Yamaha Ns-SW200 or Wharfedale SW150 sub woofer

johnnyboy1950

May 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm close to buying a sub to augment my new Monitor Audio BX2 speakers. The wharfedale sw150 looks promising but the yamaha has caught my attention. Previews describe it as PWM digital drive high efficiency amplifier and dual feedback circuit and new Twisted Flare Port contributes to clear and tight bass. It also looks amazing. The weird thing is I cannot find one single review on any internet site, good or bad. Not by professionals or consumers. It's like a news blackout. Anybody had experience of one and how does it compare with the SW150?

Thanks

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
I wouldn't be sucked in by Twisted Flares etc...it's all just manufacturers gobbledegook! Go with reviews of similarly priced subs which you'll be able to go and listen to before buying - a sub normally sits in a corner out of the way it looks doesn't really matter that much.

If you're after sound quality then I would look at BK or go seconhand.

Ro-Tang Clan

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately I do not have any news on the new Yamaha subwoofer, but being an owner of the Wharfedale SW150 for many years I can give a little insight to help you. That thing is a little monster, on paper it doesn't seem powerful and it isn't that powerful, but it's very precise and dynamic.

I've never had a listen to the Gemini II BK subwoofer, but judging by the review it seems like it has a bigger boomy sound perfect for movies, but isn't so great for music. There's also the fact the Gemini is a downward firing sub - not ideal for a flat or a bedroom. IMO the Wharfedale is a better allrounder and that shows in the review too, not to mention it's cheaper.

If I were you though I'd personally have a demo setup of the subs you want. If you live in the UK, the Hi-Fi retailer Superfi is a very good partner of Yamaha and may be able to get you a demo alongside the Wharfedale SW150 which they sell.

Also, what is with people on here always refering to BK Electronics? I understand they may be good and well respected, but the OP didn't ask about that company. He specifically requested information on the subs in his thread title. I had the same thing in my sub thread too. The default answer shouldn't just be go to BK, that's just really unhelpful. Give help based on what the OP has requested first and then refer to something else as a "by the way, did you know this exists too?" kind of thing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts