Yamaha RSW12 and Yamaha RXV3900 setup...?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi I am in the middle of setting up my RS6AV speaker setup and Yamaha RXV3900 amp. I set my sub up as instructed 'low pass filter' to out, frequency to max at 120Hz and the volume at about 11 o'clock. I then run the YPAO on the amp, everything seemed fine, it set all my speakers to large with a crossover of 40Hz, I then played a movie with lots of bass (Tropic Thunder) and the sub was as quiet as a mouse.....gutted, especially after reading all the great reviews. Can anybody possible tell me what I am doing wrong?

A

Anonymous

I have the same amp, but with B&W speakers. I found that the auto set up works fine, but the amp blends the sub into the system in a very subtle way. If you want more sound from it, just turn it up a little.

A

Anonymous

Are you getting any sound at all from it? I recently bought a Velodyne MicroVee and connected it to my RX-V3900, and sometimes if the sub goes into eco/sleep mode it can take a few minutes for it to wake up and remember it should be on. I didn't do the auto setup, I just did it manually using my ears to decide what I liked. I'll get the mic out this week maybe to redo it and see what happens. Very nice little sub too, if I turn it up more than 10% I am in neighbour frightening territory, despite it only being a 9 inch cube!

A

Anonymous

I am still not getting anything. I am now starting to think that my sub is broken, as even when I set the test tone on the amp, the sound from the sub is barley audioable at nearlly full volume on the sub volume control.

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
Despite your speakers being 'large' and capable of producing low frequencies, I'd predict that you'll get better results with the sub doing more of the work. 40Hz is a very low crossover setting and you might be better with a more conventional 80Hz. When you do the set-up, leave the sub volume at about half-way. Try it out and then fine tune. After all of that, could adjust the phase? That will also affect the quality of bass from your sub and should be set to whichever position you prefer.

A

Anonymous

The test tone for the sub isn't particularly loud, it's the same idea as the test tone for the other speakers, so it's not a pulse, just a single "white noise" type signal. It doesn't sound very loud at all. Best way to check it's alive at all is to put a disc on with an explosion. You'll feel it through the floor same time you hear! When I use my test tone I wouldn't describe it as "loud" due to the type of sound it is...but put a disc on using the same settings and you can hear/feel it much better.

I have my crossover at 80Hz. Even experiment with the crossovers using a movie with explosions, see what suits you best...you should notice the difference with each step.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply. Do you have the sub low pass filter set to out or in?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
mrjjinx:Hi I am in the middle of setting up my RS6AV speaker setup and Yamaha RXV3900 amp. I set my sub up as instructed 'low pass filter' to out, frequency to max at 120Hz and the volume at about 11 o'clock. I then run the YPAO on the amp, everything seemed fine, it set all my speakers to large with a crossover of 40Hz, I then played a movie with lots of bass (Tropic Thunder) and the sub was as quiet as a mouse.....gutted, especially after reading all the great reviews. Can anybody possible tell me what I am doing wrong?

Forget the settings on the RSW12 as long as you have it on. Set up your receiver to do the work. I have my front left and right set to 80Hz and my centre at 90Hz. I have the Radius 90 as rear speakers so they are set to 100Hz but for you, I would go with 90Hz. Have the speakers set as small and then wait for the boom!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the help I am finally getting somewhere. Can I just ask you a few more question. Do I have to set the speakers to small to allow me to set the cross over. Totally unrelated do you let your amp process the Sky signal upto 1080P and have the sky box set to Auto. I really appreciate the help.

A

Anonymous

mrjjinx:Thanks for the reply. Do you have the sub low pass filter set to out or in?

Don't know where that setting is!

In the Amp setup for
subwoofer, I've got Phase > Normal and Bass Out > SWFR - check
you haven't got it set to "Front" or it won't output to the sub at all.
I've got a switch on the back of my sub which lets me change phase.
I've found it makes no noticeable difference playing with my Phase
settings.

Check your cables too. I found the cable into the back of the sub needed a bit more effort than I initially used, it wasn't in properly first time I set it up, and this led to intermittent sound.

Did you get a Y-adaptor with your sub for the connection to it? I didn't need it, but the manual to my sub says you may need the adaptor to feed the signal through both inputs...the symptoms being a low volume or not waking up after going into eco mode. I've tried with and without but not noticed any difference, you have a different sub so that may help?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
mrjjinx:Thanks for the help I am finally getting somewhere. Can I just ask you a few more question. Do I have to set the speakers to small to allow me to set the cross over. Totally unrelated do you let your amp process the Sky signal upto 1080P and have the sky box set to Auto. I really appreciate the help.

I don't have your amp but that is the reason to set them to small.

As for the other question, yes, I would set it to auto and have the receiver set to upscale to 1080p.

A

Anonymous

Yes, I've got my Fronts set to small and have the crossover set to 80Hz (but that is my personal preference, you may like a difference level) I wouldn't go as low as 40Hz, the RX-V3900 jumps up to 60 then 80, 90 100, etc. No option for 50 or 70. Pick what you prefer...you'll hear it coming in more and more on a test disc while you change the crossover.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts