & ears are in the mix.

stealth1980

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
sorry ye should have said, i upgraded to a MA 7.1 system ye using 4 x BX-FX in dipole. I tried with small for centre and surrounds and cross over at 100hz, with tone set to natural, but it seems clearer now but a little underwhelming compared to before.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts