YAMAHA DSPAX763 or Onkyo TXSR606 with Mordaunt Short 902i

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Please can anyone advise me as to which of these amps would sound the best paired with MS 902i's as front speakers, I also have Mordaunt Short 302 AVANT will I plan to use for rear speakers, I will purchase a sub at a later date.

I understand from reviews that the 606 may be a bit harsh with the treble and the 902i's may not be the best match, I wonder if the Yamaha would be a better match. But most shop assistants I have spoken to seem to prefer the 606, but I am still undecided. I also like the fact that the Yamaha has pre out's which would give me the option of adding a HIFI amp at a later date.

Thanks in advance

Peter

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
Hi Peter

First of all, I have the Yamaha and the 'nail on the coffin' was the fact that this AV has pre-outs for the same reason you note above. I can't comment on the sound ability as paired with the speakers you have but I have Monitor Audio BR5s and BR1s with a BRLCR and I am very satisfied with the performance. Not sure why the shops you went to recommended the Onkyo, did they actually stock the Yamaha?

A

Anonymous

I also have the yamaha amp, ms 902i fronts,ms 905 centre,ms 903 rears, i think they sound very good for films and music, ive had this set up for about two months and it seems to be getting better al the time, or that could be the stella taking hold,(it still sounds good when sober)

A

Anonymous

Thank you both for the replies

I have been to Richer Sounds on several different occasions and all the staff recommend the 606, in preference to the Yamaha, especially for music which is surprising, I find the staff at RS to be very honest and not motivated by profit so I do respect their choice

I think I will have to give the Yamaha a listen. I have heard the 606 with micro MS speakers it sounded pretty good, I think I need to audition both with my speakers.

My budget is very tight so I am just after the the amp that meets all my requirements at the cheapest price, my main requirement is for the amp to be pretty good with music and to have a zone 2 capability.

Thanks again

Peter

A

Anonymous

sorry to reopen this thread but I have been wondering the very same thing with regard to these two amps, My Xmas present will be one of these amps and the ability to add a hifi amp might just sway me towards the Yamaha...however, i am going to have to confess my ignorance here as i have no idea how this would be set up. I have a 7.1 setup with Kef Q5's at the front, 4 surrounds using KHT 2005s and KEF IQ2c centre.

would someone be so kind to explain how i would physically add a stereo amp into my av setup (assuming i go for the Yamaha...)

Cheers, Rich

A

Anonymous

Brilliant, thank you Andrew.

(not sure why i couldn't find this when i searched....)

thanks again

TRENDING THREADS