Yamaha DSP Z7 or RXV3900 Is it worth the EXTRA money

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am new to the cinema av world and I have a couple of problems if somebody could help point me in the right direction. 1. I am looking to purchase the RX Z7 or the RXV 3900 but cant put my finger on what i am getting for the extra money. 2 I would like to find out if it is possible to stream HD movie content through the receiver to my tv and how this could be done. 3. I am thinking of running the B & W 685 home theatre kit through it would this be suitable.

A

Anonymous

I have the DSP Z7 and had the RXV 3900, the Z7 sounds better and i'd say it is worth the extra money. Go to the US portion of the yamaha website and do a comparison on the specs.

For HD content connect bluray to amp via HDMI and amp and TV via HDMI.

I'm sure the 685 speaker package will be fine with the Z7 and 3900.

A

Anonymous

Instead of getting the 685 package, maybe you can consider getting the cheaper RXV-3900 but spend more on the speaker package? WHF tens to recommend the 685 package with either the RXV-1900 or even the 863 so my guess would be that the 3900 is more than sufficient.

If you're getting the Z7, then maybe you should be getting higher end speakers?

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
The Z7 is noticeably better than the 3900 but I too would suggest a higher performing speaker package to get the most from it. The Z7 will not embarrass itself on speakers costing many times more than the B&W.

Nick

A

Anonymous

I agree with seakingadvice, the v3900 with a slighter better speaker package say even the B&W 684's would be an excellent choice. While the Z7 is no doubt an excellent amp i feel you would need to team it with much more expensive speakers to really hear the extra quality.

A

Anonymous

If i was to look at upgrading the speaker package would the monitor audio rs1av do the job. The wife would not be impressed with floor standing speakers so they are a no no.

A

Anonymous

im not personally familiar with those speakers but from what I've read they should do a decent job.

A

Anonymous

The downside of the rxv 3900 is: theres a loud intermittent static pop sound that comes out from the speakers during engagement of the dsp modes, for instance say: Amsterdam hall, Vienna hall and than crossing over to Music video or back to Munic hall etc.This can damage the speakers, and Yamaha will be held libel, if these Japanese engineers don't look into the QC at their Malaysian factories. The Audio digital inputs sometimes don't work at all. The Japanese have totally lost their focus. To be fair the audio is great ! Be careful in investing more money on the new models like the Z 7 or the Z 11, for all you know that whole shipment could be in touble or even worse ! if Yamaha does not wake up.

A

Anonymous

I just tried switching my RX-V3900 between the different modes munich hall, music video, etc and I can't hear a static pop...there's a short pause of less than half a second of silence as it changes modes, but nothing other than the right sound coming out.

A

Anonymous

transformerbc: The downside of the rxv 3900 is: theres a loud intermittent static pop sound that comes out from the speakers during engagement of the dsp modes, for instance say: Amsterdam hall, Vienna hall and than crossing over to Music video or back to Munic hall etc.This can damage the speakers, and Yamaha will be held libel, if these Japanese engineers don't look into the QC at their Malaysian factories. The Audio digital inputs sometimes don't work at all. The Japanese have totally lost their focus. To be fair the audio is great ! Be careful in investing more money on the new models like the Z 7 or the Z 11, for all you know that whole shipment could be in touble or even worse ! if Yamaha does not wake up.

I never experienced this with the RVX 3900 or the Z7.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
transformerbc: The downside of the rxv 3900 is: theres a loud intermittent static pop sound that comes out from the speakers during engagement of the dsp modes, for instance say: Amsterdam hall, Vienna hall and than crossing over to Music video or back to Munic hall etc.This can damage the speakers, and Yamaha will be held libel, if these Japanese engineers don't look into the QC at their Malaysian factories. The Audio digital inputs sometimes don't work at all. The Japanese have totally lost their focus. To be fair the audio is great ! Be careful in investing more money on the new models like the Z 7 or the Z 11, for all you know that whole shipment could be in touble or even worse ! if Yamaha does not wake up.

You know, first-time posts like this, full of scurrilous accusations and sweeping generalisations, always amaze me...

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
mark8par:
If i was to look at upgrading the speaker package would the monitor audio rs1av do the job. The wife would not be impressed with floor standing speakers so they are a no no.

No, I reckon you want better than the RS1 package. If you can't get away with floorstanders, how about getting the Gold range bookshelves from MA?

A

Anonymous

This is not an accusation or a sweeping genaralisation. It's the plain truth, and that's what I am stating. Several other people have also experienced the same problem. Like I said it could be that particular shipment. Anyone who is a reviewer or has been in the Hi-Fi business for several years should know this very well, that it can happen to the best of Brands. I have been a Yamaha fan for almost forty years, so one can understand why I am so particular about it's QC and so on.......I'll never stop buying Yamaha AV products, if this is an isolated case which I hope is.

Cheers

A

Anonymous

You are very lucky. This static pop was evident in some Onkyo AV Amps, but the engineers have eradicated the problem, and they are working fine.

A

Anonymous

Had the 3900 for 3 weeks now. NO static pops or anything untoward. A really impressive piece of kit. In addition to the awesome movie audio, the bonus for me is that the audio (streaming via a Squeezebox) is very acceptable to my ears.

A

Anonymous

I had the priviledge of owning some very expensive hi-fi components in the past, and there was this cd player that could not read some of the soft wares which were originals. The manufactorer was magnanimous to admit, and thanked me for pointing out the problem, and they had to revamp that particular model. It was genuine comment without prejudice. As a matter of fact the director of this very well known coy which has been around for almost seventy years praised me for being a loyal supporter.

Please take my comments with an open mind with regards to the RXV 3900, like I said: The sound is great, no two ways about it: unless one is compelled to support it despite of it's flaws for some unknown reasons.

A

Anonymous

You are very fortunate that the intermitten pop sound did not occur in your RXV 3900 ( now I am sure you know what I mean by " you are lucky " ) Technical engineers from the factory itself are looking into this problem right now, as they have acknowledged that there has been a few cases with regards to this matter. It could be a soft ware problem.....Being a Hi-fi engineer myself, I know exactly what I am talking about, and am glad that I have been vindicated.

A

Anonymous

By saying we are "very fortunate" not to have the intermittent pop sound you are implying that is a common fault and having a unit which doesn't exhibit this behaviour is in some way a bit of a fluke. This forum had numerous discussions about powering down issues on the RX-V3900 which seem to have been solved by the latest firmware upgrade. As far as I am aware there hasn't been any discussions about the static noise other than your post. If it was as widespread as you are implying, surely there would be more discussion on it?

I have no doubt there may be the odd unit out there with an issue, just like any other electrical device, but to imply that the owners on this forum are the "lucky" ones, when in fact it appears no one else here has suffered the issue is a little over the top.

As for the engineers looking into the problem right now...I should hope so. If there are a small number of owners who have reported this, then the manufacturer should investiage it. The fact remains, however, it does not appear to be a widespread issue.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Indeed - no reports from Yamaha, though I will follow it up.

Would be interested, Transformer BC, both where you get your info from, and why you've only chosen to contribute to this thread....

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
We have no reports from any of our customers regarding this error or indeed our display units.

As it stands right now we have no reason not to highly recommend every amplifier/receiver in the current Yamaha AV line up.

Nick

A

Anonymous

I am happy to report that I am one of the "fortunate" people with no such problem with my Yamaha amp. :) I'm guessing that there are other lucky people like me out there as well.

A

Anonymous

I have contributed to other threads,and this is not an info that I am getting from someone else. Please read my thread carefully again. I had three different sets delivered to me unfortunately from the same shipment. They differed in their static pop sounds. One unit had static pops which sounded softer, than the other two which were louder. This took place during the engagement of the dsp modes. The local Yamaha engineers did notice this problem for themselves and acknowledged it. Once again please pay careful attention, I have also the Yamaha DSP 11 which I am using for my bigger hall. And you know what ? The unit is working perfectly well.How do you explain that ? Isn't it obvious. Anyone who knows his or her Hi-Fi would know exactly what I am saying.

This could be an isolated case, and it could have happened to you instead of me ! what then ? Just for your info I own a Yamaha processor dsp 1000 which was manufactured more than twenty five years ago, and also a dsp 3070,2070,A5 and the dsp AX1.They are great amps.There are no two ways about it, But problems have to be brought out !!!! You just can't sweep them under the carpet, would you ??????

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
transformerbc:
I have contributed to other threads,

No you haven't - all six of your comments to date have been on this topic

transformerbc:

This could be an isolated case

Not what you were claiming earlier in this thread:

transformerbc: The downside of the rxv 3900 is: theres a
loud intermittent static pop sound that comes out from the speakers
during engagement of the dsp modes, for instance say: Amsterdam hall,
Vienna hall and than crossing over to Music video or back to Munic hall
etc.This can damage the speakers, and Yamaha will be held libel, if
these Japanese engineers don't look into the QC at their
Malaysian factories. The Audio digital inputs sometimes don't work at
all. The Japanese have totally lost their focus. To be fair the audio
is great ! Be careful in investing more money on the new models like
the Z 7 or the Z 11, for all you know that whole shipment could be in
touble or even worse ! if Yamaha does not wake up.

transformerbc:

But problems have to be brought out !!!! You just can't sweep them under the carpet, would you ??????

No, you can't - which is why there are numerous threads on these Forums discussing everything from firmware updates (Yamaha and otherwise) to LCD clouding and more.

I've forwarded this thread to Yamaha. Their immediate response is that there have been no reported incidences of this problem in the UK or Europe - they are investigating right up to source in Japan to see if there are any other reports, and will get back to us. I will pass on their comments as/when they arrive.

Until then, please can we stick to facts, not speculation.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
As promised, here is an official response from Yamaha's engineering dept:

"Symptom: pop sound noise when changing DSP program

In UK we have not received any complaints about this issue from our dealer
base or directly from a customer. We have now checked with all other
European subsidiaries and the USA and turned up no reported complaints.

It has now passed more than 6 month since we started RXV3900, usually if
there is a quality issue we would have already received a lot of reports
from our worldwide business.

Transformer BC said he changed unit 3 times but still suffer from same
symptom please ask WHF to let us know where he lives. We'll support any kind
of service back required and we are more than happy to send one of our AV
technical support team directly to the customer's home. This support will be
available to any location in any Country if this customer is located outside
the UK.

Additional information when changing DSP mode this sometimes generate pop
noise, but pop noise level is very small and we judged it as an acceptable
level in the market. Since pop noise level is very small and a split second
speaker is not damaged at all, we guarantee this point.
If the noise level is big enough to damage speaker it is a defective unit.

Transformer BC said that audio digital inputs sometimes don't work at all
then probably this is a defective unit. If Transformer BC allows us we'd
like to check his unit and his speakers.
Noise issue is sometimes very difficult because some people don't care at
all and some people care very much, therefore we would like to check in this
case.

It is very difficult to erase noise when changing selector completely
because of nature of Amp.
Transformer BC said Z11 has no pop noise; this is natural and understandable
because Z11 price is more than 3 times that of the RX-V3900. Our DSP-Z11 is
much; much higher quality than 3900 in fact the Z11 is our flagship model."

TRENDING THREADS